Specialized Roubaix Elite/Suport or Trek Doname SL 5 or?

Aushiker

Specialized Roubaix Elite/Suport or Trek Doname SL 5 or?

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Completing, well close [had DNF due to a serious issue with a leg muscle :(] a short Audax ride today on my Surly Long Haul Trucker reminded me that it is a really great touring bike but it is not a great Audax ride and hence I missed my Look 555. Anyway I was riding with @cavebear2 for a fair bit and he was singing the praises of his newly acquired Specialized Roubaix Comp [I think it is this model, his was an orange/black colour with Ultegra].

Anyway it has got me considering a Roubaix but at the lower price range. I am thinking maybe a Roubaix Elite or a Roubaix Sport. I am curious about the two different carbon weaves and wonder if there is that much of a difference. The other differences seem to be the crankset, hydraulic versus mechanical disk brakes and the wheels. Is the price jump of $900 justified in terms of the wheels, crankset and carbon weave?

Besides the Trek Doname SL 5 [not that keen on as I would prefer disc brakes] is there anything else in this bike genre worth considering?

The bike would be used for Audax rides and weekend rides [no groups, not racing].

Thanks

Usernoname

Re: Specialized Roubaix Elite/Suport or Trek Doname SL 5 or?

Postby Usernoname » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 am

There's a few options to loom at here - http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/230 ... road-bikes I think the GT Grade and Norco Seach '17 models at at a great price. The're more 'gravel grinders', but with 25 or 28 tires would may be worth a look.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 am

Usernoname wrote:There's a few options to loom at here - http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/230 ... road-bikes I think the GT Grade and Norco Seach '17 models at at a great price. The're more 'gravel grinders', but with 25 or 28 tires would may be worth a look.
Thanks. I will take a look.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Neither the Roubaix or the Domane to be honest. I had a 2012 Roubaix Elite which I sold looking for something faster. Nice compliant flexy bike but too in-betweensy for me. I also hired a 2016 Domane SL5 for a weekend and whilst similar to the Roubaix its got that BB90 bottom bracket Duck hates making long term ownership a little hazardous (I.e can wear the frame) and also the stupid seat post top cap which didn't play well with my Selle SMP saddle. Overall was a smooth ride and a little faster than the Roubaix (not as fast as my Defy and again a bit too in-between )

If I was looking at more compliancy and relaxed geo I'd look into titanium Bikes such as custom Xacd or the others like Lynskey, Seven, Van Nicholas, etc. And if you wanted more speed I'd look into something like a Giant Defy Advanced/Pro which also would be a lot cheaper and you can soften the ride with wider tyres and wheels.
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Dropped into my preferred LBS, Churchill Cycles and narrowed down the options to:

Giant Defy Advanced 2[the Hermit the Frog look] (AT) $2,420

Focus Cayo Disc 105 (AT) $2,420

Specialized Roubaix Sport (AT)$2,610

My big issue with the Giant is their mechanical/hydraulic disc setup with the reservoir/mechanicals mounted smack bang in the middle of the handlebars; they call it Giant Conduct.

Apparently there is a Giant Conduct accessory adaptor pack but of course it restricts you to Giant's approach which may or not work depending on your lights etc.

Anyone have any experience with the Giant Conduct brakes?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

rodneycc wrote:If I was looking at more compliancy and relaxed geo I'd look into titanium Bikes such as custom Xacd or the others like Lynskey, Seven, Van Nichols, etc. And if you wanted more speed I'd look into something like a Giant Defy Advanced/Pro which also would be a lot cheaper and you can soften the ride with wider tyres and wheels.
The custom approach will be outside of my price range for this bike I am afraid but as per my post above the Giant Defy looks interesting. Also the Roubaix is quite different beast today from your 2012 model. The suspension is now up front rather than in the rear.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Yeah think I'd be trying to go the full hydro's on the Defy like on the Pro model (Shimano RS805, hydraulic disc) rather than the Kermit mechanicals. I haven't got much experience with road disc brakes. (wonder if its easy and not much expense for the LBS to do a changeover of that??).

I'd like to hear your opinion after you test ride them on what you liked best :-)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Aushiker wrote:Apparently there is a Giant Conduct accessory adaptor pack but of course it restricts you to Giant's approach which may or not work depending on your lights etc.

Anyone have any experience with the Giant Conduct brakes?
Mine work great on my Contend SL1 disc, it's not brilliant losing real estate, but I've still got handlebar space for a small computer and the mandatory commuting bell.
I didn't get the whole accessory kit myself, my shop knew I was going to mount a camera with the GoPro attachment (Fly12) so they added the kit onto the hydraulic adapter for me:

I've got the plastic Giant "out front" camera attachment screwed up into where a Garmin would sit. The "proper" hole for the screw is under the unit, but I don't think this would work so well given the length of the Fly12's backside having to jam into the cabling:

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks Mububban. That is helpful. As this bike will be primarily for Audax and hence long night rides at times I will probably go with an dynamo and hence Busch & Mueller lights. These will not mount the same as you have done but I have found a mount which may work:

[img]https://1554652485.rsc.cdn77.org/i/p/1/ ... 1_00_c.jpg[/img

Will need to have a closer look but to see if there is clearance.

I am hoping to get along to another LBS within a week to ride a Specialized Roubaix Sport or Elite to narrow down my options.

One thing with the Giant I am curious about is what brand/model of disc brakes they are. I am assuming that they are Tektro but cannot find any details.

I notice that Ribble do an endurance bike, the Gran Fondo Disc which is considerably cheaper ... Ultegra spec for sub $2,500 but of course a bit more of an unknown and maybe not as fancy frame design/engineering.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Great article there but the elephant in the room is that the Domane and Roubaix aren't particularly fast bikes and a little disappointing in that regard compared to say a TCR or Tarmac which are now being touted as true allrounders rather than pure race bikes. Even a 2014 standard carbon framed Defy I thought felt faster than the 2016 Domane with the dual isospeed decouplers.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 am

I don't think Aushiker is planning to race anytime soon, rather he just wants a bike that is faster than his LHT for Audax type rides. A Roubaix or Domane are great candidates for that. Tarmac can be ridden long distances, I've ridden over 300km on mine but the other bikes are designed for that type of thing more so than the Tarmac so therefore more suitable and more comfortable.

I have a Roubaix as well and the main difference between it and the Tarmac, apart from the Roubaix beng smoother, is the taller head tube means you are riding in a more upright position therefore less strain on your neck and shoulders

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Ross wrote:I don't think Aushiker is planning to race anytime soon, rather he just wants a bike that is faster than his LHT for Audax type rides.
Yep, no racing.

A 2016 Defy Advanced Pro 2 has popped up on Gumtree. Looks tempting ...

Seller has added ...
Hi the bike have been bought june last year and it's not been used in the last few months.

Mint condition.. not a single scratch.
Higher specification which appeals I must admit ...

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Maybe look for a 2017 Defy Advanced 2. It has the full hydraulic disc brakes rather than the hybrid brakes of the 2018 model.

They'd be on full runout now; I got mine for $2700 back in August, but I didn't have much bargaining power since it was the last XL one available anywhere :?
Last edited by CaffeineAU on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's a review comparing the Roubaix with the Diverge that might be interesting for you - https://www.bikechaser.com.au/blog/spec ... omparison/

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 am

I've done over 30,000kms on my domane. I've ridden the Roubaix a few times. No way in hell would i buy a Roubaix. I bought my domane second hand so no warranty. With warranty on the domane, you'd be fine

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:10 am

Ross wrote:Here's a review comparing the Roubaix with the Diverge that might be interesting for you - https://www.bikechaser.com.au/blog/spec ... omparison/
Thanks for the link. Very informative. Pretty much decided on the Roubaix, now to decide between the Sport at $2,610 and the Elite at approximately $3,420.

The key differences appear to be:

[1] The carbon;
[2] The wheels. I cannot find out much at all on the DT Swiss DT R470 Disc rims. If anyone knows if they are tubeless ready that would be handy.
[3] Hydraulic brakes. The Elite has Shimano RS505 disc brakes
[4] Bottom bracket is the Shimano RS510.

Value in the extra $800?

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 pm

I have a Defy and one thing is that the Defy is no slouch. I have completed my first Sportive in March and loved it. Faster than some other bikes and apart from the rear triangle, very similar dimensions to the TCR (touted as a race bike)

Personally, out of the bikes you look at the Defy would keep you interested the longest as it can be made to be quite a fast bike, and comfortable at the same time

TheReality

Postby TheReality » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I just bought my first road bike yesterday so my opinion may not count for much. But, I just went though the same thing but looked at Giant Defy Advanced 2, Canondale Synapse 105 Disc and Trek Domane S 5 Disc. I found the Synapse and Domane nicest to ride, on par almost.

My key focus was comfort, I am not a racer, have a bad back and completely inflexible!

I ended up with a 2017 Domane SL 5 for $3200, a deal I could not pass up. It’s the 500 carbon frame with 105 group set (all I wanted in my first bike), disc brakes and carbon wheels. The wheelset set it off for me, probably something I would not consider buying as an upgrade but at the price point could not say no.

There may still be other good deals on last year models. I know my local has the Ultegra version of mine for $3900 as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Personally, out of the bikes you look at the Defy would keep you interested the longest as it can be made to be quite a fast bike, and comfortable at the same time
I have a Defy, albeit an aluminium one and a older model with Sora drivetrain basically. It is my e-bike conversion. Actually dragged it out and rode it today and was reminded that whilst it ain't the smoothest ride it was not too bad.

I also need to keep in mind my last roadie and the bike I did lots of audax miles on was a Look 555. It was fine.

It has me swinging back towards the Defy Advanced to be honest. I will try and get a test ride in later in the week. Nearest Roubaix to test ride is a good hours drive away. Feel guilty about riding the blokes bike when I wouldn't by there anyway so not sure what I will do about that.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 pm

TheReality wrote:I ended up with a 2017 Domane SL 5 for $3200, a deal I could not pass up. It’s the 500 carbon frame with 105 group set (all I wanted in my first bike), disc brakes and carbon wheels. The wheelset set it off for me, probably something I would not consider buying as an upgrade but at the price point could not say no.
Thanks for your input. I really should see if there a Trek locally to have a quick ride on.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Decision made. Should have tomorrow a 2018 Giant Defy Advanced 2. It rides okay, it is from my preferred bike shop which is fairly local and the price is okay at $2,400. Given the amount of usage it will get this is right in my price range.

They are also switching over the rear tyre for me to a 28mm Schwalbe at no extra cost.

I just need to learn to live with the colour and oh work out who makes the brakes so I don't have to pay Giant's prices for the pads :)

It is differently more green than their images suggest ...

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is differently more green than their images suggest ...
It is very green! When I cracked my 2017 advanced 2 frame I was concerned they'd replace it with the 2018, I ended up with a 2017 advanced 1 frame instead though.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:09 pm

How on earth could it be MORE green than the images suggest? :D

I love a bit of colour on bikes though. All black belongs on stealth bombers, not bikes :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am

Aushiker wrote: I just need to learn to live with the colour and oh work out who makes the brakes so I don't have to pay Giant's prices for the pads :)
The brakes to the best of my judgement are made by Tektro/TRP. The most readily available compatible pads are Shimano B01S, used in many of their brakes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.