Buying a Canyon

Buzz lightyear

Re: Buying a Canyon

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I also just ordered the ultimate cf slx disc decided to stick with mechanical groupset. really looking forward to the arrival :).
One of the cyclist in our group owns the ultimate cf slx pro fine looking bike. Thought I'd move to disc bit more weight doesn't worry Me just makes Me push harder :lol:

xDiavelS

Postby xDiavelS » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I ordered the Aeroad CF SLX Disc 8.0 DI2 at about 10 pm on Tuesday 11th July. It was shipped from Germany on Friday 14th July and went by Paris, Philadelphia, Louisville, Honolulu, Sydney and Brisbane and arrived at my house on Wednesday 19th July. Can't complain about the service at all. I have a Giant Defy in size S and got the Aeroad in XS and the fit is good (I'm 169 cm tall). Took it for its first ride today and love it. It feels fast and I got a heap of PRs on a regular ride that I do on my Giant. Looking forward to clocking the km up on this bike.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:27 am

Been riding a small Canyon Ultimate AL8 for over three years now. Finally bite the bullet and bought a medium Canyon Ultimate AL9 SLX. Supposed to be shipped sometime this week.

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:12 pm

My ultimate cf slx is on her way, bloody spewing on the Garmin mount for the H36 aero bars. Sold out won't be available till late October/ November. Any other suggestions for the H36 bars.

xDiavelS

Postby xDiavelS » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Buzz lightyear wrote:My ultimate cf slx is on her way, bloody spewing on the Garmin mount for the H36 aero bars. Sold out won't be available till late October/ November. Any other suggestions for the H36 bars.
Try calling Canyon in Melbourne (1300712003). I ordered one from them last Tuesday as they weren't available on their site and they said they had a few left in their service centre down there. It came through on Wednesday and I also mounted the K-Edge GoPro mount to the bottom for my Cycliq Fly12.

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

xDiavelS wrote:
Buzz lightyear wrote:My ultimate cf slx is on her way, bloody spewing on the Garmin mount for the H36 aero bars. Sold out won't be available till late October/ November. Any other suggestions for the H36 bars.
Try calling Canyon in Melbourne (1300712003). I ordered one from them last Tuesday as they weren't available on their site and they said they had a few left in their service centre down there. It came through on Wednesday and I also mounted the K-Edge GoPro mount to the bottom for my Cycliq Fly12.

I did call them early in the week regarding the mount Canyon Australia said where sold out. I'm on there waiting list.

aive

Postby aive » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 am

This might seem pedantic - but is anyone with an aeroad able to check the frame hole behind the front derailleur hanger? Mine's cut pretty rough (rough edge) ... not sure if that will be susceptible to delamination over time...

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:25 pm

nickobec wrote:Been riding a small Canyon Ultimate AL8 for over three years now. Finally bite the bullet and bought a medium Canyon Ultimate AL9 SLX. Supposed to be shipped sometime this week.
You must like i to have bought another one. Can you offer any impressions of it?

I keep eyeing the Ultimate range seeing as I've already got an endurance bike
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Buzz lightyear

Postby Buzz lightyear » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 pm

I ended up buying the K Edge gravity cap mount. Until Canyon have the Garmin mounts back in stock.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Mububban wrote:You must like i to have bought another one. Can you offer any impressions of it?
I do like it muchly, but at 184cm riding a "small" frame (53.5cm virtual) TT, I need a size up and it was always going to be alloy given the experience with the AL 8 and is was going to be either a Canyon AL 9 or a Bowman Palace:R

why

It is a race bike (it's purpose and my use)

handles like a dream, sharp and quick

probably biggest surprise was it handled road chatter from the rough race roads around here better than my CF bike (Fuji SL)

Feels right, hard to explain but I just like the predictable feel and ride of a stiff frame AL8, Fuji SL, Scott Foil. The more compliant frames I have ridden like Scott Addict, Avanti SL1 and Scott Solace just feel skitish on the road particular under power, and I am just not comfortable riding them.

I do not do stupidly long rides, but regularly do 100km to 160km rides to know it is comfortable enough for me to survive, if need to ride longer distances.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 pm

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:09 pm

Nice bike. I like the wheels. What are they?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 pm

jasonc wrote:Nice bike. I like the wheels. What are they?
41mm deep Reynolds Assault SLG SE

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 am

nickobec wrote:
jasonc wrote:Nice bike. I like the wheels. What are they?
41mm deep Reynolds Assault SLG SE
Hmmm. Reynolds wheels and people who weigh over 80kgs don't mix. Damn it

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:31 am

jasonc wrote:Reynolds wheels and people who weigh over 80kgs don't mix. Damn it
Luckily I tipped the scales at 79.9kg for the first time in years this morning and intend to stay that way ;-)
reynolds website wrote: Q: Do you have a rider-weight limit on Reynolds Carbon wheels?
A: We do not have specific rider-weight limit for any of the models of Reynolds Carbon wheels. However, a heavier rider will find less flex out of wheel with a deeper rim profile and/or a wheel built with a higher spoke count.
Weight recommendations:
Cirro, KOM - up to 175 lbs.
Stratus DV UL with 16/20 spoke count - up to 190 lbs. We recommend a spoke count of 20/24 for riders over 190lbs.
Recommendations may vary depending on riding style and desired performance.
So the Assaults are suitable for riders over 87kg

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:26 pm

nickobec wrote:So the Assaults are suitable for riders over 87kg
mate of mine tried them and they flexed A LOT.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

Hi All

Can anyone please advise how much frame clearance there is front and back on an Ultimate with 25mm tyres? I'm looking to replace my older Cervelo R3 with another frame as it has bugger all clearance front and back...
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:21 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Can anyone please advise how much frame clearance there is front and back on an Ultimate with 25mm tyres?
Both my Ultimate AL8 and my new Ultimate AL9 have clearance for 25mm tyres on wide rims.

28mm did not fit the AL8 and the AL9 tyre clearances are not larger (ie I have not tried it, be from the first look, I went it is not worth trying).

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 pm

nickobec wrote:
mogwaiboi wrote:Can anyone please advise how much frame clearance there is front and back on an Ultimate with 25mm tyres?
Both my Ultimate AL8 and my new Ultimate AL9 have clearance for 25mm tyres on wide rims.

28mm did not fit the AL8 and the AL9 tyre clearances are not larger (ie I have not tried it, be from the first look, I went it is not worth trying).
Thanks Nick.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

nickobec wrote:

No clearance on the brake calipers, or no clearance on the frame itself?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mr_otsu

Postby mr_otsu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Hi All

Can anyone please advise how much frame clearance there is front and back on an Ultimate with 25mm tyres? I'm looking to replace my older Cervelo R3 with another frame as it has bugger all clearance front and back...
I just ordered the Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 in the sale. Comes standard with 25's, looks like plenty of space to me and no issues with 28 or even 30. Pics of rear and front:

Hope this helps, and happy to answer any other questions where I can.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:35 am

Mububban wrote:No clearance on the brake calipers, or no clearance on the frame itself?
No clearance on the front fork for a 28mm tyre

Might be able to squeeze a 28mm on the back, it should just clear the brake bridge, but not my current brakes on the AL9.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:15 am

mr_otsu wrote:
mogwaiboi wrote:Hi All

I just ordered the Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 in the sale. Comes standard with 25's, looks like plenty of space to me and no issues with 28 or even 30. Pics of rear and front:

Hope this helps, and happy to answer any other questions where I can.
Thank you, I couldn't see the images for some reason. I wonder if there is a difference between the clearance of a disc frame Ultimate vs caliper frame...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:49 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Thank you, I couldn't see the images for some reason. I wonder if there is a difference between the clearance of a disc frame Ultimate vs caliper frame...
It is a bit like comparing apples and pears, the are both fruit but very different.

Case in point Canyon Ultimate AL 9 SLX is an out and out aluminum alloy crit bike and though it looks similar to the others in the Canyon Ultimate range there are significant differences in geometry.

Even the Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 and Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 have different geometry.

So different frames, different wheel clearance.