Sigma DTS speed sensor not working

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Sigma DTS speed sensor not working

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Says it all really.

It's the grey bike1 unit. I thought flat battery, but pressing the test button was OK. Replaced it anyway to no avail.
I've tried it with the bike2 sensor and it's fine, so it isn't the head unit playing up. I've gone thru the troubleshooting part of the manual without luck, but can't get on Sigmas www thanks to the filters at work.

Anybody got anything I might have missed?

Thanks
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wayno

Postby wayno » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:42 am

When I first got the Sigma 1606 DTS the cadence sensor would only pick up when the magnet was touching the sensor (and even then it wasn't 100%). It was replaced by ebay seller and now works fine.

Although, I still have problems with cadence from time to time. Its was displaying double the cadence once and on another time it just did not read.

I'm not too happy with it after 2 months use.

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 am

The sensor is quite large and only a small part of it is the ACTUAL sensor. When the magnet runs over the right part, should be able to hear a "click" noise...

I have the Sigma DTS as well and I agree that they are fiddly to set up.

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Couldn't get mine to work until I moved it from near the caliper to closer to the hub.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:04 am

vitualis wrote:The sensor is quite large and only a small part of it is the ACTUAL sensor. When the magnet runs over the right part, should be able to hear a "click" noise...

I have the Sigma DTS as well and I agree that they are fiddly to set up.

Cheers.
Tried it, got the clicks, on both bikes, still no good.

Totally at a loss here, tried different magnets, positions, fresh batteries you name it. On both bikes, red sensor fine, grey one looks fine but nothing at the head unit :roll:

Ah well, give Tim a call.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:57 pm

I cracked the socket for my 1606L the other week, and the computer had a button hanging off where the corner of the plastic had broken off and wasn't retaining the button any more. So off to the bike shop for another replacement (no. 3 - I really should stop dropping them), but they didn't have the wired version, only the wireless... and on special. :)

So I went home, fitted it and tested it and it all worked properly. But when I went for a ride, the speed sensor worked for 17 seconds on a 45 minute ride. So I moved the speed sender up the fork, and now it was working ~ 50% of the time.

I rode over to the bike shop this morning, no speed at all this time and half way to the shop the cadence disappeared. At the shop, the guy says "I know how to fix this" - and fitted a new battery to the computer. And, of course, it all works perfectly now. The story he told me is that Sigma had a bad batch of batteries causing reception problems with the DTS, and had sent new batteries to each of their retailers to fix the problem.

What a shame they didn't mention this WHEN I BOUGHT IT! :evil: :evil: :evil:

mikeg

Re: Sigma DTS speed sensor not working

Postby mikeg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Says it all really.

It's the grey bike1 unit. I thought flat battery, but pressing the test button was OK. Replaced it anyway to no avail.
I've tried it with the bike2 sensor and it's fine, so it isn't the head unit playing up. I've gone thru the troubleshooting part of the manual without luck, but can't get on Sigmas www thanks to the filters at work.

Thanks
Shaun
Is it wireless?

If so, divide and conquer.

bike2 sensor works with computer, but bike1 doesn't.
the magnet is operating the read relays in both sensors (both clicking)

main (head) unit is working,

The wireless sensors also have a battery so that they can transmit the coded signal to the main computer.

Possible causes bike1 sensor not working:

low battery in bike1 sensor,

coded transmission of signal not rcognised by head unit,

faulty bike1 sensor,

Mike G.

CAMWEST member

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Wet day? I know my Cateye unit (wired non-cadence) on my commuter didn't like it when the contacts got wet from being left out in the rain while at work. Didn't read a thing on the way home, or it flashed like it was running, but the speed and other outputs read zero all the way.

Tried it again the next day after it dried, and it's now fine. Was almost gonna justify a new computer too. Bummer.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Thanks for the tips fellers, new battery didn't fix it and it worked fine on the MTB (Bike2 kit). Cadence was good, my first thought was I've knocked the sensor and it moved out of range, no good. I was getting the little LED flashing and the tick as the magnet passed, so I'm guessing it's in the DTS bizzo.
I dropped into the LBS and Tim had a spare in stock, easy as :) ...and some Ultegra brakepads :roll:

Twizzle, I lost a button on mine a while after buying, hooked it with a glove methinks :oops: I sent an email via Sigmas WWW and got a replacement head unit in the post from the AU distributor two days later 8)

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 am

I had the same problem. After a frustrating amount of time trying to figure out what was going on I realised that it was picking up interference from my front light.

Have you got your computer mounted near anything else? I had to move my light/computer around so that they were far enough away from each other not to cause interference and still be able to pick up the sensor on the forks - but it's still a bit hit and miss.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:46 am

Mulger bill wrote: Twizzle, I lost a button on mine a while after buying, hooked it with a glove methinks :oops: I sent an email via Sigmas WWW and got a replacement head unit in the post from the AU distributor two days later 8)

Shaun
Impressive customer service :shock: But those buttons are held in pretty well - even snagging on a glove shouldn't pull a button out (I just tried really hard to pull a button off the broken computer and it isn't moving!).

But... I definitely broke mine, ie. it was my own fault. I dropped my computer on the road, and the plastic edge that retains one of the corners of the reset button broke off.

Having disassembled the first computer to get the water out (it went through the washing machine), I can tell you that all of the buttons and contacts have seals to keep water out - as long as they aren't immersed in deep water, they stay dry. My second computer had two trips through the washing machine - low water level - and survived.

The weak point in the design in the ease with which the case is damaged when dropped. If only they had a silicone rubber cover around the edges to protect it...

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:19 am

twizzle wrote:The weak point in the design in the ease with which the case is damaged when dropped. If only they had a silicone rubber cover around the edges to protect it...
Blardy good idea, that. Years ago I had a cheap Sigma computer that died when I dropped it from less than 1m onto concrete - no external damage but I suspect the computer board cracked. A silicone 'bumper bar' could help that sorta thing as well as damage to the plastic body, and could have waterproof button covers integrated into it. Could even make it replaceable so you could colour match your frame... 8)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 am

m@ wrote:
twizzle wrote:The weak point in the design in the ease with which the case is damaged when dropped. If only they had a silicone rubber cover around the edges to protect it...
Blardy good idea, that. Years ago I had a cheap Sigma computer that died when I dropped it from less than 1m onto concrete - no external damage but I suspect the computer board cracked. A silicone 'bumper bar' could help that sorta thing as well as damage to the plastic body, and could have waterproof button covers integrated into it. Could even make it replaceable so you could colour match your frame... 8)
Husband of my second best friend (SWMBO is first) does industrial design/manufacture... but she kicked him out a week ago when she discovered he'd been dipping his wick elsewhere for over a year. :?

Anyone know someone who could do a small production run? We could brand them 'BNA' :)

Matty

Postby Matty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:57 pm

twizzle wrote: But... I definitely broke mine, ie. it was my own fault. I dropped my computer on the road, and the plastic edge that retains one of the corners of the reset button broke off.

The weak point in the design in the ease with which the case is damaged when dropped. If only they had a silicone rubber cover around the edges to protect it...
Thoroughly agree that the case would benefit from a little shock absorption around the edge. I've dropped mine a couple of times and chipped the corner. Now occasionally if the button gets snagged it will swing out from the body. Thankfully it generally stays put where it should.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 am

Strawburger wrote:Have you got your computer mounted near anything else? I had to move my light/computer around so that they were far enough away from each other not to cause interference and still be able to pick up the sensor on the forks - but it's still a bit hit and miss.
Good thinking Strawb, thanks. I tried it with lights (10W halogen, Basta Superflash, cheap LED lidlight) and without. In the shed, besdie the road and on the train all without luck. Glad the LBS had a spare in stock :)

Twizzle, I agree with the customer service bit, I only emailed asking about the availability of spares, a new head unit went above and beyond.
Oh yes, a silicon guard would be the ducks guts.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 am

Oh yeah, welcome outside Strawb :D

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Bringing up a slightly old topic...

The speed sender failed yesterday. It had dropped speed for short periods of time over the last couple of weeks, but yesterday only provided speed for a couple of minutes. Spinning the wheel gave 'clicks' but no light... but just R&R'ing the sensor was enough to bring it back to life again - for a while, anyway.

So I went past the bike shop this morning. New battery in my sender = totally dead sender. First new sender out of the box would either flash, dim flash or no flash. Second new sender out of the box works fine. Now, I know a sample size of three isn't much... but a 66.6% failure rate isn't too healthy.

Mind you, the first new sensor was working perfectly again after the battery was changed - which just goes to show that the battery issue that was mentioned previously by the shop isn't limited to the display unit, and they probably should have changed all three batteries at the time.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

chrisjie

Postby chrisjie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Any advice on installing?

I have the speed sensor on my left fork, but I can't put the magnet on the left spoke...otherwise it hits. And on the right spoke it's too far?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:05 pm

G'day

Anyone worked out how to get these things to work consistently? I have a unit which I put on the MTB, worked okay and then on Friday's ride it worked for 300 metres and then stopped getting a signal from both the cadence and speed sensors. Nothing has changed. Between Sigma and Garmin I am getting so over bloody bike computers :x

Andrew

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:22 am

I've now had to replace the battery in the replacement speed sender - lasted less than two months from picking up at the shop, but it still drops out from time to time.

I WILL be going back to full wired.

Sigma wireless is !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:Anyone worked out how to get these things to work consistently?
Good question.

I have two separate Sigma computers on two bikes and had zero issues in over 12 months...up until last month when one of the units (both wired) just stopped working part way through a ride.

Long story short...I took the "magnet" off the spoke and quickly worked out that it wasn't magnetic anymore. Say What? Closer inspection revealed that the magnet itself sits in a plastic sleeve and was no longer present. Of course I'd mounted it on the spoke so that if the magnet ever came loose from the plastic sleeve it would be ejected at high speed.

Had an old spoke magnet from a long deceased Cateye computer and all is now well again. At least in my case it was black and white...no magnet = computer not work. Solution = replace magnet. But when they work 50% of the time for no apparent reason... :evil:

JustinD

Postby JustinD » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:48 pm

I have the Sigma BC2006 model. I find it drops out maybe 5% of the time. Given that it provides me with heart rate, speed, etc, and that I am not that serious about the data, I feel I can live with it. It is annoying when it drops out. I also found the design of the speed sensor a little quirky as I lost the little metal clip thingy that sits just inside the cover. When I did that the unit would make all the magnetic click sounds but not transmit - really silly design.
Also, customer service was excellent.
Justin
------------
Trek 5.2
Specialized Rockhopper '93 vintage & commuter
early 80s Gitane 531 road bike (work in progress to flat bar )

lukas

Postby lukas » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 pm

twizzle wrote: Sigma wireless is !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.
Having dealt with a very temperamental Sigma wireless unit on my Tarmac for the last few months, I tend to agree.

I'm thinking about sticking the trusty old cateye wired back on.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:08 pm

G'day

Is there such a thing as a reliable wireless computer, preferably with HRM?

I have put a Blackburn Nero on Anne's bike but really haven't tried it out much yet. I am hopping the new 2.4 (?) ghz designs are better.

Andrew

stevebaby

Re: Sigma DTS speed sensor not working

Postby stevebaby » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Says it all really.

Thanks
Shaun
Are you using LED lights while speedo is turned on?
An electronics engineer explained to me why my Sigma didn't work any more...the LED can fry the electronics in the speedo,particulsrly Sigmas. I changed speedo brand, no probs since.