TCR Composite 0 / Dura Ace 7800

stevenaaus

TCR Composite 0 / Dura Ace 7800

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 pm

I picked up a 2004 TCR composite 0 / dura ace 7800 this week. ... I only got into road bikes 5 years ago, and hopefully this is the last 'old' bike i'll buy. Looks kindof swish, and was a bit of an impulse buy. Here's someone else's with better wheels and less faded paint.
Damn, it's a nice solid ride. Has SRAM Apex 50/34, and 7800 shifters and brakes. Ultegra 11-23 Cassette+chain.
Loving the gear change for an old bike. Much nicer than the 5600 shifters on my Fuji. Paint is a little worn/scuffed in places, but overall, not too bad. Very light bike & solid powertrain, though havent had the chance to set it up perfect yet - on holidays.

Any thoughts on this bike ?

I noticed the left brifter is a little out of allignment but didnt know anything about it when i got it. It still works fine, but the rotating mech has bended the body mech a little. From the one's i've seen, i think it's a normal wear&tear.

Postby Six13 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 pm
6600 or 7800 shifters?
Potentially looking for some, whats out there?
You'll need [edit] something like $AU500 for a pair of new 7800 shifters from what i can see. My hoods are a little sticky too, but after a little research... not sure i'll bother changing them. Might just ride it a while then on-sell it.

Duck!
Expert

Re: TCR Composite 0 / Dura Ace 7800

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Pictured is an '03 with 7700 9-sp, but the frame is the same for '03 & '04, just minor cosmetic differences.

Front shifting may not be super slick, partially because SRAM chainrings are not the stiffest, and partially because that vintage front derailleur isn't designed for the larger ratio jump of the compact and can be a little hesitant climbing to the big ring. 7800 are still the best shifters short of 11-sp, and the frame, while not as stiff as modern offerings, is a very decent ride - probably better than some of the newer models because it does have that extra "give" (I have an '05 which is almost the same frame, just a slight tweak to the rear geometry).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Here it is
Specs http://www.giant.co.jp/2004/pop_pics_sp ... ite_z.html

Yeah - the shifting needed an extra 'trim' push to swap up when i got it,but gave the barrel a screw and had it working fine for my noosa ride.

It's funny you talk about 'give'. My first inspection, i gave the BB/cranks a lateral check for play, and was concerned to see the whole BB frame section had some lateral movement.... so much so i thought it might be cracked. But on the road i found a hill and gave it a power test and was quite happy with how it responded. Maybe not quite as stiff as my 2010 fuji, but good, and all very solid and quiet. Giving it my all on Noosa Hill, i had to give in but the drive train never felt anything less than perfect.

I got two sets of wheels with the bike. They look in good nick, but neither have an identifying model#, on the rims or hubs. Wheels on the bike are Velocity rims ("made in aus") and also hubs, with a pretty loud click to the ratchet. And the spare set are Oval hubs with totally unmarked rims, with a manufactured ~3 mm groove in the braking track.

I like those dura ace clinchers... and all the dura ace gear seems in decent nick. Not really scratched, and logos aren't fading. Previous young owner didn't know much about it.... hadn't had it for long and was "more into motorcross".

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Ok... 3 months later and another $400 or so, and the bike is nearly done. :)

Put a 25t cassette on.. somehow it's a world of difference from 23t. Now it's got enough legs for the big hills.
I found some nicer 7800 shifters, and put them on some new short drop+reach Deda bars.
Serviced the BB and headset too, and changed the wheels as the old cassette hub was getting cut up by the cassette rings and creaking.

Lots of work, and mostly new for me too. Never really done work on a Roadie before.
Putting the new shifters+bars+tape on took half a day after a few mis-steps. But love this bike :evil: