The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Uncle Just

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am

Lovely spring morning in Mebourne yesterday for a pootle. Many out enjoying their ride but why do some cut blind corners or worse ride on the right in a dark tunnel? Idiot on the Koonung near Musca St Reserve just had to get past another rider by riding right in the dark but years of experience tells me never trust anything you can't see through or around. A head on narrowly avoided. :evil:
If they drive their cars like they ride their bikes.....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety ... kateboards
Wheeled recreational devices include rollerblades, roller skates and skateboards, foot scooters and motorised foot scooters.
If you're travelling on a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy you must not:
travel on a road with a centre line or median strip, or a 1-way road with more than 1 marked lane

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:51 pm

^^Young blokes after a bit of an adrenaline hit.
I remember what that was like :)
Looks like fun.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 pm

warthog1 wrote:^^Young blokes after a bit of an adrenaline hit.
I remember what that was like :)
Looks like fun.
My first thoughts too..... And realistically they are only risking themselves. I'm sure some here could argue that they could cross over into oncoming traffic and kill themselves and cause psychological harm to a poor car driver... Yet such arguments are strangely silent around here when recreational cyclists do the same thing causing psychological harm to motorists....

You know... Public spaces including roads should be more than just about cars and bikes. I was pleasantly shocked yesterday to come around the corner and find a tennis net set up across the road and kids playing... I thought died in the 80s...

I smile while they briefly removed their sporting equipment off the road so I could pass. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am

It was drizzling, roads were greasy. My concerns we're no brakes and taking me or a fellow cyclist out.
Love the tennis net story

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am

human909 wrote:I was pleasantly shocked yesterday to come around the corner and find a tennis net set up across the road and kids playing... I thought died in the 80s...

I smile while they briefly removed their sporting equipment off the road so I could pass. :mrgreen:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am

I got lost bike commuting an unfamiliar route in 2012 and grabbed an unusual KOM. In 2015 I got notification that I had lost my KOM, which I had completely forgotten about. Had to look it up on a map and even then it took me a while to figure out why I even had it :)

It's a bit of fun, if I've got any other KOM's then your welcome to take them off me :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I used to set the bin out in the street as our wicket when the kids were smaller....... And I could beat them :lol:

westab

Postby westab » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

fat and old wrote:I used to set the bin out in the street as our wicket when the kids were smaller....... And I could beat them :lol:
Mate the metal garbage bins were the best - there was never any question when you got bowled (or bowled someone else). I still remember doing this and as a competitive cricketer (fast bowler) for 25 years the old barefoot on the burning bitumen, gum nuts, rocks, .... and whatever else there was made us all tough. Even if my feet still bear the scars.

When Dad came walking up Kim place from the railway station the game went to the next level - in the three houses from the corner the jacket would come off, the sleeves would be rolled up, the briefcase would be rested by the front letterbox along with shoes and socks - everyone playing knew that it was my Dad's time to bat and the first to get him out won the day (My father played A grade as an opening batsmen who was hard to get out). Like always it was hit and run - Dad was still hard to get out; even if a little slower than he used to be.

The next day the wicket taker chose first what they would like to do (& if batting who was at the other end). Except Tuesday and Thursday when we went to the training nets at the high school for cricket training - anyone think who the coach was :?: :?: :D Ah they were fun days and living on the corner of two cul-de- sac we rarely even had to stop play for cars - those who drove usually waited for us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Cycling home this evening on a shared path with its dedicated 'walking' lane. Saw an older bloke strolling in the bike lane head-on to me so I slow down to a walking pace and said in the nicest, calmest, non-aggressive and polite voice "sir, you're walking in the bike lane".

To which he screamed and pointed "yea but you ALWAYS walk in the opposite direction to traffic!", as if its something his mummy taught him... I just kept riding :?
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 am

She probably did. I was taught that when I was about 6 years old and started walking home from school. Some people have this insane idea that it should apply to bicycles too. Have looked up more than once to see someone on a bike headed straight towards me on the hard shoulder.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

malnar

Postby malnar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 am

Many Aussies who are 50+ seem to have had it drilled into them that where no footpath available they must walk on the lane opposite to the traffic direction. Possibly part of road safety awareness at primary school. Seems some apply this to shared paths.

Procat

Postby Procat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm

In Victoria if there is no footpath and you need to walk on the road you must walk on the side facing oncoming traffic.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... edestrians

"Pedestrians must:

use the shortest or most direct way to cross a road
cross to the nearest edge of the road after getting off a tram
obey traffic instructions from a police officer
give way to vehicles at roundabouts
obey a 'no pedestrian' sign.

If you need to walk along a road and there is no footpath or nature strip, or if there is but you can't then, you may need to walk on the road. If so, you must walk on the other side of the road facing oncoming traffic."

No mention of shared paths however. :)
Doug

BJL

Postby BJL » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Procat wrote:In Victoria if there is no footpath and you need to walk on the road you must walk on the side facing oncoming traffic.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... edestrians

If you need to walk along a road and there is no footpath or nature strip, or if there is but you can't then, you may need to walk on the road. If so, you must walk on the other side of the road facing oncoming traffic."

No mention of shared paths however. :)
Like usual, the VicMotorists website doesn't quite tell the full story:

(ab) must, when moving forward, face
approaching traffic that is moving in the
direction opposite to which the pedestrian is
travelling, unless it is impracticable to do so;

You would not seriously walk on the side of the road opposing the flow of traffic on a blind bend which happens a lot in my area. One example some of you would know is the 1/20 at The Basin. Next time you ride up there, check out what little verge is on the side of the road for pedestrians between the shops and the bus turn around (especially just before Claremont Ave). It also doesn't help when motorists consider the verge of a road to be their private little car park either.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Cycling home this evening on a shared path with its dedicated 'walking' lane. Saw an older bloke strolling in the bike lane head-on to me so I slow down to a walking pace and said in the nicest, calmest, non-aggressive and polite voice "sir, you're walking in the bike lane".

To which he screamed and pointed "yea but you ALWAYS walk in the opposite direction to traffic!", as if its something his mummy taught him... I just kept riding :?
People are really hard work :(

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Man spotted pushing oBikes to the ground and throwing helmets in the public bin

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... 7f7e532a9f
HATRED of oBikes has no age limits, with hilarious (their words...) footage showing a pensioner pushing the bikes to the ground and throwing helmets in the public bin.

Hope the bike share people track this guy down and have him charged with vanadalism. :evil:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:18 am

The shame is that nobody took him to task over it. Hopefully the companies affected will go after him for the costs of replacing helmets or damage caused. :roll:

Now not the people actually doing the work, but the idiots who approved dumping all that damned dirt at Circular Quay in front of Customs House and out the miniature forest in place for about one or two days, along with the "prop" cars, an old 300E Mercedes, a white 380SEC and something else, all of which have disappeared now - and seemingly the mess is being cleaned up, or redone.

What exactly was the point of all this landscaping for a day at most, blocking a major cycling and pedestrian route? Stupid. :roll:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... c4098ad264

Scroll down to "What a Green Street could look like".

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:17 am

Ross wrote:Man spotted pushing oBikes to the ground and throwing helmets in the public bin

What a childishly petty thing to do. Growing old does not equal growing up.

Mind you, in this day and age of immediate social media crucification (evidence not required), it wouldn't look good for someone to confront an old guy with an arm sling. Just say he arcs up and you drop him - who's the public going to send the death threats to? Not him.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 am

I think this is his daughter:

"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am

Ross wrote:Man spotted pushing oBikes to the ground and throwing helmets in the public bin

What's the underlying reason for all this hatred of the bike share schemes, does anyone know?

Those bikes he was attacking didn't seem to be badly parked or inconveniencing anyone. Surely it would have been time just as well spent for him to walk down the street and vandalize every parked car?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:25 pm

silentC wrote:I think this is his daughter:

That p1ssed me off to put it mildly. :x

Good to see she didn't maintain her anonymity

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Yeah 250 pound fine and 'not sure why she did it' apparently...
- Me

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm

uart wrote:

What's the underlying reason for all this hatred of the bike share schemes, does anyone know?

Those bikes he was attacking didn't seem to be badly parked or inconveniencing anyone. Surely it would have been time just as well spent for him to walk down the street and vandalize every parked car?
I suspect it is because bicycle riders are publicly vilified.
He may listen to Ray Hadlee, Alan Jones and the like and read Newscorp material.
Said material informs his opinions and attitudes.
It is possible he has had to wait a handful of seconds behind a bicycle on occasion.
The random bike is a way for the stupid old pr1ck to act out on his repressed frustrations.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm

silentC wrote:Yeah 250 pound fine and 'not sure why she did it' apparently...
I'm sure she is aware that she is a C.O.A.T in the eyes of many now at least :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Angry, angry old dude. :lol:

On moron cyclists....where do I start? :lol: I've just done 3 weeks of Night shift in the city. Every night into the city at 7.00 or 11.00pm, every night out by 4-5.30am. The amount of cyclists is amazing to be honest....never seen so many commuters/roadies/transport types before, soon as you're south of Bell St. On top is the amount of food delivery cyclists, all over the CBD until 2.00am or so.

Equally amazing is the sheer volume of inner city transport cyclists without any lights at all after dark. Almost as amazing is the lack of bodies on the ground. I had trouble seeing a few, and I was on high alert. Stupid people who'll blame any one and everyone else if they're hit.

The food delivery types had lights to a man...or woman.