What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

warthog1

Re: What, no 2017 Magpie thread yet?

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

biker jk wrote:
You might possess a thick skull as a defence against injury. :lol:

:evil: :lol:
I prob do but hasn't got through the styrofoam on my helmet yet.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

warthog1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
You might possess a thick skull as a defence against injury. :lol:

:evil: :lol:
I prob do but hasn't got through the styrofoam on my helmet yet.
How do you know? :?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:19 pm

'Cause I'm not dead :wink: :lol:

Sorry about the language :oops: 3:00 if you want to skip most of it

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:07 pm

So I've got a friendly one just near work that I commute past daily. He just checks me out, squawks but doesn't get particularly close. It was fun watching him struggle to swoop in close today in the gusty wind.

I've got a second who is much more aggressive and he's on a part of my commute that I can route around, but it means going through a crappier intersection. decisions, decisions - get swooped or go the crappy way :cry:

In the wind today I passed a couple of blokes riding into the wind getting hammered by a maggie and they just had nowhere to run to. I was flying past in the opposite direction at 50km/h++ so the magpie never had a chance to catch me.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sure let's run with that analogy,
When the magpie is equipped with a fast acting neurotoxin that paralyses the muscles of respiration I'll commence to show some concern.
Until then it remains a 300 gm feathery fella defending it's nest that at worst delivers a light tap. I'll drop my head and pedal like I have for the last 20 odd years and hundreds strikes on my helmet and continue on unconcerned.
I'm yet to have an eye plucked out or even suffer a slight scratch.
Juts because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean others haven't had severely damaged eyes or fallen off due to the surprise of a bird coming out of the blue and hit them and hurt themselves badly. Don't be so arrogant.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Hergest wrote: Juts because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean others haven't had severely damaged eyes
So how many cyclists do you know with "severely damaged eyes"?
You might find one who sat up and copped one from the side. Never met anyone with more than a scratch if that.

Hergest wrote: or fallen off due to the surprise of a bird coming out of the blue and hit them and hurt themselves badly. Don't be so arrogant.
Yes, that is the point.
The only realistic way to suffer serious injury is because you panicked.
It simply doesn't warrant it.
Take it as arrogant if you want. It is a simple observation that has been pointed out by others also :|

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 pm

In 2015 I got worked over fairly regularly by our feathered friends during the season, and I did a bit of research to see what I could do about the problem. One piece of advice that resonated with me was "carry some food with you to feed them". I bought some mince from the butcher, divided it into magpie-size servings, wrapped them in twists of cling film, and put them in the freezer, to be thawed out as and when required.

Lo and behold - all magpie swoopings ceased immediately! This was magic mince! I have never taken it out of the freezer, and I forgot I even had it until today. What has happened to remind me, you ask? Well today I got my first swoopings for two years - the same bird twice (outbound and inbound). He is plying his trade just about a kilometre from my front door, and so I can pop out tomorrow morning to deliver his tribute without stuffing up my ride.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm

march83 wrote: In the wind today I passed a couple of blokes riding into the wind getting hammered by a maggie and they just had nowhere to run to. I was flying past in the opposite direction at 50km/h++ so the magpie never had a chance to catch me.
Don't get too cocky :-). I've been hit quite hard from behind descending at 50kph (Don Rd down into Healesville)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Hergest wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
When the magpie is equipped with a fast acting neurotoxin that paralyses the muscles of respiration I'll commence to show some concern.
Until then it remains a 300 gm feathery fella defending it's nest that at worst delivers a light tap. I'll drop my head and pedal like I have for the last 20 odd years and hundreds strikes on my helmet and continue on unconcerned.
Juts because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean others haven't had severely damaged eyes or fallen off due to the surprise of a bird coming out of the blue and hit them and hurt themselves badly. Don't be so arrogant.
He's just taking over the devils advocate role from another forum user who previously used to do this kind of stuff.

I reckon we need to give him the Cawdor Rd magpie, or an equivalent of the now deceased (shot dead IIRC) Mcgraths Hill magpie. That last one was totally fearless. It would fly at people, rather than chase.

Not so sure what dropping your head and pedalling would do against it... and if you stop, the damn thing would still fly up at you head on.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Hergest wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
He's just taking over the devils advocate role from another forum user who previously used to do this kind of stuff.

I reckon we need to give him the Cawdor Rd magpie, or an equivalent of the now deceased (shot dead IIRC) Mcgraths Hill magpie. That last one was totally fearless. It would fly at people, rather than chase.

Not so sure what dropping your head and pedalling would do against it... and if you stop, the damn thing would still fly up at you head on.
Can you still see?
Has it plucked your eye out? :wink:

Who was the other forum user btw?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm

You didn't answer the question. You sidestepped it like a politician does.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:

His name wasn't Maurice was it?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:You didn't answer the question. You sidestepped it like a politician does.

Perhaps you can spell the question out more clearly so I can attempt to address it.

Again it is a 300gm bird. Apologies if I am not petrified by it.

If it flies at me I can see it coming and it flies into my helmet breaking its' neck not mine.
If it comes from behind it has to get my face which is below the level of my shoulders so it has to bank ridiculously sharply like some kind of feathered red baron (without the machine guns).
Sorry but I'm riding my bicycle with a helmet on not storming the beaches of Gallipoli under a hail of machine gun fire.
What exactly is it I am supposed to be scared of?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:07 am

warthog1 wrote:
Hergest wrote: Juts because you haven't had a problem doesn't mean others haven't had severely damaged eyes
So how many cyclists do you know with "severely damaged eyes"?
You might find one who sat up and copped one from the side. Never met anyone with more than a scratch if that.

Hergest wrote: or fallen off due to the surprise of a bird coming out of the blue and hit them and hurt themselves badly. Don't be so arrogant.
Yes, that is the point.
The only realistic way to suffer serious injury is because you panicked.
It simply doesn't warrant it.
Take it as arrogant if you want. It is a simple observation that has been pointed out by others also :|
Shoot this girl an email to tell her that all she had to do was keep her head down and pedal.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-13/m ... ye/7929550

How about this poor lad who ran into the way of a car. I suppose he was soft eh?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 909acdc956

You might notice if you read the above article that a researcher from Griffith University says that "at least one eye is lost every year" Perhaps you should get the details of those people from him so you could contact them to tell them they should have just kept their heads down like you do because hey, it's never happened to you so surely couldn't happen to anyone else.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:08 am

Hergest wrote:
Shoot this girl an email to tell her that all she had to do was keep her head down and pedal.

How about this poor lad who ran into the way of a car. I suppose he was soft eh?

You might notice if you read the above article that a researcher from Griffith University says that "at least one eye is lost every year" Perhaps you should get the details of those people from him so you could contact them to tell them they should have just kept their heads down like you do because hey, it's never happened to you so surely couldn't happen to anyone else.
So Hergest you've trawled the internet for evidence of the lethal threat the demon magpies present and this is the evidence you reveal.
A 7 year old girl was pecked in the eye and a 12 year old boy panicked and ran into the path of a car?
Do you think the result would have been better if she kept her head down and kept on pedaling?
I do.

Matter of conjecture but I'd hazard a guess that those injured riding a bicycle didn't do just that ;)

I've never considered myself particularly brave but I guess it's all relative depending on the company you keep.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Hergest wrote:

So Hergest you've trawled the internet for evidence of the lethal threat the demon magpies present and this is the evidence you reveal.
A 7 year old girl was pecked in the eye and a 12 year old boy panicked and ran into the path of a car?
Do you think the result would have been better if she kept her head down and kept on pedaling?
I do.

Matter of conjecture but I'd hazard a guess that those injured riding a bicycle didn't do just that ;)

I've never considered myself particularly brave but I guess it's all relative depending on the company you keep.
Nope, first couple of hits on the first search page . I'm sure I could have found countless more but it was a response to your comment which I quote...

You might find one who sat up and copped one from the side. Never met anyone with more than a scratch if that....

I hardly find blindness and death copping one from the side or more than a scratch. Your arrogance that everyone should do as you do as there's no problem remains to the fore.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 pm

warthog1 wrote:Matter of conjecture but I'd hazard a guess that those injured riding a bicycle didn't do just that ;)
I had a helmet with a number of holes in it from one magpie. I now have a helmet with a number of long cable ties applied to it. One of the cable ties came off the other day .. magpie whacked me there ... I applied 3 more cable ties to it. Magpies are dangerous. Personal experience, nothing more than peddling past.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I got whacked yesterday by the good ol' boy in the park on Riversdale Rd, East Camberwell - Melbourne readers will know.

He's an annual institution down there and guards his territory with admirable zeal. Kinda nice to see him back again this year.
:lol:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Hergest wrote:
Nope, first couple of hits on the first search page . I'm sure I could have found countless more but it was a response to your comment which I quote...

You might find one who sat up and copped one from the side. Never met anyone with more than a scratch if that....

I hardly find blindness and death copping one from the side or more than a scratch. Your arrogance that everyone should do as you do as there's no problem remains to the fore.
A 7 year old girl.
I can accept a 7 year old girl was unable to maintain her composure and may have presented an easy target for an aggressive bird with a sharp beak.
If you wish to present that as a valid reason to melt into a cowering basket case when flown at by a small bird go right ahead.
Similarly the 12 year old boy died because he panicked. A situation you seem keen to perpetuate by overstating the danger.
Seriously mate in the relative scale of risks faced it is a pretty damn small one if you simply keep your head down and pedal.
I accept it seems a leap of courage but it is not hard.
If it flies at me I can see it coming and it flies into my helmet breaking its' neck not mine.
If it comes from behind it has to get my face which is below the level of my shoulders so it has to bank ridiculously sharply like some kind of feathered red baron (without the machine guns).
Works for me and that is without wearing eye protection. I can't see how the hell any magpie is going to inflict any kind of eye damage if you add that and don't crash by panicking.
Last edited by warthog1 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Warin wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Matter of conjecture but I'd hazard a guess that those injured riding a bicycle didn't do just that ;)
I had a helmet with a number of holes in it from one magpie. I now have a helmet with a number of long cable ties applied to it. One of the cable ties came off the other day .. magpie whacked me there ... I applied 3 more cable ties to it. Magpies are dangerous. Personal experience, nothing more than peddling past.
As had I. A butcher bird on cureton ave mildura. Plenty of indentations in the styrene on the back of my helmet.
Injury to me or the multiple other cyclists in the local club? Zero.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Warin wrote:
As had I. A butcher bird on cureton ave mildura. Plenty of indentations in the styrene on the back of my helmet.
Injury to me or the multiple other cyclists in the local club? Zero.
So helmets do work to keep cyclists safe after all. :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:30 pm

biker jk wrote:
So helmets do work to keep cyclists safe after all. :lol:
Indeed they do :wink:
I would certainly wear one on Cureton ave Mildura this time of the year. Not sure I agree with forcing everyone to wear one whenever they are on the bike.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Philistine wrote:He is plying his trade just about a kilometre from my front door, and so I can pop out tomorrow morning to deliver his tribute without stuffing up my ride.
Nobody seems to be hanging by the thumbs waiting for the rest of my story but I'll post it anyway.

This morning I drove to where I judged the epicentre of yesterday's swoopings to be and hung around for a while. Result - no magpie! He might have been on his smoko, but I think it more likely that he was watching from the trees, and, because I wasn't on my bike, I was no longer an adversary worthy of his steel.

I went back a while later on my bike - still no magpie!. I rode around slowly and walked a bit to let him get a good look at me (assuming he was there), before leaving the mince on the ground. If I was going to feed him I wanted to earn full credit for it - I didn't want him getting the idea that it rains mince in Moorebank!

I went back again in the car. This time the mince was gone and there were two magpies (male & female?). wandering around where I had left it. They seemed to be quite friendly, and became almost effusive when I shared my apple with them. I shall ride past tomorrow to see if my charm offensive has worked.

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm

I've recently got a funny commute to Lilydale in north/east Melbs that takes me up Hull Rd & into Lakeview Drive in Mooroolbark, the maggie getting it's kicks out there doesn't care what I say. It's not really so bad, a bit like getting hit over the head with a teatowel. I turn my radio off in my earphones so I can her it's wings swooping from behind so I don't "FILL MY PANTIES WITH THE WARM MOIST REMNANTS OF LAST NIGHT'S DINNER" myself like you normally would the first time.
I originally thought there were two maggies there, but he does you on one side of the road & later on when you're over on the pathway off on the opposite side he flies right over to that other part of the road for another go. Does the same the other way around.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Hergest wrote:The one at the end of Powerhouse Road in Liverpool is having exploratory swoops as is the one on Greystanes Aquaduct.
That one at Greystanes is going after everyone, not just riders but people walking as well. Had a walker warn me about it. Easy diversion to Merrylands Rd that avoids it completely.