Quick - Input for NSW 2021 Road Safety Plan

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quick - Input for NSW 2021 Road Safety Plan

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 am

This really slipped under the radar... but Bicycle NSW have information about community meetings - where feedback will be gathered for the 2021 Road Safety Plan for New South Wales.

--
Full Info on the Bicycle NSW site

Details:
During May, bike riders can provide input to the Road Safety Plan 2021 by:

Attending a two-hour forum – these will be held in:
Wagga Wagga – 10 May
Dubbo – 15 May
Wollongong – 17 May
Parramatta – 18 May
Sydney CBD – 23 May
Newcastle – 24 May
Scone – 29 May
Coffs Harbour – 31 May
Taking part in an open online discussion forum or web-based survey.
For details, please visit the Centre for Road Safety website or email towardszero@transport.nsw.gov.au.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Re: Quick - Input for NSW 2021 Road Safety Plan

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 11, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks Christopher, think I can make the one in Sydney on 23 May so have registered. Wonder if participants will have to sign a gag agreement? :roll:

According to the Centre for Road Safety website there will also be an online discussin happening some time real soon now
An online discussion forum and survey will go live in early May to enable stakeholders and members of the community to provide input to the Road Safety Plan 2021.

The online tools focus on the key road trauma issues facing NSW and provide the opportunity to give feedback on the importance of a variety of countermeasures to reduce road deaths and serious injuries.
Not sure what their idea of early May is, given we are already at 11 May & there is no sign of any online information

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I have feedback via email that a survey will also go online and they will inform me when it is up.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 am

find_bruce wrote:Thanks Christopher, think I can make the one in Sydney on 23 May so have registered. Wonder if participants will have to sign a gag agreement? :roll:

According to the Centre for Road Safety website there will also be an online discussin happening some time real soon now
An online discussion forum and survey will go live in early May to enable stakeholders and members of the community to provide input to the Road Safety Plan 2021.

The online tools focus on the key road trauma issues facing NSW and provide the opportunity to give feedback on the importance of a variety of countermeasures to reduce road deaths and serious injuries.
Not sure what their idea of early May is, given we are already at 11 May & there is no sign of any online information

Unfortunately I'm at work that day and cannot make it. The key thing to argue for is enforcement against dangerous drivers and deliberate dangerous passing by drivers against riders. That would help immediately- and later on, the vital task linking existing cycleways together.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:Unfortunately I'm at work that day and cannot make it. The key thing to argue for is enforcement against dangerous drivers and deliberate dangerous passing by drivers against riders. That would help immediately- and later on, the vital task linking existing cycleways together.
I was thinking along the well known hierarchy of hazard controls
  • Elimination - not sure what is or can be done to eliminate the need to transport people & goods
  • Substitution - getting people out of cars and onto public transport
  • Engineering controls - such as separated bike paths
  • Administrative controls - as you say personalised education coupled with motivation to change behaviour (aka enforcement)
  • Personal protective equipment - what can be done to cars to reduce injuries. Bull bars in the city is one example.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I completed the survey. Couldn't get to the forums though, work commitments prevented that.

Some of the questions didn't give me the options I wanted though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 pm

I signed up for the forum but my calendar got filled up with meetings despite my marking out the time. :evil:

Then they moved the location up near Central railway station. :evil: :evil: :evil:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 pm

trailgumby wrote:I signed up for the forum but my calendar got filled up with meetings despite my marking out the time. :evil:

Then they moved the location up near Central railway station. :evil: :evil: :evil:
That is the worst - you just have to book out phantom meetings so you don't appear in the calendar as free. In my case, I need that and to move to some hidden office so I can get my work done sans interruptions and without prying eyes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 26, 2017 7:44 pm

g-boaf wrote:
trailgumby wrote:I signed up for the forum but my calendar got filled up with meetings despite my marking out the time. :evil:

That is the worst - you just have to book out phantom meetings so you don't appear in the calendar as free. In my case, I need that and to move to some hidden office so I can get my work done sans interruptions and without prying eyes.
I did that. People still double book you. :evil:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 pm

The survey is loaded in many ways which is a disappointment and this includes ambiguous options. The general direction is the laws and rules will fix it... while preventative strategies play a lesser role. Enforcement follows the well known scheme (speed and RBT) but creating a cultural shift for better drivers is not really a topic.

It is a classic approach to community feedback in which they can show that they have engaged with the community, however the responses are somewhat guided to help provide results which aligned to their intended strategy.

The government is also remaining car focussed and I feel that they should shift towards 'transport options'. This means that instead of idolising the motor vehicle as the only way to travel, alternative transport options such as public transport, cycling and walking should become more convenient and accessible.

--

The survey is not bike specific, there are a few references to walking/cycling which represents the departments strategy of combining the two travel modes (and budget). One message (from a video from the new minister) is that the state was on target towards reducing road deaths in NSW up to 2014 but subsequently (under MP Duncan Gay) road deaths increased. Here is a copied section with some more stats, I thought it would be good to share because the department is notoriously reluctant to share facts - but keep in mind that this is selected information.
In 2016, 384 people died and over 12,000 people were hospitalised with serious injuries following crashes on NSW roads.

We know:
• Two-thirds of fatalities happened on country roads
• Serious injuries were more likely to happen in metropolitan areas (60% occurred on metropolitan roads)
• 35% of fatalities and 60% of serious injuries happened where the speed limit was 60 km/h or less
• The most common fatality crash types were head-on, running off the road (particularly hitting a fixed object like a tree or pole), and pedestrian crashes
• Speeding, fatigue, drink driving and seat belt, restraint or helmet non-use were more common among fatalities
• Casualties in older cars were more serious than casualties in newer cars, and older cars involved in crashes tended to be driven by younger and older drivers.
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 am

AUbicycles wrote:The survey is loaded in many ways which is a disappointment and this includes ambiguous options. The general direction is the laws and rules will fix it... while preventative strategies play a lesser role. Enforcement follows the well known scheme (speed and RBT) but creating a cultural shift for better drivers is not really a topic.

It is a classic approach to community feedback in which they can show that they have engaged with the community, however the responses are somewhat guided to help provide results which aligned to their intended strategy.

The government is also remaining car focussed and I feel that they should shift towards 'transport options'. This means that instead of idolising the motor vehicle as the only way to travel, alternative transport options such as public transport, cycling and walking should become more convenient and accessible.

--

The survey is not bike specific, there are a few references to walking/cycling which represents the departments strategy of combining the two travel modes (and budget). One message (from a video from the new minister) is that the state was on target towards reducing road deaths in NSW up to 2014 but subsequently (under MP Duncan Gay) road deaths increased. Here is a copied section with some more stats, I thought it would be good to share because the department is notoriously reluctant to share facts - but keep in mind that this is selected information.
In 2016, 384 people died and over 12,000 people were hospitalised with serious injuries following crashes on NSW roads.

We know:
• Two-thirds of fatalities happened on country roads
• Serious injuries were more likely to happen in metropolitan areas (60% occurred on metropolitan roads)
• 35% of fatalities and 60% of serious injuries happened where the speed limit was 60 km/h or less
• The most common fatality crash types were head-on, running off the road (particularly hitting a fixed object like a tree or pole), and pedestrian crashes
• Speeding, fatigue, drink driving and seat belt, restraint or helmet non-use were more common among fatalities
• Casualties in older cars were more serious than casualties in newer cars, and older cars involved in crashes tended to be driven by younger and older drivers.
Christopher
There was a lot of rules and enforcement, or, separate bicycles from cars, the latter which I took to mean "get bicycles off the road", and together with rules and enforcement, probably means "make it illegal for bikes to be on the road".

Duncan Gay did a very good job of making the environment on the road for bike riders very much more dangerous.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 am

The draft plan is now available for comment

https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/rea ... fety-plan/

I haven’t read it yet, but given the loaded nature of the survey I don’t hold much hope