Another Lube Thread

Defy The Odds

Another Lube Thread

Postby Defy The Odds » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm

So, what are you using?

I have only ever used Rock n Roll Gold but my chain looks disgusting after using it.

Curious to try another lube, maybe a dry lube. What are your thoughts on the lube you use, and why?

RonK

Re: Another Lube Thread

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Rock 'N' Roll Gold is a dry lube. If you think it looks disgusting, wait until you try a wet lube.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:18 am

RonK wrote:Rock 'N' Roll Gold is a dry lube. If you think it looks disgusting, wait until you try a wet lube.
How is it dry? It's wet as. I am guessing because of the degreaser in it also, it brings up all the muck from the chain. I find it very messy and am considering a dry lube or a wax lube....

What do you all use and why?

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:17 am

Defy The Odds wrote:What do you all use and why?
I use a parrafin wax/turps lube.

I use it because turps washes it off real quick. Clean and relube takes less than five minutes. I do this every second day or 100km.

I have tried a few different wet and dry lubes and they all will hold sand and grit. Some better than others. SO I just clean frequently.

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:18 am

I use squirt lube, never wipe or otherwise, though do give it all a blast with the high pressure fine nozzle air compressor gun, every other month or so, works for me. :)

Ok here's the shot, it's been a few weeks since my last lube and few months since my last air blast...

Still running silky smooth and at least 5000+ on this running gear.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 am

Squirt is the bomb. If you over apply it builds up on jockey wheel etc I just scrap build up off with a satay stick or just a stick. Chain must be dry to apply. You need to degrease chain before using squirt.

I have ridden the Munda Biddi 1.5 times (including wet days) and The Mawson Train in very muddy conditions and some other km. 3000km? in total chain is still ok.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am

I use Rock and roll, its a wet lube, and you are suppose to wipe the excess off.
Mine is super clean and smooth using it.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 am

Just to be clear, I do actually wipe off the excess after applying Rock n Roll Gold, however I notice that after applying the links become very mucky with dark coloured grease type material (old grease/lube?) And is a pain to clean.

To give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve, in comparison, when I take it to my LBS every now and again thry lube the chain but it looks super clean.

After I decrease my cassette it's super clean however after applying Rock n Roll Gold it looks dirty again, should be the opposite I would have thought.

Anyhow now I am exploring other lubes

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 am

I've been using finish line teflon stuff for since forever and have at times used other stuff, but always come back to that. But had some white lightening wax stuff that came in a cleaning kit, and it's really good, happiy using on the road and mtbs, seems to stay cleaner for longer than the finish line stuff.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

Defy The Odds wrote:
RonK wrote:Rock 'N' Roll Gold is a dry lube. If you think it looks disgusting, wait until you try a wet lube.
How is it dry? It's wet as. I am guessing because of the degreaser in it also, it brings up all the muck from the chain. I find it very messy and am considering a dry lube or a wax lube....

What do you all use and why?
I'll say it again - Rock 'N' Roll Gold is a dry lube. And yes, it is a wax lube.

The wax is suspended in solvent as the vehicle to clean the chain and distribute the wax. The solvent evaporates, leaving a wax coating on the chain.

If you let the bottle stand, particularly in cool weather, you will see the wax separate from the solvent.

The mess you see after applying Rock 'N' Roll Gold is the crap you didn't get out when you thought you'd "degreased" the chain. Which demonstrates how well it actually penetrates.

Try a wet i.e. oil based lube and you'll find out what messy is.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:18 am

I am another happy Squirt user.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 pm

RonK wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:
The mess you see after applying Rock 'N' Roll Gold is the crap you didn't get out when you thought you'd "degreased" the chain. Which demonstrates how well it actually penetrates
When I degrease I use a firm brush and usually spend a few minutes cleaning the drivetrain. If I didn't do it properly, what is the correct procedure for this and can you recommend me a good degreaser and cleaning method?

Do you remove the drivetrain completely and soak the sprockets and chain in kerosene? Because short of this I am not sure how much more I can clean the chain

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:When I degrease I use a firm brush and usually spend a few minutes cleaning the drivetrain. If I didn't do it properly, what is the correct procedure for this and can you recommend me a good degreaser and cleaning method?

Do you remove the drivetrain completely and soak the sprockets and chain in kerosene? Because short of this I am not sure how much more I can clean the chain
That is what they do at the bike shop. Take the chain off and soak it in a solvent bath.

You could try the Sheldon Brown method. :D

Or you could just stop being so anal about it. :wink:

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:08 pm

RonK wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:When I degrease I use a firm brush and usually spend a few minutes cleaning the drivetrain. If I didn't do it properly, what is the correct procedure for this and can you recommend me a good degreaser and cleaning method?

That is what they do at the bike shop. Take the chain off and soak it in a solvent bath.

You could try the Sheldon Brown method. :D

Or you could just stop being so anal about it. :wink:
Your last line made me laugh. I was going through a phase where I literally washed the bike including degreasing everytime I rode (3 times a week)... I like having a clean bike and clean drivetrain. I'll have a read of the Sheldon Brown method and give it a go....

I may not have the best bike but it will certainly be the cleanest ! (Or try to be at least)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:I'll have a read of the Sheldon Brown method and give it a go...
:roll:

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:27 pm

RonK wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:I'll have a read of the Sheldon Brown method and give it a go...
:roll:
I just read that article... I dont know anyone in their right mind who would do this, not even me :D

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:47 pm

i think squirt lube is the lube to try next for the OP, cleanest lube i have tried. Purple extreme is another clean option although I didn't have very good experience with that one either.

I found both squirt and rock'n'roll dont last long enough for my liking which is why I don't use either. Admittedly I only tried squirt on the commuter/wet bike.

I use pro link, definelty not cleaner than rock'n'roll but I do find it makes things quiet for a bit longer and it doesn't gunk up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:16 pm

eeksll wrote: I use pro link, definelty not cleaner than rock'n'roll but I do find it makes things quiet for a bit longer and it doesn't gunk up.

I use prolink too and concur with your findings. RnR is great on the mtb though. I would never use prolink there.
Prolink is definitely not cleaner. It produces a nasty black paste that accumulates on chainrings, cassettes and jockey wheels.
Do not walk this paste inside. It will not come out of carpet easily if at all...
This will not make you popular :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 pm

So I've just finished cleaning and degreasing the drivetrain. I spent a little more time and used a better degreaser:

As you can see it came up squeaky clean.

This time when I applied RnR Gold I applied liberally as I always do, but I wiped it down a little longer than normal and now the chain is fairly clean and runs smooth.

Happy with the end result but keen to try a Teflon based lube to see if it makes a difference.

They say a well lubed chain can give you up to 15 watts as opposed to a poorly lubed one supposedly and in any case I think it's just good practice to keep running gear in good order

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 pm

I predict that this excessive (obsessive) cleaning is going to shorten the life of your drive line.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 pm

RonK wrote:I predict that this excessive (obsessive) cleaning is going to shorten the life of your drive line.
Why would degreasing and re-lubricating my driveline decrease it's lifespan ?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Purple Extreme. Amazing stuff that lasts ages
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:29 pm

My chain isn't properly lubed until it has a good thick greasy black build-up and the oil shines in the sun, flinging black droplets all over the back wheel. :)
That's how it should be.
Garden hoses and bikes don't mix.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:So I've just finished cleaning and degreasing the drivetrain.
I hope you took the cassette off to degrease it!
Defy The Odds wrote:and in any case I think it's just good practice to keep running gear in good order
Is it? Cleaning is hardly a necessary item in bicycle maintenance. My bike last just fine without such treatment. Even when left in the rain for 6 months... I'm talking almost 2 decades of use on one and over 2 decades on another...

(Yes I have degreased items before. But I haven't found the need since I've used a more measured approach to my lubing.)

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm

human909 wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:So I've just finished cleaning and degreasing the drivetrain.
I hope you took the cassette off to degrease it!
Defy The Odds wrote:and in any case I think it's just good practice to keep running gear in good order
Is it? Cleaning is hardly a necessary item in bicycle maintenance. My bike last just fine without such treatment. Even when left in the rain for 6 months... I'm talking almost 2 decades of use on one and over 2 decades on another...

(Yes I have degreased items before. But I haven't found the need since I've used a more measured approach to my lubing.)
No, I did not take the cassette off to degrease. I use a light spray on the garden hose not a pressure cleaner.

I have not seen any video or tutorial online that says you need to take the cassette off... why would you need to take the cassette off to degrease it each time?

Every bit of info I have come across says that keeping your chain clean and well lubricated is the easiest and cheapest way to ensure you have less friction loss therefore save watts. Considering the chain is what keeps the wheels turning (literally) in my view it is very important to keep your chain clean and well lubricated.

You leaving your bike out in the rain for 6 months is neglect, in my opinion. Just because nothing failed, does not mean that is neither best practice or even recommended. I would never leave my bike out in the rain....

And most bearings are sealed so I doubt a bit of spray on degreaser on a cassette and some light freshwater spray will kill them