Advice on Scott vs Merida

Rubbish Binh

Advice on Scott vs Merida

Postby Rubbish Binh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Deciding between the two bikes but can't decide. I love both bikes and both have what I'm after: CF, DISC and ULTEGRA
https://www.bikes.com.au/2017-scott-addict-20-disc/ ( 3.1k brand new, almost cost price)
http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/ro ... -8045.html (2.5k brand new)

I don't know much about the Merida bike and there isn't many reviews online for it. Does anyone know which brand has the better quality frame, warranty and after service (this is prob subjective to LBS)?

Merida is good value for money compared to the Scott though I would rather pay a little more for quality. Saw Merida has a recall for their forks and a few people here are not happy with the way the company is addressing the recall.

New to this road bike world so leaning on this forums expertise for advice.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Advice on Scott vs Merida

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:47 pm

There is apparently another recall on Merida models fitted with the CF2 fork, the model you've linked is affected.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 9&start=50

Just on this point, and various anecdotal evidence re Merida customer service, I'd buy the Scott.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Rubbish Binh

Postby Rubbish Binh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:There is apparently another recall on Merida models fitted with the CF2 fork, the model you've linked is affected.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 9&start=50

Just on this point, and various anecdotal evidence re Merida customer service, I'd buy the Scott.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess that makes the decision easier. Makes me wonder if the bikes they (LBS) had in stock are still defective or been replaced with new forks. They did really push me towards getting a Merida bike over Apollo and the other brands they stocked.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:58 am

An important consideration is how the local representatives of these companies treat customers when they have warranty issues.

Both brands seem to be quite intent on continuing a tradition of being poor at looking after customers who have problems with their product.

There are better operators to choose from who have great products.

Rubbish Binh

Postby Rubbish Binh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 pm

trailgumby wrote:There are better operators to choose from who have great products.
I'm sure there are but given I'm new to this sport/hobby, I doubt I can tell the differences between a great bike to bad bike. I don't have anything to compare to. I will only know what I like and don't like once I'm in the saddle of my new bike and have a few hundred hours under my belt. For now it's aesthetics, price within my budget and ticks all the spec boxes I'm after. I was looking at Giant Defy Adv Pro 1 (nice light bike but out of my budget), Cannondale, Apollo, Specialized and Focus.

For future reference, what operations do you recommend and why?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Firstly, I recommend the bike that fits you. Secondly, the one that you enjoy riding. Thirdly, the one that looks after you in the event of a failure. Certain brands have a good reputation on the last item, others are poor. I don't know all of them.

Giant is certainly one of the good guys. Trek is apparently OK too. Cannondale is much improved since going to Monza Imports (not necessarily a commendation - couldn't be much worse than it was previously), and Yeti is supposed to be excellent - look up the importer and then see what road bikes they distribute. Any others I'm not equipped to offer an opinion on. Others will have better informed opinions than me.

I just know that mates have had issues with lacklustre treatment with turnaround times and accusations of being at fault somehow for mountain bike frame failures with the two on your short list.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Actually, trailgumby raises an interesting point, and am wondering why a Giant hasn't entered into your thinking. Would have thought a Defy Advanced or even a TCR Advanced would probably serve you well ($2700rrp for Defy Advanced with 105 11sp and discs for the 2018 model, am sure you could find a 2017 equivalent for a lot less).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go