Criterium race report.

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:53 am

Second criterium race was on Sunday.
1.25km circuit, 15 minutes + 2.

Field of 10, 7 adults and 3 juniors.
Temp : 21.1C
Overcast with a 9km/h southerly breeze.

Very rough map of circuit :

It was a strange race. The race started at a fast pace which strung the field out in the first lap. There was a new rider up the front and I'd been help train him during the week so I caught up to him pulled up next to him and told him to drop off the front otherwise he'd be buggered. A millisecond second later the most experienced rider in the group also called out to him to drop back. He'll be in the training rides this week so I'll explain that to with him then.

That fixed up, we got down to racing. Out of the 10 there were 4 of us who were possible winners. One being myself, one got third in front of me last race but it was so close we had the same times, one was a guy who dropped down from C grade, the other was a big guy who looked strong but I'd never seen him ride before. The four of us lead the race until the other two guys dropped off the pace leaving myself and a woman. We circled together for a lap or two but being smaller she was hard to draft. She pushed hard down the home straight and rounded a corner and got
about a 10 metre break and I wasn't too concerned about catching up as I was out of breath. After another half a lap she was about 20-30 metres ahead. 3 laps to go, that was when I had to make a quick decision - use up a lot of energy catching her and hope I recover for a sprint finish or let the guys 20-30 metres behind me catch me and us work together. I opted for the later but unfortunately they weren't in great shape and we slowed for the rest of the race leading to her having an easy victory. I was fortunate because the ex C grader wasn't keen to drop off the front, he lead for the last lap and a half. He was knacked coming off the final back straight and slowed after turning the second last corner. That left it open for myself and the mystery man who took advantage of the other guy slowing and came up the inside and lead into the final corner. Big mistake - I can corner well and cut through the apex of the corner straight on to his wheel, I looked up and saw the finish about 200 metres ahead and thought, "It's a little early but he's slow out of the corner, now's my chance." I sped past quickly, quick look back, and he was slow to respond so I picked up the pace, up a few gears, you now the routine, crossed the line at 49.2km/h in second place. Fastest I'd ever ridden while not in a group or down hill.

The winner was 58 seconds ahead which was exaggerated by the fact these other two guys didn't have any fight left in them once I let them catch me and we didn't really work together. I'm sure with a different group of riders we would have caught her because she was only 40 or 50m ahead when we joined together or maybe I should have taken up the challenge and tried to catch her, who knows. It was only about my 5th of 6th race so I'm still learning.

Going into the race I was confident because I've got my training routine through the week better sorted out. I'm now doing the harder work early to mid week comprising of 2 hard rides, one moderate ride and a little running, Friday is a rest day, Saturday a light ride then Sunday the race.
Overall I was happy with the result but next time if someone makes a break then I'll attempt to catch them and see how I go. Watching others cornering gives me confidence in criteriums because some have no idea. The guy who came 4th even told me mid race he's crap at cornering, I'd already worked that out! I took the guy who came 8th to the circuit on the day before the race to give him cornering lessons but it had rained and the road was wet so that didn't happen.

Megan came in at a respectable 7th 38 seconds behind me. Not bad for a 13 Y O girl against full grow adults. She had a bad start and had trouble getting clipped in and with the fast early pace she was quickly off the lead group. The other juniors were 5th (2 seconds ahead of her) and 10th (two laps down), both boys.

My race stats :
Distance : 12.5km
Time : 23m 52s
The time doesn't seem to add up for a 15 minute + 2 but we crossed the line at 14m 50s so it was more like a 15 minute + 3
Max speed : 49.2km/h
Ave speed : 31.2km/h
Ave HR : 163
Max HR : 187

Yet another enjoyable day at the races.

LATE PS :
Photos to follow. My wife took some photos but she used the old fashion camera with film. She wanted to finish the roll.
Last edited by tuco on Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:53 am

Here is my second go - computer crapped out after typing first reply !! :?

Well done, although beaten by a female !! :shock:

Can't quite understand why cornering is so hard - mind you, I have a motorsport background, so maybe that helps :?: The only issue I have is the amount of grip that I may/may not have - don't want to find out the hard way, but am gradually learning.

Seems like a short race, and also from your comments, seems like there is quite a bit of ettiquette as well to be had.

What tyres do you run Tuco ?

Your report are great and are getting me interested, but not sure what club to join in Adelaide (when the time comes), and not sure what form I'd rather enjoy more. The only other issue with racing is giving me more things to resist spending money on.....

Cheers

Michael B

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:24 pm

Great race Tuco.

Generally females have good power to weight ratios, but don"t have the outright power of a male, so they usually need to go for a break to win, otherwise they get done in the sprint. There are some notable execeptions to this.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:51 pm

MichaelB wrote: Well done, although beaten by a female !! :shock:
She's very fit and not overweight compared to my half fit and overweight.
MichaelB wrote: Can't quite understand why cornering is so hard - mind you, I have a motorsport background, so maybe that helps :?: The only issue I have is the amount of grip that I may/may not have - don't want to find out the hard way, but am gradually learning.
I rode motobikes for years so I don't have a problem with cornering.
I think a lot of cornering is in your mind. My back tyre has done 2,500+ km and is developing a flat strip around it so that may compromise my corning. May have to look into that.
MichaelB wrote: Seems like a short race, and also from your comments, seems like there is quite a bit of ettiquette as well to be had.
It was shorter than normal to accommodate the 3 juniors making the transition to the big league.
MichaelB wrote: What tyres do you run Tuco ?
Black ones. Very bald looking. Other than that I'm not sure.
MichaelB wrote: Your report are great and are getting me interested, but not sure what club to join in Adelaide (when the time comes), and not sure what form I'd rather enjoy more. The only other issue with racing is giving me more things to resist spending money on.....

Cheers

Michael B
Go on, you know you want to!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Michael, the club for you to join is the ... club who's name completely escapes my addled brain at the moment :D Dammit. They're partly based out of the Edwardstown Velodrome (just behind the big shopping centre there). In this state, the summer months are devoted to criteriums and track, the winter months to road racing, so you get to go racing all year round.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:11 pm

When you remember that would be great. Probably wouldn't be as something as sensible as Edwardstown Cycling Club would it ?

Oh, BTW, I have the new bike computer, so I'll pack up the old one so you can swing by and pick it up for the purple beasty !!!

Cheers

Michael B

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:32 pm

It's a long time (14 years), since I raced with them, but the Norwood Cycling Club is a old established (1880's) club with a great racing program.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:25 pm

MichaelB wrote:When you remember that would be great. Probably wouldn't be as something as sensible as Edwardstown Cycling Club would it ?

Oh, BTW, I have the new bike computer, so I'll pack up the old one so you can swing by and pick it up for the purple beasty !!!

Cheers

Michael B
Thanks Michael.

Still havent' found that club name. It's the Holdfast something or other bike club. Nice mob of blokes and they do a bit of everything.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:29 pm

531db wrote:It's a long time (14 years), since I raced with them, but the Norwood Cycling Club is a old established (1880's) club with a great racing program.
The bloke who came second in my race in Sydney yesterday rides for Norwood, but is currently working in Canberra and had come up to Sydney to see his sister for the weekend. Is this Norwood uniform?

ImageClick for the biggie

Michael, there are some very capable females out there racing, there was one in my race too.

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:35 pm

It would be the Sturt Holdfast Marion CC, a name like that would have to be a result of a merger or three.

See www.sturtholdfastrmarioncc.com.au

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:03 pm

531db wrote:It would be the Sturt Holdfast Marion CC, a name like that would have to be a result of a merger or three.

531, the link isn't working
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:05 pm

Yes, there are many capable females out there - one breezed past me going up Eagle on the Hill on Sunday :shock: :shock: Mind you, she probably weighed 40kg less than me, so I guess that helped a bit as well !!!

Thanks for the link 531db.

I'vee seen a whole lotta comments about various clubs, so I'll look around, but the velodrome that Richard mentioned is a stones throw from my place !!

Cheers

Michael B

PS The link is http://www.sturtholdfastmarioncc.com/
Last edited by MichaelB on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:28 pm

531db wrote:It would be the Sturt Holdfast Marion CC, a name like that would have to be a result of a merger or three.

Dat's the one, no wonder it wouldn't trigger in my mind, I kept thinking Holdfast came first. Good club. Very friendly and rather active. They also have more socially oritentated rides.

Richard

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Damn, yep a spelling mistake, don't know where that extra 'r' came from.....

Probably subliminal as in 'reynolds' or 'retro' or something.....

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:46 pm

Damn! No photos of the race as promised. I plugged in the scanner to scan the photos but the computer froze and then it smelt bad.

The USB extension card had burnt out tracks on it. The rest of the PC is okay. An odd fault considering I was only plugged in the lead for the scanner without the scanner attached to it.
It's good to be able to repairs PCs. It's saved me a lot of money over the years.

Hopefully I can get some photos of this Sunday's race.