Smoothing out the ride on my Fargo

uad782

Smoothing out the ride on my Fargo

Postby uad782 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure whether to post this here on in the mtb forum so apologies if it is a bit off topic. Took my 2017 Fargo for a ride today into a very remote part of bush. The ride is very lumpy with around 2000m of climbing consisting of fire trails which are rideable but steep.

In the past I have done this ride on a dualie and have not really noticed the rough track, however I usually get a flat as I can descend quite fast. On the Fargo it felt very rough and when descending I was ultra careful to avoid the large rocks (up to 75mm). The climbing is also rough as the grade is steep causing erosion. The Fargo is running the stock rocket rons which aren't tubeless. I had them at around 40 psi to avoid pinch flats. Riding like this was quite tiring and probably added 20 minutes on a 5 hour ride compared to the dualie.

I am wondering if I went tubeless would the ride be smoother? Or should I just stick to the dualie for this circuit. I also was thinking of putting a suspension fork on the front.

i may add that generally the Fargo has worked well on not so rough trails. It is mostly the large loose rock that is the problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Warin

Re: Smoothing out the ride on my Fargo

Postby Warin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 am

Touring is more about long term endurance than short term speed.

Suspension does consume energy (in the dampers as heat), the less you have of it the less energy is lost. It also adds some weight.

Suspension adds some comfort to rough patches.

Your choice as to your energy and comfort requirements and the balance between them.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 pm

G'day uad782,

I don't believe you said which tires you were using.

I think you can utilise the "plus" sized 27.5 and 29er tires on the 2017 Fargo frame.

Whilst I personally find the weight of 2.35 tires noticeable on my bike, I'm not into charging downhill on rough trails.

Might 3' wide tires offer you the cush you desire?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:55 am

Be brave. Try riding on the dirt with your hands near the ends of the drops and let the handlebars do the shock absorber stuff.
Ok while not so good going down steep and rocky singletrack but the role of a fargo was a bit of this and a that they are really not a mtn bike unless you go get rid of the drop handle bars.
Wider tyres help but can turn a fun bike into a slug and you do loose the safety on tar of a medium width. To me 1.9 inch works as an all rounder and I prefer having an off in the dirt than on a hard surface. Comfort in off road on dropbars is really trying to find that key spot on your bars for brake hoods and levers so your hands don't get pummeled (...as much).

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Over the past month I've ridden 100's of kilometers over gravel roads and bike tracks here in NZ. Today I rode the Clutha Gold Trail, and it was a real buzz. The Fargo excels at this kind of use - pretty much what it is designed for.
I dunno why you would even want to subject a rigid bike to that kind of punishment when you have a dually.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:50 pm

What was you intension for the Fargo purchase? It really is a touring bike not an off-road enduring racer.

If your going to continue this style of riding I would throw a suspension fork and getting some better rubber set up tubeless. However your going to lose all those mounting points that are on the rigid fork.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks everyone, I will probably revert to the dually for this ride. The reason for the question was really - would going tubeless do any better with lower pressures? The 2.3 inch tyres are great when riding on gravel like Rons trip but when the going gets rocky without tubeless I have to go higher pressure which transmits every bump into the bars.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Am I right thinking your rims are fairly standard and not up to mounting a 29+ tire :?:
which from memory are in the vicinity of 3.00 wide

My Dyad rims seem ok with 2.35 but I think thats fairly maxed out and I'd not be inclined to try for the bikes designed max of 2.50.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.