Audax Alpine Classic with an Everest option

ausrandoman

Audax Alpine Classic with an Everest option

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm

From the Audax Australia FB page

"We will running a Volly Ride for the ACE 500 - ACE's High at the Alpine, Yep you get to go around twice, with an Everest+ climbing total of 8,900 mtrs and a timeframe of 24 hrs, Start/Finish, Midnight to Midnight. This is how we introduced the 320. We already have 5 Riders.
Some details: Medals will be presented - time, date, and name engraved on them (in the shape of an ACE playing card), trophy to be kept by the first person - man or woman, home (its not a race). A cross bar route summary (self adhesive) with suggested splits will be provided (as will a spreadsheet that sets out opening and closing times for the controls and where you need to be on the course to finish by Midnight) as will specially branded ACE 500 Hi Viz vests (as with original ACE 250 vests (now a collectors item - for the very sad and lonely) and 'flags' (as per Fitz's Challenge) - two laminated playing card ACE's front and back with a joker thrown in for good measure - other riders and Controls will know who you are and what you are doing. Individual ride shirts will be available showing the crucial stats: 8,900 meters of climbing, 500 Kms distance, hills climbed at the running of the ACE 500 next year and you'll be able to get one having done it this year.
"

lone rider

Re: Audax Alpine Classic with an Everest option

Postby lone rider » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 am

Yeah, nah Im good thanks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:34 am

I'd love to be even able to think of doing the 250, let alone doing it twice in a row :shock:

Kudos to those that do them !!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am

It's not just the elevation but the distance as well. That's the killer. 320km with 5500m elevation is an enormous ride - but 500km with 8900m elevation? That's just brutal.

There is a tough one over in Europe at 138km 4230m elevation (Maratona dles dolomites), even if you did two of that it's still not 500km. :shock:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 am

One of the riders who did the ACE320 this year actually did it after already riding the ACE250 the precious day, plus an extra climb up Tawonga so he could hit 10,000m and join the HRS.

Same guy just did the Amy's Gran Fondo and killed it. Was in the Top 10, only seconds behind the winner in a sprint finish.

ACE500 sounds interesting. Two repeats only :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:50 am

Holy #$%^. I thought I was signing up for a pretty big challenge with the 320, but this is something else.

But well done to the AAC committee for coming up with something new, and totally within the spirit of "audacious".

I'm interested that they got police and Alpine shire permission for the night time aspects. (1st descent into Omeo, and 2nd descent of Falls and Tawonga will be in the dark). But I guess that their argument is that anyone who can even think of this is no novice, and has the skills to cope.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:32 pm

madmacca wrote:But well done to the AAC committee for coming up with something new, and totally within the spirit of "audacious".

I'm interested that they got police and Alpine shire permission for the night time aspects
It's not an official Audax. They didn't get any permits. It's just a bunch of people going for an unsanctioned ride. You will not get a brevet card for it or credit toward any awards.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:36 pm

hamishm wrote:
madmacca wrote:But well done to the AAC committee for coming up with something new, and totally within the spirit of "audacious".

I'm interested that they got police and Alpine shire permission for the night time aspects
It's not an official Audax. They didn't get any permits. It's just a bunch of people going for an unsanctioned ride. You will not get a brevet card for it or credit toward any awards.
Why would they not sanction it as an audax?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
hamishm wrote:
madmacca wrote:I'm interested that they got police and Alpine shire permission for the night time aspects
As madmacca hinted, permit issues would prevent it. The club couldn't even get permission for the 320 to run with a standard Audax time limit (which would be 20 hours, not the 16 permitted for the ACE 320). Proper Audax time for the 500 would be 33.5 hours.

It doesn't need to be sanctioned anyway. Just go ride your bike.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
hamishm wrote:

If it was gravel Scott, there'd be a couple of people I know that'd be interested. :lol: :lol: :shock:

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:23 am

Smithstreet wrote:If it was gravel Scott, there'd be a couple of people I know that'd be interested. :lol: :lol: :shock:
If you want a crazy hard gravel ride then the Jam for Jamieson in December is the ride for you. 300 or 400km, both going over Mt Skenes and a bunch of other hills.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:43 pm

hamishm wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:If it was gravel Scott, there'd be a couple of people I know that'd be interested. :lol: :lol: :shock:
If you want a crazy hard gravel ride then the Jam for Jamieson in December is the ride for you. 300 or 400km, both going over Mt Skenes and a bunch of other hills.
Ooh yeah, did the 400 last year, made it in with 40 mins to spare. :shock:
Have already booked flights and accomm for this year (Dec 9).... you think I would have learnt!! :D
#youonlyliveonce

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
hamishm wrote:If you want a crazy hard gravel ride then the Jam for Jamieson in December is the ride for you. 300 or 400km, both going over Mt Skenes and a bunch of other hills.
Have already booked flights and accomm for this year (Dec 9).... you think I would have learnt!! :D
#youonlyliveonce
Good work! I road the inaugural 400 - 4 starters, no finishers. Next year I tried the 300 - didn't finish that either. Both very hot days. Twice bitten thrice shy!

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:49 pm

hamishm wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:
hamishm wrote:If you want a crazy hard gravel ride then the Jam for Jamieson in December is the ride for you. 300 or 400km, both going over Mt Skenes and a bunch of other hills.
#youonlyliveonce
Good work! I road the inaugural 400 - 4 starters, no finishers. Next year I tried the 300 - didn't finish that either. Both very hot days. Twice bitten thrice shy!
Don't be shy, have a crack again.
I was tossing up between the 325 and 400. I haven't done the 325, but by all accounts, it sounds like they are both as hard as each other, if that makes sense. :shock: Only a 1000 or so metres less of elevation but 5 hours less to do it in!

Can't wait. :D

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Smithstreet wrote:Don't be shy, have a crack again.
Maybe! I can't make it to the Grand Ridge Rd unfortunately due to a clash with non-cycling life, pity as I've been looking forward to that ever since I built up my gravel bike. And in December I've got some other crazy cycling planned which doesn't fit with another monster 300...

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:20 pm

hamishm wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:Don't be shy, have a crack again.
Maybe! I can't make it to the Grand Ridge Rd unfortunately due to a clash with non-cycling life, pity as I've been looking forward to that ever since I built up my gravel bike. And in December I've got some other crazy cycling planned which doesn't fit with another monster 300...
That's a bummer. I haven't done the Grand Ridge Rd one but have done Gippy Gold a couple of times. The riding around the Strzelecki Ranges is so good, just beautiful countryside.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Your making me sick with all the cool gravel rides you've done smithstreet

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:03 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Your making me sick with all the cool gravel rides you've done smithstreet
C'mon mate, just jump on sometime, somewhere. All the other s**t in life is just distractions. #itsnodressrehearsal