Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

MattNSW

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby MattNSW » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 am

Would 16" be the wheel diameter? (I'm new, as in this afternoon new, to this hobby)

Secondly, if it's typical does that mean that the parts to put it back in its original condition are plentiful and easy to find?

Thanks for your help. There are some cracking bikes on this thread, am I the only person who's thought of going through the scrap piles of nearby farms? Farmers don't usually mind if you ask first...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

It's official 26" wheels for MTB are dead. Now it's so hard to find parts I found a Scott Aspect 26" this morning on hard rubbish. Deore derailleur, shimano hydraulic discs. Was missing a front skewer, but found a replacement about 2/3 the way home. It's was a fair walk with a wheel tucked under my arm holding the stem up on the Scott and wheeling my commuter bike home. amazing what people chuck away.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Good afternoon all, I have lurked around here for years and generally don't post to any forum, it's just me being weird I know. Part of it is, while I quite like reading info, there can be some mis-information out there (very rarely here though) and I have a network of like minded friends I can liaise with so haven't had the need. Also I generally don't like people going online in order to get a back pat or some form of validation, yes I'm also old and grumpy. However the sole reason for registering is so I can do exactly what I don't approve and that is get a back slap.

So here we go. I think I (well a friend in Sydney who spotted it and sent it too me) have got the hard rubbish find of all times that I will mention just to keep people interested as I'm sure we all thought there is nothing good put out there these days.

I am now the proud owner of a Gios Super record complete wit the coins in the fork crown.

Pretty good hey, well it gets better. Groupset Campagnolo 50th anniversary. Yeap it happens. The irony here is some of the group was missing so I have now spent over $500 getting matching brake levers and pedals. Hubs aren't anniversary but who am I to complain. I have also sent my mate a voucher so a free bike has already cost me over $600.

Im not going to post photos because it seems difficult but keep looking, it happens.

And of course it was my size.........

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:57 am

Yep, I think we can close this thread for ever now; that can't be topped. Major envy right now

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:19 am

Discodan wrote:Yep, I think we can close this thread for ever now; that can't be topped. Major envy right now
except we need pics!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:58 am

It seems notoriously difficult and I can't be bothered messing around on my phone. I may try later on my laptop however it exists.

Not your traditional Gios blue but lighter blue fading to white

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Sorry bychosis, no images are going to happen. I refuse to set up a third party platform in order to show photos (see my first post about being old grumpy and not a fan of social media).

I did look online when it first arrived in order to find a similar paint scheme but couldn't so I can't even attach a web link. Sorry about that, but it is a ripper. I forgot to mention it has a Bernard Hinault Turbo saddle (a bit worn but still serviceable) and overall very tidy for it's age.

gm6046

Postby gm6046 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Gordon1 wrote:I am now the proud owner of a Gios Super record complete
Gordon1 wrote:Im not going to post photos because it seems difficult
Cool story bro.................

uart

Postby uart » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Gordon1 wrote:Sorry bychosis, no images are going to happen. I refuse to set up a third party platform in order to show photos
It really isn't rocket science Gordon. Some of the best sites to store/share photos are Google Photos, Imgur or Flickr (if you don't mind making a free account). If you want even easier however (anonymous upload with no account or no sign-in needed) then just use tinypic http://tinypic.com/

The following image took me about 30 seconds to upload (no account needed) and share here using tinypic.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 am

Hi uart
Thanks for the heads up (as well as the two pm's I received from other members) about pic's.

For various reasons I like to keep a low profile/digital footprint and really the main purpose of my post was to let members know there are still gems out there so keep looking and don't get disheartened by the amount of rubbish, dare I say it, put out as rubbish.

Pictures of my bike doesn't change the fact that in all the junk gems do still turn up. I'm hoping my find will be topped because it means an old bike is saved and someone will be happier than me (although that will be difficult).

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am

Gordon1 wrote:I am now the proud owner of a Gios Super record complete wit the coins in the fork crown.

Pretty good hey, well it gets better. Groupset Campagnolo 50th anniversary. Yeap it happens. The irony here is some of the group was missing so I have now spent over $500 getting matching brake levers and pedals. Hubs aren't anniversary but who am I to complain. I have also sent my mate a voucher so a free bike has already cost me over $600.

Im not going to post photos because it seems difficult but keep looking, it happens.

And of course it was my size.........
Pics or it didn't happen.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Gordon1 wrote:Pictures of my bike doesn't change the fact that in all the junk gems do still turn up.
Can't help but think this is a stolen bike that some thief couldn't be bothered taking to Cash Converters. Hope I'm wrong, but people don't throw out Gios Super Records with Campy groupsets.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Pin20, while you may be onto something there are various circumstances and facts around this one that make me think it isn't the case. As I noted a mate found it for me so I am not entirely certain (but can easily clarify by a phone call) of all the circumstances. The key was the build up of grime from not being used for years (I know that proves nothing) as well as some other "giveaways".

And with this discussion we are now getting to the bottom of why I keep a low profile (not saying I want to keep potentially stolen goods) however I subscribe to the less "people on the web know the better". I have a network of old bike friends that I can discuss all manner of rusty bikes without "going public". Posting pics (I dare people to read the terms of use of tinypic (even as a visitor)) doesn't prove or disprove that some people have no idea what they are throwing out (anyone remember the Simpsons episode when Homer doesn't want to buy the violin at the garage sale....A "stradawhovious" he says).

So to sum up, it happened, no pics, if stolen and can be proven I have to give it back. And now out of the limelight I go like I was for many years (and not because of the hypothetical of it being stolen) just that I would be better spending time in the garage tinkering with old bikes.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 pm

The dying art of discretion; a totally understandable position Gordon.

Where it came from will probably remain a mystery. I prefer the jilted wife theory myself

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks Discodan, two great lines there. You get it.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:09 am

Another reason it was left may be that the owner was hoping it would have another 'life'; too good for scrap metal, but not knowing how or where to sell the bike.
It may have been a family member left with the task of clearing up, knowing how one person cherished the bike but no family members sharing the same interest.
I have four in my collection that fit this category. Except that I was connected to them by owners or mutual friends. That I was able to know the background makes them more important to me, not a commodity but a much-cherished machine with a known history.

In time I will need to identify future custodians, but I have a few kms to ride in the meantime.

Nice work Gordon1 and get out your proper camera to send me proper photos not crappy phone snaps. That bike deserves better!

munga

Postby munga » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:32 am

well, that guy was a lot of fun..

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am

Gordon1, let me introduce Munga.
He normally is found in one of his many Facebook playgrounds he sets up, but still occasionally drops by here. After he has 'marked' his presence here, he soon leaves to patrol the rest of his territory.

Douglas Adams would probably have also classified him as 'Mostly Harmless' and advise readers that Munga is "best remembered for advising budding ebay sellers of the valuation of their bike."
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks Clydesdale and Munga, I'm glad I made an impression. Managed to stir a few pots and sit back and watch.

Munga, how do you know I'm a guy?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am

he has gone, he won't be back for weeks.
Pity we couldn't swap his appearance frequency with that of Halley's comet.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:14 am

Gordon1 wrote:Munga, how do you know I'm a guy?
Can't speak for Munga, but I don't know many female Gordons.

Gordon, you could try Cyclebucket to post some pics of the Gios: http://cyclebucket.com/

No sign up, no bothersome fine print, just a third party image hosting site created by the founder of another Australian cycling forum.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

So I go to great lengths to say I keep a low profile....do you really think I would use my real name?????

Might check that link....don't hold your breath though because I've got a Gios to play with.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 am

^ I used my real name. If I PM you my e-mail address will you e-mail me some pics of the Gios?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 am

Gordon1 wrote:So I go to great lengths to say I keep a low profile....do you really think I would use my real name???
You're right, you probably wouldn't use your real name, but there is a very slim chance you would pick a fairly gender specific name from the opposite gender. Most would pick a random word, phrase etc to keep a low profile. Perhaps you could have chosen Girosfinder1.

Still like to see pics, after all pics are pretty much the point of this thread - don't really want them via pm though, unless you'd allow another forum member to post on your behalf.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am

Or my father's name and I have daddy issues.

But to more serious matters , I will give in to peer pressure and send some decent photos to another member who I have already promised.

On the weekend I will take some snaps and if the other member would be so kind they will be there for all to see.