Regatta centre 17/11

leximack

Regatta centre 17/11

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:29 pm

lined up in C grade today, was a bit windy and with the clouds overhead was not sure what to expect. About 25 in C grade ( i think), we had a headwind down the main straight (where you sign in) and a nice tailwind on the way back. Was a fairly uneventful race, rain stayed away which was good. Seemed longer than last time as when i got back i had 34km (so maybe one lap extra :?: ), seemd to be at the pointy end for most fo the race and even doing a bit of work at the front, just so they didnt think i was a wheel sucking bludger :lol: , found myself next to zozz on the last lap at the front of the pack into the headwind, slowed the pace down but noone wanted to come through, knew at this point i would be swamped at the end, as ince the train comes past i wouldnt be able to slot in behind someones wheel, this is what exactly happend, ended up towards the back of the pack after the sprint had been run and won, just not in the right place on the last lap, still have heaps to learn.
I still think this was my best race so far though even though i finished towards the back, mainly becuase i did not bludge and did a bit if work at the front (some guys sit in the pack for the whole race and wheel suck the whole time and only pull out int he last 200m, whats the pioint of that :?: , would be a hollow victory in my book). I also felt good at the end, legs felt good, was not stuffed and felt if i was in the right spot i could of had a chance at a podium. So i am happy about that, still lots of tactics to learn, but being my 3rd race i feel i am doing well.
Was good to ride with zozz for a bit, good to see hebden again, good to see bmxbandito breifly and there was a few others i probably have forgot about.
Hopefully will be able to get to lansdowne and eastern creek in the next few weeks to check them out

Don

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 pm

forgot to mention,

34km total distance (back to the start, so actual race distance was maybe 32km?)
Average speed was 37km/h
Avergage HR - no idea, forgot to put it on :lol:
Average Cadence -no idea, was set for other bike and forgot to re-establish a connection before the race

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Hey Don, what do you think you were doing next to zozza at the front on the last lap?? That's not the place to be if you want to win a race :roll: you gotta place yourself about 6 riders back :lol: :lol:

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:40 pm

zozza wrote:Hey Don, what do you think you were doing next to zozza at the front on the last lap?? That's not the place to be if you want to win a race :roll: you gotta place yourself about 6 riders back :lol: :lol:
when i slotted in behind you zozz it was like riding behind a mack truck, awesome pulling power in your draft :lol:
But yes, next week, DONT SIT AT THE FRONT FOR MOST OF THE LAST LAP YOU IDIOT LEXIMACK

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 pm

I promise it wasn't the plan, it kinda just happened :o :)

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:08 pm

I rode in C grade as well, was up in the front of the bunch until the 12 km mark when I broke a rear wheel spoke and my rim was rubbing the brake blocks. Unfortunately this was the exact time that the field split and by the time I had slowed to release the brake quick release, the bunch had gone. I was not feeling too flash anyway so I pulled the pin at 15 km (3 laps).

Leximack, the circut is 5.017km long, the finish line along the back is 3.9 km around the circuit from the start line, so the race distance was 34 km.

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:14 pm

531db wrote:I rode in C grade as well, was up in the front of the bunch until the 12 km mark when I broke a rear wheel spoke and my rim was rubbing the brake blocks. Unfortunately this was the exact time that the field split and by the time I had slowed to release the brake quick release, the bunch had gone. I was not feeling too flash anyway so I pulled the pin at 15 km (3 laps).

Leximack, the circut is 5.017km long, the finish line along the back is 3.9 km around the circuit from the start line, so the race distance was 34 km.
thats no good, i was wondering were you had got to as zooz and i couldnt see you after the race.
Did C grade split? it did seem there was less riders at the finish then at the beginning but i was too busy trying not to run anyone over to notice

Don

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm

531db wrote:I rode in C grade as well, was up in the front of the bunch until the 12 km mark when I broke a rear wheel spoke and my rim was rubbing the brake blocks. Unfortunately this was the exact time that the field split and by the time I had slowed to release the brake quick release, the bunch had gone. I was not feeling too flash anyway so I pulled the pin at 15 km (3 laps).

Bad Luck there Pete, we were wondering where you got to :(

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Did you race Bandit? Kept a lookout, didn't see you, Don said you were there?

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:55 am

leximack wrote:some guys sit in the pack for the whole race and wheel suck the whole time and only pull out int he last 200m, whats the point of that, would be a hollow victory in my book
Exactly! This is what I did in my last criterium and about 10m from the line the guilt factor kicked in so I stopped pedalling and rolled over the line for 2nd place. There's a fine line between "racing smart" and just being a wheel sucking bludger :roll:

sogood

Re: Regatta centre 17/11

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:06 pm

leximack wrote:some guys sit in the pack for the whole race and wheel suck the whole time and only pull out int he last 200m, whats the pioint of that :?: , would be a hollow victory in my book
The objective of racing (as opposed to training/social rides) is to win, by whatever legal means possible. So I wouldn't be too hung up on that.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:56 pm

sogood wrote:The objective of racing (as opposed to training/social rides) is to win, by whatever legal means possible.
while you're technically correct, racing etiquette says HTFU and do your fair share of work at the front
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm

sogood wrote:
leximack wrote:some guys sit in the pack for the whole race and wheel suck the whole time and only pull out int he last 200m, whats the pioint of that :?: , would be a hollow victory in my book
The objective of racing (as opposed to training/social rides) is to win, by whatever legal means possible. So I wouldn't be too hung up on that.
i am not worried about it but personally i would rather a victory where i know i have earned it. This way i will know the others will not say, "he only won becuase he bludged the whole race, but will say, yep, he deserved to win"
But yeah, alot of others just want to win at all costs. On another note there is some serious riders out there and who are very focused, IN C GRADE, they dont seem to know how to have fun, its only a club c grade race, not racing for the world championship, have some fun out there people.

Don

muggah

Postby muggah » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:18 pm

On another note there is some serious riders out there and who are very focused, IN C GRADE, they dont seem to know how to have fun, its only a club c grade race, not racing for the world championship, have some fun out there people.
I bet these are the same guys that claim their C grade victory as they cross the line?? :lol:
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:37 pm

JV911 wrote:while you're technically correct, racing etiquette says HTFU and do your fair share of work at the front
True, particularly for social racing, which really isn't racing for some.

At the end of the day, I am not prepared to criticise fellow riders for racing smartly. For me, I enjoy doing a turn or two and feel the hurt for its training value.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:42 pm

leximack wrote:i am not worried about it but personally i would rather a victory where i know i have earned it. This way i will know the others will not say, "he only won becuase he bludged the whole race, but will say, yep, he deserved to win"
But yeah, alot of others just want to win at all costs. On another note there is some serious riders out there and who are very focused, IN C GRADE, they dont seem to know how to have fun, its only a club c grade race, not racing for the world championship, have some fun out there people.
Personalities on the racing track is as varied as our society, so who cares and what can one do? Just enjoy your ride I'd say. I won't complain as long as there are no dangerous activities in a club race. If we all arrive at the finish line safely, then I think we are all winners.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:06 pm

JV911 wrote:
sogood wrote:The objective of racing (as opposed to training/social rides) is to win, by whatever legal means possible.
while you're technically correct, racing etiquette says HTFU and do your fair share of work at the front
Who's silly etiquette is that?

Hmmm, I can accept this if the race is for training or the race isn't really a race, it's an organised social ride with a pseudo-sprint at the end.

Teaching yourself ways to not win becomes habit forming and will not help you if you are looking to progress and become a better racer.

However if all you are interested in is having some fun and don't care about your position at the end of the race, or in becoming a better bike racer, then I can understand feeling that way.

Cripes, I really admire the guy who has the race nouse and skill to win by doing the least work possible.

If you want to put your nose into the wind a lot and not win, that's what time trialling is for :wink:

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Who's silly etiquette is that?
well "they" say it is

this is the feeling i've gotten in my extensive (i.e 3 race) carreer.

personally i dont care if you suck wheels the whole race (which is exactly what i've tried to do while learning how to race 8) ) but there are any number of blokes in the field who will get the knickers in a knot if certain people are constanty not doing any "work" at the front
Last edited by JV911 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for the report Don, I always enjoy em.

How hard is it to get someone to come through on the last lap when you're stuck on the front :lol: :lol: they're just queing up back there waiting to jump ya.

On the front is not the best spot and neither is right at the back, especially in a big field. It must feel really good when you get yourself into the right spot and then have the sprint to pull it off. Not an easy thing to do.
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:34 pm

leximack wrote:
sogood wrote:
i am not worried about it but personally i would rather a victory where i know i have earned it. This way i will know the others will not say, "he only won becuase he bludged the whole race, but will say, yep, he deserved to win"

Don
Agreed Don, a few of these guys are working together :wink: , we have to do likewise, It doesn't matter the grade, every guy out there wants to win

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:01 pm

If you have 3 or 4 mates racing in the same grade week in week out...then work as a team nominating one rider to work for each week...makes it a lot more fun.
If there are wheel suckers then drop them or force them to the front.Some weeks I am a total sucker :roll: some weeks I attack and some I will work.
I come away from a race pee'd off if I sit in all day and then dont get a place.So I would rather try something on instead of finishing a race going "should of done this,should of done that!".
But you will always get wheel suckers...problem is that some clubs don't move them up a grade where they will get dropped like a stone.But you put in an attack and win and you go straight up...also works against riders who turn up for every race and win some when few riders are there even thou they wouldn't be ready to win in the same grade if everybody turned up...rant over!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm

JV911 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Who's silly etiquette is that?
well "they" say it is

this is the feeling i've gotten in my extensive (i.e 3 race) carreer.

personally i dont care if you suck wheels the whole race (which is exactly what i've tried to do while learning how to race 8) ) but there are any number of blokes in the field who will get the knickers in a knot if certain people are constanty not doing any "work" at the front
Let 'em. It's an old trick to suck new riders into doing the work. :D

"They" should do their talking with their legs and not their mouths. If "they" are not good enough to do something about it with their legs, that's their problem, not yours.

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:58 pm

maybe i should of kept my mouth shut, lots of different oppionions it seems on this topic.
I guess its all upto your own situation and what you want to achieve out of racing, personally i think sitting in the pack for the whole race and sprinting for the win will not make you a better racer, someone who works at the front, creates gaps, puts on an attack, goes for a breakaway etc will become a better racer quicker than the other person, all i can hope for is the wheel sucker/ "winner" gets pushed upto the higher grade, where they will get dropped on the first lap :lol:

Don

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:20 pm

LOTS of different and interesting opinions.

Don, I hope this doesn't stop you from posting race reports in the future. Race reports are my favourite posts on this forum.

Looking forward to the next installment...

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 pm

All food for thought..so what's the plan for next week? 98% of your race was all good, you just were not in a good position for the last 1/2 lap and thus being in a bad position to contest the sprint :)