Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

munga

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby munga » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:he has gone, he won't be back for weeks.
Pity we couldn't swap his appearance frequency with that of Halley's comet.
ouch. making friends and enemies since '76

guessing we've had words on fb before?
Last edited by munga on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Gordon1 wrote:Thanks Clydesdale and Munga, I'm glad I made an impression. Managed to stir a few pots and sit back and watch.

Munga, how do you know I'm a guy?
apologies for assuming your gender. you're still a lot of fun tho.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:09 pm

munga wrote:
Clydesdale Scot wrote:he has gone, he won't be back for weeks.
Pity we couldn't swap his appearance frequency with that of Halley's comet.
ouch. making friends and enemies since '76

guessing we've had words on fb before?
just joking.
But it was also to give you the ideal opportunity to reply with a comment about cycle (as in Halley's comet) and recycle (as in the thread inference), in the context of a cycling forum, but you didn't use the opening I left for you.
I am trying to encourage gordon1 to share his knowledge. Just don't need you being your natural self.
I have seen photos of the bike, and it is as good as it is described.
And based on other information supplied, gordon1 is very knowledgeable about vintage bikes and has my respect.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:25 pm

meh - no time for fakers. see you all in a few weeks, or something.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:28 pm

the Gios Torino Super Record that has been the subject of discussion this week.
Thanks Gordon1 for the image and permission to post
If it was mine, I'd be asking Marco Gios if he knows anything about the paint scheme.
Very nice package. Very lucky new owner.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 pm

^ Nice. Are they Campione Del Mondo bars? Look deeeeep.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:43 pm

P!N20 wrote:^ Nice. Are they Campione Del Mondo bars? Look deeeeep.
pixelated to protect gordon1's identity

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks Clydesdale Scot for being over cautious. Unfortunately the stem us a bit knocked about so my ugly mug was already pretty un-recognisable.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 pm

And it was cold when you took the photo, right?

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
For various reasons I like to keep a low profile/digital footprint and really the main purpose of my post was to let members know there are still gems out there so keep looking and don't get disheartened by the amount of rubbish, dare I say it, put out as rubbish.
Awesome find! And it does give hope cos I can't ever imagine wanting to pay 50th anniversary prices.
And I get the low digital footprint thing too.

Cheers to Clydesdale Scot for posting the pics.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 pm

I've got two new hard rubbish finds to report.

1. Colnago Arabesque. Full 24 carat gold plated and signed by the whole 1984 DTF winning team.

2. Crappy dept store / toy shop Cyclops "unisex" step through.

For various reasons though, the costs of getting my digital film developed, the size of my digital footprint in comparison to my digital shoe size - etc, I can only post pictures of the latter. :p

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey uart, crazy thought but if you spent less time uploading photos etc you would have more time to find bikes. Then there may be 2 Colnago's and a Cyclops.

Just a crazy thought on my part.

Ride safety and have fun doing it.

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm

i saw an old apollo 26" mtb the other day out walking the dogs, was gone today when i walked past again, dont know if anyone nabbed it as the whole pile of stuff was gone so i assume it went to the recyclers.

RichB

Postby RichB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Gordon1 wrote:Hey uart, crazy thought but if you spent less time uploading photos etc you would have more time to find bikes. Then there may be 2 Colnago's and a Cyclops.

Just a crazy thought on my part.

Ride safety and have fun doing it.
Your post took longer to type than uart's picture posting. So yeah, arguably crazy.

This is a strange part of the forum, maybe it should be retitled the dungeon. I'm going to smile and back away slowly.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 am

Isn't it funny how sarcasm can clearly be lost on the net.

RichB, some people get my approach(and sarcasm) some don't. Doesn't make either view wrong.

Thanks to Clydesdale Scot ( I might start calling him the voice of reason) for the following link.

https://shop.cicli-berlinetta.de/produc ... record-57/

Could be my Gios is an ex team issue frame. And how ironic that when you read the description the previous owner wants to remain anonymous. Fancy that hey.

What a fun social experiment this posting here has been. I might head back to my dungeon.

Take it easy on the roads everyone and remember to have fun riding and restoring or collecting. Last time I checked that's why I'm in but it would be inappropriate to guess or assume others reasoning.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am

uart wrote: 2. Crappy dept store / toy shop Cyclops "unisex" step through.
So, all sarcasm and attempted humour aside, why did you take the Cyclops? It looks like it's in pretty good condition, but it's "crappy" as you say.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am

Gordon1 wrote:Isn't it funny how sarcasm can clearly be lost on the net.
Also known as falling into the sarchasm. :)

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 am

Gordon1 wrote:
Thanks to Clydesdale Scot ( I might start calling him the voice of reason) for the following link.

Could be my Gios is an ex team issue frame. And how ironic that when you read the description the previous owner wants to remain anonymous. Fancy that hey.
Amazing shop, I stayed a 15 minute walk away from there when I was Berlin. Giddy like a schoolgirl with the amazing bikes they had. All I bought was a cap :D Highly recommended.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Gordon1 wrote:Thanks to Clydesdale Scot ( I might start calling him the voice of reason) for the following link.

Possibly a typo, but the description says the frameset was from the Continental Squad of 1989, then goes on to say it's from the early 80's. Early 80's sounds right, 1989 doesn't.

I would have thought a team issue frame would have had the number tab braze-on, as it would be intended to race. Like old mate Alfons De Wolf's Gios here:

...but not trying to take away from what is obviously a beautiful machine.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Yes definitely early 80's (and assuming the bulk of the group is original it means 1983 give or take as that is the 50th anniversary)

Definitely no tab for race number and pretty certain it hasn't been taken off.

No need to apologise, your observations are valid and about the bike, not other distractions, which is what should be happening. While I would like it to be a team issue I'm presently in a position of not giving a damn because it landed in my lap. I simply cannot loose.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Sorry everyone. Yeah I was taking the piss - it's what I do. 8)
RobertL wrote: So, all sarcasm and attempted humour aside, why did you take the Cyclops? It looks like it's in pretty good condition, but it's "crappy" as you say.
Hi Robert. Yes, that cyclops is not my cup of tea, but I decided to grab it and restore it to gift to someone. My father (87 yo) expressed an interest in riding a "step through" type bike around some quiet flat trails near his place (he's not flexible enough to mount a regular bike).

A bit of a coincidence really, that he mentioned that to me then about two days later I was riding home and spotted that cyclops on a junk pile. I'll probably take it over to him this weekend and check that he can actually ride it. Yeah I'm still a bit dubious, but he is pretty active for his age. :)

Regarding the condition, yeah I'd say it had hardly been ridden more than a handful of times before being thrown. Definitely original tyres, brake pads and chain, with no measurable wear on any of them.

It had a nasty buckle in one wheel, so maybe crashed (or possibly even nudged by owners car) and then it was prolly just left to rot for a few years before being tossed. Most of the chromed parts like the handlebars, cranks, seatpost, front hub and brake arms were really spotty with rust and it looked pretty awful.

I trued the wheels and re-greased all the bearings (wheels and cranks) and then I passivated all the rusted areas and painted them with a black epoxy rust guard. I also lubbed all the cables and chain and got it running pretty smooth (probably better than new TBH, cheap bikes like this are really poorly put together from new). I know it was probably way more effort than the stupid bike was actually worth, but hey it was for my dad. :)

It could actually make a pretty decent bike for the odd smooth trail though. Nice wide 622-40 tyres and triple crank 18 spd. Weighs about as much as a small cow though. ;)

Last edited by uart on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm

uart wrote:Hi Robert. Yes, that cyclops is not my cup of tea, but I decided to grab it and restore it to gift to someone. My father (87 yo) expressed an interest in riding a "step through" type bike (he's not flexible enough to mount a regular bike) around some quiet trails near his place. I'll probably take it over to him this weekend and check that he can actually ride it. Yeah I'm still a bit dubious, but he is pretty active for his age. :)
Sounds suitable for that sort of use though. I've stopped picking up 'everything' and tend to be more selective. That still does involve grabbing a BSO occasionally if I know I can use some of the parts.I've helped out a mate just because I had a spare wheel lying around after he hit his with the car. Other times I've repaired and flipped them. Mostly it's not worth the effort though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.