How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:24 am

New bike shake down this morning. Took it easy and enjoyed the ride. Only one mysterious clicking noise which I quickly worked out was a cable tie under the BB I'd forgotten to snip off and it was clipping the crank on each revolution.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:33 am

Was threatening rain this morning, and a fairly stiff southerly. Didn't want to get the new bike wet, or battle into the wind on the bike path so went up and over the hill on MTB. The trails kept me out of the wind, mostly. Had to fix the puncture from last week before I left, but now tempting fate because I forgot to ring a suitable spare.

Heard thunder behind me when on top of the hill, but it stayed dry.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:25 am

Has been a magic week for commuting in Auckland... wet roads on Monday otherwise nice and dry... have managed to go climbing the rest of the week and temp has been perfect, although found a couple of pockets where it dipped to 2c this morning ... forecast is for rain next week but that will change by tomorrow
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 pm

To the cyclist who overtook me on the Koonung Creek Trail at about 4:40pm today: you need to learn the road rules, or start following them. When you overtook me, you did so straight into oncoming traffic, which is why I called you an idiot. All you had to do is control your impatience and wait several more seconds, and you could have overtaken without putting anyone at risk. Furthermore, yelling something incoherent at me when you passed me while riding in the other direction, a bit over 20 minutes later, just makes you seem like a childish bully. Grow up.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:To the cyclist who overtook me on the Koonung Creek Trail at about 4:40pm today: you need to learn the road rules, or start following them. When you overtook me, you did so straight into oncoming traffic,
If you were using Strava, try FlyBys..

kb

Postby kb » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Back to commuting post sickness. Legs were fresh and talked me into a couple of efforts. No coughing fits but the worst nausea I've had in a long while. Maybe keep it easy for a little longer :-)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:12 pm

kb wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:To the cyclist who overtook me on the Koonung Creek Trail at about 4:40pm today: you need to learn the road rules, or start following them. When you overtook me, you did so straight into oncoming traffic,
If you were using Strava, try FlyBys..
Pity Strava doesn't do PMs.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:27 pm

just had 2 days off. still not feeling 100% but just couldn't have any more time off with 2 weeks of leave starting monday so back to work i am.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Super windy for the run home yesterday. I got blown off the road twice. Gusting to 80km/h again now so I hope it backs off for the run home.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Wet and windy on the way home, rain stopped but then I got a puncture. Close enough to walk home so I'll just have to fix it later.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

Last night was fun. Pretty horrendous - drenched, blown sideways at one point and mostly around 3°. Took about an hour to warm up after getting changed

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:05 pm

It's nice drafting behind buses (at a safe braking distance of course) when they can only do about 40kph due to traffic, it definitely saves the legs for that km or so :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm

I managed to draft a bus today as well... just not long enough and most times they get caught in the traffic so quicker to pass them... then realise there bis a head wind and cant get back on
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Another wet evening, and another puncture: 2 in 2 days. The only difference is I am now running Schwalbe Durano tyres.

Hopefully just a coincidence but not much fun having to fix punctures in the evening.

DS

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Commute was good.
I went the normal 25k route instead of the direct cop out.
Slowly getting some mojo back as the bleak winter wanes :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 pm

What a week.

Another wet evening, a puncture each day for the last 2 days, so, could my tyres stay up this evening??

Well, yes, but my chain broke. The connecting link broke. I can't really complain, the chain has done close to 10,000KMs and I was intending to replace it last week when I replaced the chain on the other bike, but I need a new chainwheel so put it off so I can do both at once. Oh well, just a bad week I suppose.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

DS

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 am

1 more ride to the weekend... has been wet and very windy... I have 3 bikes that need cleaning, set of disc pads to change, 1 x chain to replace, 2 tyres to replace and still have 2 wheels in the shop being repaired... its a costly habit this cycling but has been a nice change using the roadie... outside rim brakes are crap when trying to stop in the wet from 50km on a 20+ decent

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Commute today was just awful - had to catch the bus & then a train. How can people do that to themselves day after day?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:10 am

Made it all the way to work and back on the bike . . . woohoo :D

Got home and watched the footy: Eat 'em Alive :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DS

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Rode MTB up and over the hill yesterday. Tried a new way home and found a nice steep path. So steep it would have been difficult to walk up without the bike, but it led to a great view and a better trail home. Will probably repeat.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am

Somehow I missed the rain this morning.... unfortunately the car trying to overtake me when their was no room didnt although he only bumped me and I managed to stay upright... then he braked for the traffic jam 100mtrs away where I gave him a mouthful about stupid passing manouvers and he replied about how I shouldnt be on the road and then I left him sitting in traffic

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 am

Glad to hear you avoided the car-nage cancan.

Laughed at a couple of pathetic morons this morning. No 1 thought that squeezing alongside me would make his trip quicker, despite the car park 20m in front of him. I waved as I rode past, never to see him again. No 2 wanted to show off how his bully bus came equipped with a noise maker. Didn't seem impressed to discover my air-zound is louder :D

To restore some balance to my trip I had a nice chat at the lights with a tradie in the ute in front of the bully bus. Despite the road going uphill & me being old & fat & slow, I was still quicker that the other lane.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:58 am

Hello everyone, long time no see :) I'm not dead! I did get chased by a very feisty father-duck this morning though.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 pm

i'm back after a fortnight off. i have post holiday blues :*(

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 am

Another day, another commute, another deliberate close overtake by an anti-cyclist moron :(