Training on the bike using supplements.

Avanti22

Training on the bike using supplements.

Postby Avanti22 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 pm

I keep finding I'm having flat spots in my training sessions where im just totally had it and dehydrated enen though ive drunk plenty of water. Went down to my local supplements store and they put me onto Primaforce PRIMAL N2O for energy and Endrura for rehydration and electrolytes. Went and smashed out 30kms this afternoon at 80% HR for the majority of it with a nice mix of hills, flats and sprints. With the aid of these supplements it was just incredible the amount of power and energy flowing through my legs and no dehydrated feeling. I have tried supplements (Creatines and protiens) before with weights routines and not had much joy but this seems to be a winning combo. What does everybody else use if anything at all?
2008 Ridley Compact

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:21 pm

I'd be looking at your pre-ride fuelling rather than worry about what you are taking along for a ride of moderate intensity of ~ 1 hour.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Have done in the past but won't be wasting my money anymore, as concentrating on my fueling properly before,during and after has been far more beneficial to my riding and general energy levels.

Will also stop using whey protein powder after weights once it runs out, as I found I'm getting more than enough protein from my diet after taking notice of 'what' I'm eating.

I'll still use energy gels (the rest normal food) for longer endurance MTB races and odd road race. I'll use the odd sports drink in hot weather but find I get on and feel much better from using water after trying different things.

sogood

Re: Training on the bike using supplements.

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Avanti22 wrote:...With the aid of these supplements it was just incredible the amount of power and energy flowing through my legs and no dehydrated feeling...
Cogito, ergo sum. The wonder of placebo effect! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Avanti22

Re: Training on the bike using supplements.

Postby Avanti22 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 pm

sogood wrote:
Avanti22 wrote:...With the aid of these supplements it was just incredible the amount of power and energy flowing through my legs and no dehydrated feeling...
Cogito, ergo sum. The wonder of placebo effect! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hmmm if you say so. I definately noticed a difference though particularly hydration wise which is my biggest problem
2008 Ridley Compact

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 pm

I drink Endura or Staminade even on a 1hr ride, but more to feel better an hour or two afterwards than for any benefit during the ride.

The bigger impact on performance during a ride is my mindset beforehand. If I have my game face on I will push much much harder, and I suspect this is what you experienced.

You can always go faster. ;)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Bnej wrote:The bigger impact on performance during a ride is my mindset beforehand. If I have my game face on I will push much much harder, and I suspect this is what you experienced.
+1 :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:32 pm

sogood wrote:
Bnej wrote:The bigger impact on performance during a ride is my mindset beforehand. If I have my game face on I will push much much harder, and I suspect this is what you experienced.
Sometimes I start a race thinking I feel so good all they will see is my arse in the distance and my body dosen't agree...then sometimes I line up thinking this is going to hurt and all they see is my arse in the distance (albeit not very often!!! :lol: )...wish I knew the secret formula!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:26 am

PS...anyone ever used Colostrum mainly as an immune system booster?...when you get sick at least once a month you need every bit of help you can get :roll:

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 am

toolonglegs wrote:
sogood wrote:
Sometimes I start a race thinking I feel so good all they will see is my arse in the distance and my body dosen't agree...then sometimes I line up thinking this is going to hurt and all they see is my arse in the distance (albeit not very often!!! :lol: )...wish I knew the secret formula!.
i feel the same way toolong! although i dont race (yet). i think its a mental thing, you may be mentally ready but the body may b fatigued :roll:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2