spike jones frames

landyacht

spike jones frames

Postby landyacht » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 pm

has anybody got any knowledge of a WA builder in the 1970's called spike Jones . I came a cross a really nice bike at the weekend that wa ridden in the 1978 nationals. built by spike ,who was located in Willagee..The bike was a cracker. i would love to know if anybody can shed any light on him and wondered if hes still around. also on the same day I watched a lad racing under 17's very successfully on a Kenevans.
day was topped off by a youngster that i had helped get started , going out on a solo attack and winning WA U19 state title. Awesome day of cycling

hiflange

Re: spike jones frames

Postby hiflange » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Milton "Spike" Jones was a member of the WAHCC, sadly he passed away a few years ago. He raced in his youth and built some very high quality frames including several for Rod Evans. One was used in Rod's 24 hour record attempt.

A couple of links; Milton's WAHCC obit and an earlier thread on BNA with some pix.

Coincidentally I photographed Milton's workshop last weekend. To a large degree it's the way it was when he left us in 2013. I'll post a link in due course.

Below pic is from the Retro Bike Show a month ago. Aside from a handful of new bikes from local builders and a lone Malvern Star the two MH Jones bikes and one frame below were the only Australian built machines on show! Guy on the right is Frank West who is starting up a register for MH Jones bikes.

Last edited by hiflange on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 pm

nice couple of bikes there, very tight lines on the track bike
Phil

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Just to add to this thread here is picture of my M.H. Jones which is covered in the thread mentioned by Roger above. Now resplendent with the superb decals supplied by Greg Softley at Cyclomondo http://cyclomondo.net/index.htm Not my best photo, sorry...

Mine has 'G J' cut into the underside of the bottom bracket if it means anything to anyone. Also, as I have had a lot of comments and just to set any minds at rest it really is meant to have a carrier as it has a special second rear stay bridge to take the carrier mount and/or a Sanyo tread dynamo which is original to the bike (ie expertly brazed, using the same braze as the rest of the bike under the original paint.)

Richard

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 pm

thanks for the replies. I dont have this bike in my collection ,but will keep an Eye on it . perhaps my interest will set the owner to restoring it himself. this one had a distinctive SJ cut out in the BB. A really nice frame that would be a real keeper

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Of course there is only one type of tyre that is appropriate for a Spike Jones bike.

http://www.tiogausa.com/main/products/t ... y-slicker/

Cheers,

Cameron

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 am

Hi all... my first post! I'm the guy with the blue MHJ at the recent bike show. I bought the little beauty last year. Frame only, it had been "de-decaled" but some of you may recognise it as the early 90's Eddie O'Hara custom 531C with Cinelli Supercorsa Aero BB, internal cabling etc that was on sale for a while. Had a great time restoring it and fitting it out primarily with 74xx Dura-Ace. Great paint job by Cameron from CycleColor. Rides beautifully and had no probs keeping up with the carbons on a recent group ride.

It's a bit late but will provide more info later. In short, have spent time with Mavis Jones (Milton's widow), tracked down Rod Evans (Aus and World record breaker who rode a number of MHJones bikes ... some great stories there) and a few other owners and learnt more of Milton and his bikes. The red 653 track bike (there IS literally 3mm between DT and tyre!) was also recently restored and Owen (the tall chap and original customer) has been getting podiums at our local velodrome.... against carbon bikes again... much to the joy of the crowd apparently.

With the aim of educating owners as to what they own, and hopefully slow the frames being turned into can-painted fixies or being donated to bike charities (it's happened) I have started an MHJones (incl Capo) frame/bike register which the WA Historical Cycle Club has offered to host. Hope to be able to provide room for specs, ownership history, stories and links to pics.

Mr Wyvern... I want to talk to you as yours was one of the bunch of bikes I've added. I will be issuing numbered registered acrylic tags once a bike is verified as genuine. More to come on that later. That'll do for now. I have to build up my posts apparently.

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 am

Richard Wyvern... the "GJ" in the BB is very likely the initials of the customer the bike was built for (as indicated to me by Milton's son).
Spike may have done this on some bikes, but I know for sure not all as I have looked very closely and photographed a few recently.
I own 2 (higher spec custom) MHJ's and neither have initials.
Do you have hearts cut out of the lugs?
I'm going to speculate now. Hearts were apparently reserved for family members only.
Milton's son's name is Gavin Jones.
That would be something!

Just as an aside, Rod Evans 24 hour record attempt bike had R and E cutouts in the head lugs. More to come on that frame later.
Last edited by MHJonesRegister on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am

superfly wrote:Richard Wyvern... the "GJ" in the BB is very likely the initials of the customer the bike was built for.
I believe Spike did this on some bikes, but I know for sure not all as I have looked very closely and photographed a few recently.
I'm going to speculate now. Hearts were apparently reserved for family members only.
Milton's son name is Gavin Jones.
That would be something!

Just as an aside, Rod Evans 24 hour record attempt bike had R and E cutouts in the head lugs. More to come on that frame later.
Down south at the moment, I will get back to you asap or ask the wife to send me the bikes details

Richard

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm

landyacht wrote:has anybody got any knowledge of a WA builder in the 1970's called spike Jones . I came a cross a really nice bike at the weekend that wa ridden in the 1978 nationals. built by spike ,who was located in Willagee..The bike was a cracker. i would love to know if anybody can shed any light on him and wondered if hes still around. also on the same day I watched a lad racing under 17's very successfully on a Kenevans.
day was topped off by a youngster that i had helped get started , going out on a solo attack and winning WA U19 state title. Awesome day of cycling
Hi Landyacht, not sure how this forum works and whether you are notified of additions to the thread or only thru specific replies to your
initial question. Anyway, hope this gets to you. For better or worse, most people don't know MHJ's so can come relatively cheap. All the frames I've viewed painted&naked are impressively made and my personal opinion is the more skills on show the more desirable. So far every frame I've seen has been Reynolds but from the few conversations I've had I believe Spike may have worked other tubes as well.
If the frame's your size and seems a reasonable price (given componentry), I'd seriously consider it. Double check if you can it is an MHJ/Capo and get it onto the register! Even if you don't buy, please let the old/new owners know. Email mhjonesregister@gmail.com. Cheers. Frank
PS Worth mentioning is that Greg Softly has produced MHJ decals and can produce different colours (as Spike used a number colours). Greg also has original Capo decals so he should be able to reproduce those. If you repaint, take close-up piccies of features & original decals beforehand to maintain link with after version. (Spike didn't number his frames.) Spike made/sold frames under Capo brand to compete with the market's move towards Italian makes in the late 80's & 90's. It's a shame people think they're being different/special by buying a Colnago from the hundred's available on ebay when instead they could buy a bit of rare hand crafted Aussie metal. MHJ's don't often come on the market and maybe with the register they'll stay in/go to "safe" hands.

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 pm

MyPost#4
A link to a few pics of restored MHJ....
https://www.facebook.com/perthretrobicy ... =3&theater
Now, how to attach images!

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 pm

SHORT WRITE UP PROVIDED BY ROD EVANS FOR FLOURO YELLOW FRAME AT PERTH SHOW.... unfortunately pics haven't pasted in.... I added a small comment re Opperman setting record in France as it's a wonderful small insight into "a different time".

MHJones Reynolds 700 Classic
24 Hour World Record Track Frame

1989 Build

Milton “Spike” Jones (1931-2013) was a highly respected local frame builder and founding member of the WA Historical Cycle Club.

This frame was built to specific requirements for Rod Evans for an attempt on the World 24 Hour track cycling endurance record in June 1990.

The record had been held by Sir Hubert Opperman for 50 years and stood at 787.9 kilometres.

Rod completed 805.846k’s in the 24 hours at the Midvale SpeedDome. (In May 1994 Rod made a further attempt on the world record. He set new world records for 12 hours, 454 kms; 24 hours, 853 Kms; and 1000 kilometres, 29 hours 12 minutes.)

This frame is highly unique in that it was built to allow Rod to fit a uridome to his body and urinate into a bottle whilst still pedalling. You will see holes in the top tube allowing a hose extending from Rod’s cycling shorts to pass through the frame and then into a bottle on the down tube. In advising Rod on the record attempt, Sir Hubert Opperman had recommended that Rod did not stop for comfort breaks and urinated on the track – something Sir Hubert Opperman had done during his successful 1936 1000 Kilometre record attempt. Fearing that modern society might be less impressed with urination in public Rod chose to use a uridome. Unfortunately the innovation failed during the record attempt. Not only was the hose found to be an inch or two too short for comfort, but urination proved all but impossible when riding at full effort. (Frank here… Oppermann apparently set his record in France and he told Rod that whenever he pee’d on the track, the French would stand and give him an ovation!!!!)

You will notice that Spike included Rod’s initials in the frame construction. As well as building the frame for Rod’s record attempt, Spike was also Rod’s masseur.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 pm

The top tube pee hole is something else. I have seen it in person and do not want to know about the corrosive effects! Thanks for the wonderful share Frank. We need to get Rod along to a club meeting sometime.

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 pm

RobertFrith wrote:The top tube pee hole is something else. I have seen it in person and do not want to know about the corrosive effects! Thanks for the wonderful share Frank. We need to get Rod along to a club meeting sometime.
Eeeeuuwww.... that would be gross. The uridome consisted of a condom like thing connected/tied to the um... rider. The waste tube passed into the top bar in the top middle and exited at the bottom of the top tube near the headset. The tube then was inserted into the waste bottle mounted conventionally on the down tube. If I remember correctly, and it's something I hope to clarify, the idea was that when the bottle was filled if would be thrown into a collection net/basket and an empty bottle would be handed to the rider on a subsequent lap. Cycling Weekly (Vol14 No4 Aug-Sep 1990) which reported the 24hr attempt has a picture of the actual ride and the pipe can be clearly seen passing into the bottle. I'll post that cover later, and maybe the whole article if there's no copyright issues. The cover also has a picture of Rod sitting on his round Australia record breaking 1989 MHJones. Rod recently dusted off and started riding the tourer again (I suppose you'd call) and still loves it. He's ridden it across Australia number of times so must feel like an old familiar appendage.
Last edited by MHJonesRegister on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:42 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Just to add to this thread here is picture of my M.H. Jones which is covered in the thread mentioned by Roger above. Now resplendent with the superb decals supplied by Greg Softley at Cyclomondo http://cyclomondo.net/index.htm Not my best photo, sorry...

Mine has 'G J' cut into the underside of the bottom bracket if it means anything to anyone. Also, as I have had a lot of comments and just to set any minds at rest it really is meant to have a carrier as it has a special second rear stay bridge to take the carrier mount and/or a Sanyo tread dynamo which is original to the bike (ie expertly brazed, using the same braze as the rest of the bike under the original paint.)

Richard
With regard to the carrier mounts, it should not come as a surprise that Milton Jones built touring bikes as well as track bikes, racing bikes etc. One of his touring bikes was used to break the Around Australia record on July13th 1989. The record set by Rod Evans was 13,900kms in 49days 22hrs 31mins. Broke the record by 30 days. I have a recent picture of the bike and it clearly has mounts for carriers front & rear. An amusing anecdote... The bike was/is a fixie. Once you get to the top of Greenmount Hill to get out of Perth, Australia is flat, so easy peasy you'd think... 13,880kms to go. Not so readers! Rod's not the smallest of blokes, so loaded up with gear the bike and rider would have weighed, I'm guessing, well, WELL over 100kgs. One of Rod's hairier moments was coming down a steep hill in Bathurst and realising that he was really struggling to slow the bike. Motor racing fans amongst you will enjoy the image of a rider on a loaded up fixie coming down The Esses and Dipper at 180+ cadence. The bike, resplendent in original red and yellow, has been ridden across Australia a number of times and is still going strong. Takes steel to do that!
PS: Anyone interested in registering their MHJones/Capo, or would like any information shared by owners or any rides or events that might be organised can email mhjonesregister@gmail.com. It's early days, so please be patient, but hopefully something of interest and enjoyment will come of it.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:24 pm

MHJonesRegister wrote:Richard Wyvern... the "GJ" in the BB is very likely the initials of the customer the bike was built for (as indicated to me by Milton's son).
Spike may have done this on some bikes, but I know for sure not all as I have looked very closely and photographed a few recently.
Milton's son's name is Gavin Jones.
That would be something!
OK, back at home, I see you have found the previous thread. I have a flickr album of this bike at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24580288@ ... 7052541033
I bought this from an ebay seller called 'SydneyVintageBikes' IIRC some time ago (8 years?) and as you can see from the picture it was in sad condition. It had been used as a pub bike and in another picture (which I can't find) is shown with rusty, out of synch cottered Stronglight cranks, flat pedals and straight bars, no derailleurs. I only got the frame and the Shimano 600 headset So how this lightweight found its way to Sydney from Perth and then was neglected as a hack is a bit of a mystery. I've always thought of it as a fairly early example as it had wrap-around sheet decals and used what were basically 70's style Shimano braze-ons and dropouts. I will post you a full spec. here are some photos to show the lugs and decals. Mine has Clover leafs in the side panels and what i would call an arrow in the top of the lugs. This looks like part of the original lug before it was modified. And of course the 'GJ' under the bottom bracket.
I don't think this is a 'touring' bike as such, I reckon it is a fast comfortable day ride for someone who also wanted to carry a raincoat and some sandwiches and a toolkit not crammed into the back pocket. The extra bracket also acts as a perfect mount for a Sanyo tread roller dynamo so maybe a fast training bike? It is very light and I must say is one of my 'goto' bikes for the ride to work. It also climbs like it has an angel pushing it... :)

Richard

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks Richard that's great and looking forward to exchanging more info. Just hold off sending though as I'm trying to settle on spreadsheet data to collect and how we'll upload that to the WA Historical Cycle club website. That's the easy bit... we (Rob Frith!) are working out best way to get links in there for back-stories and photo's. I've also been delayed with regard to the laser cut MHJ Tags (with reg no.) I plan. Our laser cutter requires a specific document type which has been trickier than expected. FYI, Mavis still has a lot of original invoices so will gently suggest to her at some stage to allow me a peak (& scan) and that may provide another source of information with regard to original owners, production date, tubing etc. I've have a digital angle calculating thingy and that has been interesting... seeing the correlations between different frames. Decals... I'm yet to work out when Spike retired proper but ALL the unrestored MHJ's & Capo's (up until at least mid '90's) I've seen have the sheet decals except for my blue restored MHJ which was originally branded as Capo but with a unique cursive script and seemed to be cutouts. That was pretty sanded off by the time I got to it unfortunately and it was beyond salvaging and copying. Plus Greg had decals by then and I was happy to go MHJ. It may possibly have been a customer arranged hand painted branding. The customer was a friend of Spike's so don't know what the arrangement was. Changing the subject, I am restoring a '47 5Duck Swansea and I may need to pick your brains about (learning/restoring/sourcing) integrated headset cups. You've written about that somewhere else or offered to send someone something but I'm still bit clunky finding my way around this site so will keep looking. Cheers, Frank

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Milton was working right up to his death. A couple of club members had frames with him for repair and I know other people who'd used him for frame repair as well. I don't know when he built his last MH Jones, I'm sure Mavis will be happy to help when she's back in town.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 pm

There's a small MH Jones with full Superbe Pro coming up at the WAHCC auction next Monday night. It's a rough cosmetically but would come up a treat. Gotta be a member ($25) to bid.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Bit of a cross post, but in case you're subscribed to this thread and aren't watching the WA forum....

MH Jones Day is this Saturday.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

And a good time was had by all :-)
More pics here.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:14 pm

A great display. Thanks WAHCC & members for putting it on.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Looks like a MH Jones track bike on gumtree if anyones keen on nabbing one

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beacons ... 1195745952

MHJonesRegister

Postby MHJonesRegister » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Have been talking to Jacob about registration but doesn't seem interested. Have offered to write up his ad... doesn't seem interested. I just hope it doesn't get spray canned. I do have a couple enquiries out with some old boys to see if we can work out who it belonged to originally. Someone with initials SC or SG. Late '70s I think.... maybe early 80's. Mine has similar geometry and belonged to a state rep. Twitchy little plucker.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:01 am

Roadie up for grabs with a mish mash of parts:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fremant ... 1214738054