Cheap alternative to expensive cycle socks

warthog1

Cheap alternative to expensive cycle socks

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 pm

I have some defeet wooleator cycle socks I bought at some online store a while ago.
Great comfortable socks on the thicker side for cycling wear. I don't know how much I paid for them but I am baulking at the usual cycle tax now
http://www.this link is broken.au/defeet-wooleat ... 7&curr=AUD
Anyone have a more reasonable alternative?
Maybe from some other sport that doesn't attract the same price premium cycling does.
Obviously, knee-length footy socks are out but surely there are other options?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

madmacca

Re: Cheap alternative to expensive cycle socks

Postby madmacca » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:18 pm

warthog1 wrote:I have some defeet wooleator cycle socks I bought at some online store a while ago.
Great comfortable socks on the thicker side for cycling wear. I don't know how much I paid for them but I am baulking at the usual cycle tax now
Maybe from some other sport that doesn't attract the same price premium cycling does.
A sort-by-price on socks on wiggle shows a reasonable range under $10. Which is probably OK for reasonable quality socks in a wicking fabric.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:27 pm

warthog1, I have found that cycling socks tend to be priced accordingly. If you search through the specials bin in online store, they will have socks with well-known and otherwise reputable brand names but they are cheap and nasty socks which are not far removed from kmart socks.

Can't comment on dhb - many years I had some but they were pretty bad however the who brand has been moving from entry-level to mid-range and their socks (from a BNA review of dhb cyclewear) last year appear fairly good now.

The alternative is to look for the bad colours or styles that match no-ones kit and lookout for specials from retailers or brands trying to clear these hard-to-sell styles.

Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm

I don't like thin socks at all. I wear an explorer type at work.
I'm thinking more something like this;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nike-Mens-Dr ... u6H2Q&var=

Might go with them once the coast is clear after my recent unauthorised purchases :oops:

Edit; just noticed they were from Hardly Normal. Obviously purchase from that idiot is out of the question.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 pm

TBH in normal circumstances, any old sock will work perfectly really (excepting cold and hot weather). You don't really need a cycling specific sock. I've ridden in old basketball socks, old hiking socks (today), runnign socks, "athletic" socks and cycling socks (da feet, castelli etc) they all do he job.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:37 pm

mikgit wrote:TBH in normal circumstances, any old sock will work perfectly really (excepting cold and hot weather). You don't really need a cycling specific sock. I've ridden in old basketball socks, old hiking socks (today), runnign socks, "athletic" socks and cycling socks (da feet, castelli etc) they all do he job.
I am with you there, some are not good, but most are fine. I wear the cheapest harris scarfe socks for cycling/running/work/everything. I like filling my sock drawer with 1 type of sock. No sorting and matching after washing :mrgreen:

but seeing the way some of my running group talk about socks, I seem to be the odd one out.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 pm

warthog, those harvey norman nike socks have a ribbing on the ankle/calf section and I would categorise them more of a comfort sock for general sports and recreation. The better cycling socks tend not to have ribbing and looking at the toe section there is also a seam - a good cycling sock doesn't have these. In sneakers with room the seam is not an issue, for modern MTB and road cycling shoes, generally you are after a closer fit and so seams in the wrong place are not as comfortable.

Of course, as mikgit suggests, you can wear any sock... but I personally notice the difference between general sports sock and well made cycling socks with genuine moisture wicking and that have the right thickness, support and elastic. The cheap and nasty socks, in my experience, have a a shorter lifespan, they have a much loser weave and deform and rub more. Cheaper sock often don't do moisture wicking as well.

So I disagree that 'any old sock will work perfectly' but won't argue that anyone can ride with whatever socks they want to and may perceive a small or bigger difference to top-end socks.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 am

eeksll wrote:
mikgit wrote:TBH in normal circumstances, any old sock will work perfectly really (excepting cold and hot weather). You don't really need a cycling specific sock. I've ridden in old basketball socks, old hiking socks (today), runnign socks, "athletic" socks and cycling socks (da feet, castelli etc) they all do he job.
I am with you there, some are not good, but most are fine. I wear the cheapest harris scarfe socks for cycling/running/work/everything. I like filling my sock drawer with 1 type of sock. No sorting and matching after washing :mrgreen:

but seeing the way some of my running group talk about socks, I seem to be the odd one out.
haha, yeah well I say that, but I'm a total gear head and socks do come under that banner. I don't have a huge amount of cycling socks and so use whatever I think will work... but running socks, I've got heaps, thorlo's, wigwams, hilly, and nike, asics, NB.
I guess my opinion is, if you're trying to budget, then dont sweat it, any sock will do, but if you want stuff... then buy away.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:49 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Of course, as mikgit suggests, you can wear any sock... but I personally notice the difference between general sports sock and well made cycling socks with genuine moisture wicking and that have the right thickness, support and elastic. The cheap and nasty socks, in my experience, have a a shorter lifespan, they have a much loser weave and deform and rub more. Cheaper sock often don't do moisture wicking as well.

So I disagree that 'any old sock will work perfectly' but won't argue that anyone can ride with whatever socks they want to and may perceive a small or bigger difference to top-end socks.

Christopher
Sorry, just tying to input in the "don't want to spend money", in that case any sock will work, you don't have to stress about technical socks. But yeah better socks will work well and last longer.
I bought some Wigwam Ultimate hiking socks back in 1997, cost $40 per pair. Those 4 pairs are still going strong... well getting a bit nasty now. And loads of thorlos for running that go back many years (probably to the 90's, bought my last pair in 2010 and they're still like new)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm in the camp that 'socks designed for cycling are better', but I do find it hard to spend more than $15 a pair. Some are just ridiculous re what they charge.

Swiftwick are one pair that I have spent over the $15, and are worth it. Some cheaper ones tend to be small re their sizing, a bit thin or just too lairy for my tastes.

Swiftwick are pretty damn good, but even the Monton ones that I have tried have lasted well, and are well under the $10 mark

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:25 pm

AUbicycles wrote:warthog, those harvey norman nike socks have a ribbing on the ankle/calf section and I would categorise them more of a comfort sock for general sports and recreation. The better cycling socks tend not to have ribbing and looking at the toe section there is also a seam - a good cycling sock doesn't have these. In sneakers with room the seam is not an issue, for modern MTB and road cycling shoes, generally you are after a closer fit and so seams in the wrong place are not as comfortable.

Christopher
I've got some Endura baa baa merino socks that are ribbed. They are Ok I guess but a bit on the thin side.
My son has some Nike basketball socks I might just pinch a pair and try them (same size foot)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:26 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'm in the camp that 'socks designed for cycling are better', but I do find it hard to spend more than $15 a pair. Some are just ridiculous re what they charge.

Swiftwick are one pair that I have spent over the $15, and are worth it. Some cheaper ones tend to be small re their sizing, a bit thin or just too lairy for my tastes.

Swiftwick are pretty damn good, but even the Monton ones that I have tried have lasted well, and are well under the $10 mark
Thanks, I'm in that camp too I reckon and feel the same about the cycling tax imposed on some socks.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 pm

What are these socks you speak of? I rarely wear socks. :P

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Never tried it Foo, I have sweaty feet and the stink wouldn't take long I reckon.
Too cold here still. Leg and arm warmers with light gloves today.

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01 am

warthog1 wrote:I have some defeet wooleator cycle socks I bought at some online store a while ago.
Wool is currently running at the highest price back to the grower since 1988, so working on about 1400c/kg to grower add on the heaps of middle men, exporting to China,scouring,dying, milling, importing to England, selling, posting to Australia, I'd say there's not a lot in it, if you want cheaper don't buy wool simple.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:51 am

warthog1 wrote:Never tried it Foo, I have sweaty feet and the stink wouldn't take long I reckon.
Too cold here still. Leg and arm warmers with light gloves today.
I only wear socks if it hits 5c and under. I have feet that sweat in winter and they are worse if I use socks. :shock:

I use Aldi full gloves, T7 leg warmers, a winter riding shirt and news paper if it drops below 0c for a ride. :wink:

On the stink factor, use Bi-Carb soda into ya shoes, to pull any stink out. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 am

One could look at total cost of ownership. I've found sock guy socks to be extremely long wearing
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:39 am

I wear cycling socks and Prendas offer a good range, well made and at a reasonable price (2 for 15 quid or better). Not too long either for a classic look. https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/footwear/socks

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:25 am

Good info fella thanks :)
I had some sock guy shoe covers which were good so their socks should be even better being the sock guy and all. ;)
I like some of those prendas winter weight ones and better price than the usual online bike stores.
I use ti tree oil on my feet which seems to work if they get a bug never given the bicarb a go in the shoes. Sounds heavy duty, which can be required.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:55 am

A vote for prendas as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 am

AUbicycles wrote:A vote for prendas as well.
Ah they have Ducati socks. Warthog will ever be very happy with that or won't touch them with a barge fork :)

I'm tempted to buy some, which site is best to get them from?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am

my favourite and best socks are the Rapha Pro Team.
They are the only ones that stay up even after multiple washes.

dhb, maap and defeet socks all loose their elasticity around the top of the sock after couple of washes.

Plus you can get the Rapha ones on sale or on discount codes

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Still happy with my Aldi Cycling Socks I bought a year ago.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:00 pm

tomee wrote: ....
dhb, maap and defeet socks all loose their elasticity around the top of the sock after couple of washes.

You must have a monster of a washing machine !!

Have had dhb socks for a while (6 mths) & they ain't loose yet. Swiftwick ones still going strong and the pick of the bunch. The Monton ones have started to fade, but are still working well.

Can't even think of getting Rapha ones, even on discount. Their stuff is a good example of something that is, imho, waaaaay overpriced, despite being allegedly good quality.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:Still happy with my Aldi Cycling Socks I bought a year ago.
Actually, I purchased a pair and they are rubbish for road cycling... no comparison with decent socks. However for MTB they are ok but I find that it irritates my skin - not sure if this is because of materials used or it is rubbing, but I think the latter.

I don't know why I haven't tossed them yet... not even that great as casual sports / recreation socks.
Cycling is in my BNA