60%
Giant
40%

Total votes: 5
jade

Trek 7.2 or Giant CRX4

Postby jade » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a bike to ride a few times a week to work and back, 20 kms each way. All my riding will be on road. I've looked at a few flat bar road bikes-

Trek 7.2 or Giant CRX4

Is it worth me spending the extra couple of hundred for the bikes above, or should I go for something like the Trek 7.0 or the Malvern Star Strike?

Any advice on any of these kind of bikes will be helpful. What are the main differences between the Trek and Giant listed above, and which is better?

rider06

Postby rider06 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:43 pm

I bought a giant CRX 4 in February - however the main reason for my choice was that I liked the frame geometry and quality and had a bunch of parts that I used to 'upgrade' the componentry - changed shifters, derailleur, brake levers, rear cassette, pedals. One problem you might have, depending on where you live, is actually finding one. It took me a lot of phone calls and eventually a bit of a drive to nail one down - there were only a limited number of CRXs imported, and they sold quickly, and the '08 range won't be around until June at the earliest (or so I was told)

Don't know anything about Trek though

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:51 pm

It's always worth spending more on a bike, but the "better" one is the one you like riding most, because you'll use it more.

The more riding you plan to do, the more value you'll get out of a more expensive bike. For a commute, check that you can fit racks & panniers to the bike you're interested in (pretty sure the CRX 4 and 7.2 allow this, most cheaper bikes do). It's easier to let the bike carry your stuff than your back.

As the running gear, shifters, brakes, hubs etc gets higher end, you get smoother shifts, less problems, more consistent operation.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:42 pm

I voted
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:04 pm

I own a Trek Fuel MTB and I am seriously not happy with the backup service.
they seem to keep very little stock in Australia and everything is in a bloody container from the US of flipping A (insert your own word starting with A).
I am still waiting for a gooseneck bearing (or the modern equivalent) and a crank bearing after a month of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! from Trek Sydney.
I mean fair dinkum I spent over two thousand dollars and they just don't keep parts.
Even brake pads are a pain.
The bike is great to ride but so are most bikes but the maintenence is costing me hair.
When I replace it it will not be a Trek.

Robert

jade

Postby jade » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses, and especially the feedback about customer service/repairs.
rider06 - changed shifters, derailleur, brake levers, rear cassette, pedals.
Are the components so bad they need to be replaced, or are they ok? I guess I'm lucky in that my local bike shop has the Giant in stock!
MountGower - purely on points
What do you mean by this?

If anyone could give me some advice on which bike has the best components, that would also be helpful.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Jade
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Giant and Trek won't sell you a bike with bad components, but you can always make things better. :)

jade

Postby jade » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Thanks for that guys- I'll have a good test ride before I decide!

Cheers