Cyclist Popovych joins Astana team

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Dosen't look like Cadel is very happy about Popo going...
"I asked that they keep one of my team-mates, Popovych, and sign two more and as it's turned out Bernhard Kohl is obviously not part of our team any more".

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Dosen't look like Cadel is very happy about Popo going...
"I asked that they keep one of my team-mates, Popovych, and sign two more and as it's turned out Bernhard Kohl is obviously not part of our team any more".
Interesting dynamics given how Popovych performed for Cadel this year. Yet again, the new sign ups may be even worse than Popovych. :?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:41 pm

FPR Ragamuffin

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 am

I think Cadel has to pull his head out of the clouds. If he sticks with SL then his always going to be lacking a strong team at the tour, the best he can hope for is one decent domestique and thats it. We all saw how well that worked this year. If he wants a good team he would have to sign with another team in two years and by then i think he would be old news. Go for Yellow and some Stage Wins Cadel.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:39 pm

RICHARDH wrote:Go for Yellow and some Stage Wins Cadel.
Good call Richard. Will be a very competitive tour next year LA or not.
FPR Ragamuffin

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:48 pm

SMH article:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/armstrong-to-race-in-2009-tour-de-france/2008/12/02/1227979969705.html

Confirms Lance doing both Giro and TdF with one heck of a team.

Jim

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:39 pm

Some intresting things in that article, Armstrong never actually says his riding for Contador. Which isnt surprising, but Contador has to feel a little frustrated that his career is constantly being stuffed around with this kind of thing (ie not going to this years TdF). I still think Astana has made a big mistake in the way they have handled this. Contador will move to another team next year (he will if his got any brains) Armstrong is back for two years tops. Levi might stick around but Klodens got to be close to the end of his career. The rest are all really good domestiques but not GT contenders themselves.
No mention on when he will get Catlin on board just some indication that i should be set up by the start of the TDU. Thats kinda surprising considering that Catlin was with him in all of the first interviews. Falling out over some testing requirements?
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:37 pm

RICHARDH wrote:I still think Astana has made a big mistake in the way they have handled this. Contador will move to another team next year (he will if his got any brains) Armstrong is back for two years tops.
The question is, what kind of pro is Contador? Is he a pro for the money or pro for the glory? Is it better to be on a Tour winning team or losing team?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:06 pm

I dont think it matters because if he wins this years TdF, which i think is a very strong possiblity. He will have his pick of teams and paid plenty aswell. He seems to me to be what 90% of the peleton is, wants a team that works for him in the races he wants to win. The real question is does he want to be as boring as Lance and just go and win the TdF every year for the next decade? Lets hope not.