Rob Bailey???

5antos

Rob Bailey???

Postby 5antos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:30 am

PIcked this up cheap on Gumtree last night. Knew from the one photo in the ad that it was a quality bike. However the rust on the top tube and the peeling chrome looked so bad that I figured the frame was a write off but I'd get my money's worth in parts which I did.

Turned out to be a far nicer bike than I'd expected. Was built up in a mix of 600, Dura Ace, 105, Superbe Pro and 3TTT generally from 89/90 and stickered 'Rob Bailey'. I believe the Rob Bailey logos were applied at the same time as the frame was built up w/ the various bits and pieces and also that the red paint was probably applied at that time as there was red overspray on the front derailleur. It all looked a bit careless.

The frame however is beautifully made and I'm guessing a few years older. . Columbus tubing; not sure which as I couldn't make it out on the decal (white / transparent directly applied over the chrome) which I've now destroyed w/ a wire brush. Campagnolo drops. Bocama lugs / BB shell. I'd say it presented as fully chromed as per my guess at the later red paint. Fork's not the original.

So..... anyone ever come across a Rob Bailey as I can't find a thing? Any other clues as to what this might be?

As an aside I've also taken a big drill and wire disc to the rust on the top tube and was really surprised when the loose chrome and rust came away and the tubing was in reasonable shape underneath other than some slight pitting. So the frame isn't a write off after all. It is however about a 54 square, too small for me and will require a great deal of sandblasting w/ a small grit or a caustic bath in the shed to get the remaining chrome off to paint. Neither of these I have any interest in doing. As such if anyone's interested in making the effort to bring this one back to life, PM me and you can take it away.

Cheers,

NB.

Image[/url]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Roisin79

Re: Rob Bailey???

Postby Roisin79 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Have pm'ed. Still available?

Stephen.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Nice one 5antos. Whoever picks this up, if you are going to get rid of the chrome to bare steel, quickest and cheapest is just to take it to a chroming joint, they will dip it and remove paint and chrome easily, without any potential damage to the frame.

5antos

Postby 5antos » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Roisin79 wrote:Have pm'ed. Still available?

Stephen.

PM'd.

NB.

lukebartlett

Postby lukebartlett » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:19 am

Hi, I actually have a rob bailey road and track (i think). Did you find any info on it?

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:38 am

Hi there,

5antos was kind enough to gift me the frame. I have been trawling the net too for info without luck. It was however, probably built for a WA-based rider
given the name tags match an (older former competitor) from there; there also remnants of a "Superbe" (Suntour) sticker on the top-tube. It is quality frame
in most respects. Does yours have a serial number? (Ours/mine doesn't). I can recall someone else on this forum had a bike with R Bailey stamped on the BB shell.

Stephen

lukebartlett

Postby lukebartlett » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:27 am

I seem to remember, (this is maybe 10 years ago) that there were serial numbers, and maybe they had the r bailey stamp. They both have the nice sweeping lug work where the seat stays go over the top of the top tube. Unfortunately they're both interstate in storage right now.

Luke

Roisin79

Postby Roisin79 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Just thought I would Bump the post to see if anyone has any further info on the so-called, "Rob Bailey" Australian frame. Certainly not a one-off as I came across an identical bike to mine on FB. Of particular note being the fact they were sold chromed and (mostly) unpainted, with a Superbe Pro Group and also the seat-stay treatment; wrapped-around at the seat-post. Getting ready to paint mine - the exposed chrome not having survived the 30+ years.

Rob Bailey

Postby Rob Bailey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:44 am

Came across your article purely by chance. From memory, I believe I built that frame for a West Australian rider named Carl Stickland, who lived in Subiaco and worked for Commonwealth Industrial Gases. {British Oxygen Company}. At age 63 he won his class in the Brisbane to Adelaide 3800km event on that bike. Can't remember exact year. Yes, the frame was 100% chrome plated. Wholly constructed using 45% silver brazing alloy.[ SBA 245.]. Best regards Rob Bailey.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Wow. Straight from the horse's mouth! How cool is that?

Welcome to the forum Mr. Bailey. You'll fit in quite well here. 8)