What did you do with your bike(s) today?

MattyK

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby MattyK » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Last week - Rollerboys on the road bike at the advice of the LBS, trying to get the shifting to behave itself. Seems to be a little better.

Today - new outer and inner shifter cable on the commuter. Can finally access the bottom 3 gears of the IGH again. Happy days.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:03 am

Playing around with the brakes - trying to get spongy feeling gone and get more brake power. Seems to be good today.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Swapped out the old reliable 6600 brake calipers and chainset for a mid compact 5800 52/36 (still 175mm) and 5800 calipers.

Anyone who wants the brakes and chainset 53/39 130 bcd can have them for the price of postage.
They are dirty and need new pads and big ring.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

G54B

Postby G54B » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:41 am

Resurrected it. Haven't been on a bike without an engine in it for years, I'm tired of turning into an unfit blob three weeks after the rugby season finishes and jumping on the treadly instead of going for a run is going to be a better option for my decidedly average knees.
Half a tub of HTB grease, several rags, nearly a full can each of Inox and brake cleaner and a lot of fiddling and I have myself a serviceable piece of crap MTBSO. The rear wheel's slightly bent and the suspension's seized, but it'll do until I can afford something decent.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 am

Very nice. Keep your eyes on Gumtree and can find a pretty serviceable bike for cheap.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

warthog1 wrote:Swapped out the old reliable 6600 brake calipers and chainset for a mid compact 5800 52/36 (still 175mm) and 5800 calipers.

Anyone who wants the brakes and chainset 53/39 130 bcd can have them for the price of postage.
They are dirty and need new pads and big ring.
PM'd
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Fitted the new Ultegra R8000 front mech (replacing 6800 mech), and new cables/housing.

I like clean cable routing, so decided to do away with the inline barrel adjuster and take advantage of the inbuilt cable tension screw on the R8000 front mech.

Setup seemed to be a little easier than the 6800...doing away with that silly little tool to work out cable routing/fitment.

Shred11

Postby Shred11 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 pm

I went out and rode the Railton to Sheffield (Northern Tasmanian) rail trail.

It wasn't a bad day for it, but I didn't see a single cyclist, pedestrian or horse rider on the entire return journey. Guess it's just not the time of year for it - the trail was pretty boggy near the rifle range at the Sheffield end.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 am

Cleaned, repacked and reset the cup and cone BB on my old Raleigh, redid the headset bearings on a Shogun Samurai. So much grease...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Went for a five hour ride and ignored the round and round contentious forum threads. I feel clean again :lol: Must do it more often :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Removed the 30mm of spacers on my Giant endurance bike to see if it makes any difference to feel. No problems on the first commute this morning.
Although the fork looks like it's 1mm looser than it should be fitting under the bottom of the head tube. Will pop into the LBS and get them to cast an eye over it.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:26 pm

idiotically tried to carry a steel sign a short distance on my bike. turned a corner, bike went one way, sign another and into rear spokes, then the seat stay. bike is no more.

bought a replacement - 2015 Madone. a bit scrappy but mechanically good. it belonged to a young gun who has presumably moved onto something newer and shinier. since the weekend I've:
- fit my quarq power meter, replacing the quarq that it came with (but defective).
- tuned the FD, as my quarq seems to have different spacing (more shims) and is mid-compact instead of standard.
- performed a 10 speed conversion, as all my good wheels are 10 speed freewheels. this involves taking 1 cog out and putting the redundant spacer behind the cassette, then tuning the derailleur.
- adjusted the brakes, which were both poorly adjusted (lever action almost back to bars).
- switched my 6700 rear brake blocks for the 6800 ones, which have a different grub screw position and won't accept my 6700-compatible carbon pads (I could have drilled the pads out, easier to swap brake blocks). noticed that previous owner had positioned the block washers in the wrong order, and one washer was missing.
- adjusted seat height, added carbon paste to bone dry seat/post interface (although at least it wasn't seized)

still to do:
- replace rear gear cable/housing, which isn't shifting right.
- inspect/adjust headset, which is loose.
- adjust front derailleur syncro again, as it's shifting too far outboard

keeping me busy..

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Surreptitiously fitted my unauthorised wiggle purchase Zondas onto the Ribble 7005.
The delivery text arrived on my phone this morning and I snuck down and picked them up, fitted tyres and cassette and put them on.
Chopped up the box and packaging and placed it in the bottom of the wheelie bin which goes out tomorrow.
Hung the bike back on the rack in the garage.
I may survive.
No more for a while now :oops:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Took the zondas out for a roll today.
They are very good. :)
You can buy racing zeros which are less than 100 grams a pair lighter, but they are twice the price and have thick aluminium spokes that look draggy to me. I wonder if they are any better?
Zondas get the tick of approval from me anyway.
Last edited by warthog1 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Well, yesterday... Put new elastomers in the old Manitou forks I have so I could get that bike off the work stand and then moved on to stripping down my cracked MTB frame so I can reuse the good parts on another cheaper bike. Should be able to knock off about 3-4kg off the cheaper bike with the decent wheels, and bling bits.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Lowered the seat about half an inch and slid it forward another half inch....rode to work...aaaah...much better.

Still playing around with the fit on the new Vivente till its near perfect.
Might have to put a short and higher stem on it yet as the reach is a little demanding.

Cheers

Brumby33
( Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 pm

On Tuesday I serviced (basically cleaned and lubed) my CAADX CX bike - also removed the winter fenders and associated gunk build-up. Yesterday took it for a 100k ride up the Warby trail and back home, and it went really well. 6 years and 42,500 kms up and plenty of life in the old rig yet I hope.

Today I'm tweaking my newer Synapse for Sunday's ATB - an extra small spacer under the stem, bars turned up a fraction, and replacing the 25s with new Conti GP4S 28s on my best wheels.

Looking forward to that predicted NE tail wind down to Sorrento. Hoping the wind will drop a little on the way back though !
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Adjusted the rear derailer so i can now select the big cog again, was working great till the other weekend i replaced the tyre on the rear, when i refitted the wheel wasnt changing as smoothly and couldnt select the large cog.

Dont think i knocked or moved the derailer, but anyways think i got it all sorted again now, just gotta wait till i can get out for a quick test ride.

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:54 pm

I added a 5m spacer to my stem and gave the bike a clean and lube in preparation for the ATB this Sunday. I may commute in tomorrow, which means my OCD will play havoc over the smallest amount of dirt on it and then I'll need to clean it again on Saturday. :D
I overtook some people going uphill once.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Swapped out the -8 degree stem for a -17 on the ribble 7005 courtesy of ebay.
I then measured it up alongside the S5.
The ribble now has a 5 mm larger saddle/bar drop but a 5 mm shorter reach. Close enough for me :)
Swapped out the 1 ride old rear gp4000s for a rubino pro.
I'll save the 4000s for the front or use it in the rear at a later date.
I'll see how the rubino pro goes wear, grip and puncture resistance wise.
4000S are my go to tyre for all around performance but the rubino pro is half the price :)

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Got my bike all prepped for a social ride with the Wiggins pro conti team tomorrow.

There is a 200w gap in performance but will try my best! ;-)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Got my bike all prepped for a social ride with the Wiggins pro conti team tomorrow.

Don't forget your TUE. :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:58 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Got my bike all prepped for a social ride with the Wiggins pro conti team tomorrow.

Got for it mate, have fun. :)
How good is cycling?
How many other sports can you go out and participate with the best there is. 8)

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:10 pm

BikerJK - will do... I had to Google 'Wiggins TUE' to figure out what you were on about! :-)

Warthog - I know. I'll hang on for dear life and let you all know how it goes.... if anything, I should get a few rear end pics on the iPhone... :-)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Yesterday: rebuilt my temporary new MTB with gear from my cracked frame. Shaved off a significant amount of weight.

Today: day off work, so ticked one off the bucket list and rode the fixie up and back the Fernleigh Track. Longest fixed gear ride to date, 30km, and the hills weren't as bad as I expected.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.