Steel Frame Clear Coating

bobbythebrit

Steel Frame Clear Coating

Postby bobbythebrit » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am

Hey all, just wondering if I could get some advice with fixing up an old Speedwell frame for my better half.

The paint on the bike is actually is real good condition for it's age (40 years) with a few expected chips here and there. I'd actually like to keep it how it is but wanted to put some sort of protective layer over the top if possible so was thinking of clear coating it which will give it a little bit of a glossy finish too.

My question is: Do I need to apply a layer of another solution before clear coating? Some sort of solution which will allow the clear coat to stick the paint?
'94 Gary Fisher Paragon
'99 Gary Fisher Aquila
'97 Corratec 3004

P!N20

Re: Steel Frame Clear Coating

Postby P!N20 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:56 am

^ I'd just give it a good clean with some metho or similar then apply the clear coat. Use gloves to avoid fingerprints. Keep in mind clear coats are still porous, so while it will help keep the paint in good condition, it won't stop rust from forming.

Disclaimer: not an expert and never done it myself.

bobbythebrit

Postby bobbythebrit » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ I'd just give it a good clean with some metho or similar then apply the clear coat. Use gloves to avoid fingerprints. Keep in mind clear coats are still porous, so while it will help keep the paint in good condition, it won't stop rust from forming.

Disclaimer: not an expert and never done it myself.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Luckily, there is actually no rust on the frame, just a little on some components which I'm working on so not too worried about rust forming on the frame.
'94 Gary Fisher Paragon
'99 Gary Fisher Aquila
'97 Corratec 3004

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Clear coat doesn't seal the surface completely and further oxidation could occur. Use a car paint cleaner initially. For the stubborn stuff try meths. Seal with ph neutral wax or similar.

One of the golden rules of conservation is "do no damage". You can always remove the wax with meths. The clear coat is harder to undo. The wax is likely to be cheaper than the clear coat so win-win :-)

bobbythebrit

Postby bobbythebrit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 am

RobertFrith wrote:Clear coat doesn't seal the surface completely and further oxidation could occur. Use a car paint cleaner initially. For the stubborn stuff try meths. Seal with ph neutral wax or similar.

One of the golden rules of conservation is "do no damage". You can always remove the wax with meths. The clear coat is harder to undo. The wax is likely to be cheaper than the clear coat so win-win :-)
Thanks mate. By car paint cleaner, what do you mean exactly? Like a general car wash solution or a car polish type solution?
'94 Gary Fisher Paragon
'99 Gary Fisher Aquila
'97 Corratec 3004

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 am

Yep, car wash. Household detergent is reputed to have unhelpful stuff in it, I wouldn't know though. Degreaser should be used with caution too, it can damaged decals.

bobbythebrit

Postby bobbythebrit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 am

RobertFrith wrote:Yep, car wash. Household detergent is reputed to have unhelpful stuff in it, I wouldn't know though. Degreaser should be used with caution too, it can damaged decals.
Sweet, have been using car wash all along. Thanks for your help. Will see how it goes.
'94 Gary Fisher Paragon
'99 Gary Fisher Aquila
'97 Corratec 3004

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:08 pm

I actually use Penetrol with great result.

My steel frame do have some surface rust. So it helps to draw out moisture.

For your application, Penetrol prep. surface, either metal or enamel painted, will make the clear coat sticks a bit better. I have tried with or without, there is a different.

Only thing is make sure Penetrol is completely dried before you applied the clear coat.

http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/ ... i_rust.php