Moron Motorists #3

jasonc

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 pm

silentC wrote:
jasonc wrote:Send him a picture with the Lane width asking him where we wants you to sit. Suggest he use Ms paint. He may need instructions. Keep him going. He might learn something
My next move will be to go down there late and run a tape from the centre line to the solid bit (the edge of the road surface is very uneven, full of potholes and not safe to ride on). Then I'll give him the relevant measurements of the bike, his vehicle and the 1 metre clearance and ask him what maths he can work up to demonstrate there was room for him to pass.
get the measurements anyway. may be important down the line

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Canberra roundabout (Anzac parade x Parkes way)

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Ross wrote:Canberra roundabout (Anzac parade x Parkes way)

You have to watch out for those roundabout lanscape feature ponds .... they jump out at you from nowhere
Go!Run!GAH!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:06 pm

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/1 ... miers-wife

Anybody know the spot?

There is a huge hole in the story - says the cyclist totally tbones them in the side ... and the windscreen is crushed in and the cyclist is practically in the cabin with them...

BJL

Postby BJL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Lots of holes in this story. I don't know the area off the top of my head but I have ridden (and driven) through here on numerous occasions over the years and the only bike path in that area would be along the Nepean Highway. Either the on road bike lane or there 'may' be an off road bike (or shared) path. I know ther's an off road shared path further along at Rosebud but I can't be sure at Blairgowie. In any case, it's a very flat straight section of road.

At first, they made out like they were driving along when a cyclist suddenly came out of nowhere and 'ploughs' into the side of the vehicle. 'T-boned' a being the description used. But somehow ends up in the windscreen.

Then we find out that they had made a right hand turn:

"We then turn right, and only moments after we have made that right hand turn, we are probably in the process of straightening up still making the turn. There's a bike track that runs parallel to the road we had turned off, and it's pretty well hidden by teatree.

So which is it? Moments AFTER they made the right hand turn or IN THE PROCESS of making the turn? Make up your mind.

Sounds like to me they turned and failed to give way to a cyclist crossing the road they were turning onto. And as EVERY motorist knows, it's the motorist who should give way in this situation.

Then he says:

"The next thing we know, one of the most sickening, awful things I have ever experienced, happens. A young man on a bike ploughs into the side of the car. If he'd been driving a car and not riding a bike, you would accurately describe it as he t-boned our car. He hits the side of the car."

'ACCURATELY' - I'd take a T-bone collision to mean around the door region. Let's say centered around the 'B' pillar region. The shape of a 'T'. This would not result in a cyclist ending up in the windscreen. So it's either a front on collision or front quarter panel collision. But not a 'T-bone' collision as he 'accurately' claims. Another probable false statement.

But aside from all this, there's a couple of questions here that need to be raised:

1 - Why wasn't this questioned earlier?
2 - Initial reports said this occurred in a government vehicle. Why was a government vehicle been used for a 'holiday' ? Not a lot different from dogs being ferried around in my book. Is he paid so poorly that he can't afford his own car and the associated running costs?

Edit -

3 - Can VicPol release to the public a list of motor vehicle collisions over let's say, the last 30 years where police officers have 'mucked up' and failed to take blood alcohol level readings of all involved drivers? Or is it just shear coincidence that this is the ONLY incident where this has occurred? I'm sure police officers are pretty busy at most motor vehicle collisions.

Maybe Andrews can claim diplomatic immunity or something. :roll:

uart

Postby uart » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:48 am

InTheWoods wrote:http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/1 ... miers-wife

Anybody know the spot?

There is a huge hole in the story - says the cyclist totally tbones them in the side ... and the windscreen is crushed in and the cyclist is practically in the cabin with them...
BJL wrote: Then we find out that they had made a right hand turn:

"We then turn right, and only moments after we have made that right hand turn, we are probably in the process of straightening up still making the turn. There's a bike track that runs parallel to the road we had turned off, and it's pretty well hidden by teatree.

So which is it? Moments AFTER they made the right hand turn or IN THE PROCESS of making the turn? Make up your mind.

Sounds like to me they turned and failed to give way to a cyclist crossing the road they were turning onto. And as EVERY motorist knows, it's the motorist who should give way in this situation.
I wouldn't necessarily assume that it was the motorists fault without seeing the actual spot and how it unfolded. There is a somewhat off-road trail that runs along the SW side of Melbourne Rd there, this could well have been the "track" that he was referring to.

Take for example turning right (from Melb rd) into Kirwood St here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-38.367 ... 312!8i6656

Given that is a very light traffic local access road, what 15 y.o boy wouldn't fly across there without looking? I'd say every day of the week and at least twice on Sundays. Boy traveling about 25 km/h, car about the same speed, collision from the front right (or perhaps left) corner of the car, I can see how it could have unfolded something like that.

The only real issue is why she wasn't breath tested. I suspect it was a combination of 1. that the police didn't see her at all at fault, and 2. because of who she was, that they didn't bother with a breath test. That was a mistake.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm

BJL wrote:
But aside from all this, there's a couple of questions here that need to be raised:

1 - Why wasn't this questioned earlier?
2 - Initial reports said this occurred in a government vehicle. Why was a government vehicle been used for a 'holiday' ? Not a lot different from dogs being ferried around in my book. Is he paid so poorly that he can't afford his own car and the associated running costs?

Edit -

3 - Can VicPol release to the public a list of motor vehicle collisions over let's say, the last 30 years where police officers have 'mucked up' and failed to take blood alcohol level readings of all involved drivers? Or is it just shear coincidence that this is the ONLY incident where this has occurred? I'm sure police officers are pretty busy at most motor vehicle collisions.

Maybe Andrews can claim diplomatic immunity or something. :roll:
To be fair he is the Premier so I think he is entitled to a govt car to cruise around in 24/7 . Many other public servants of a lower level have similiar benefits.

Re diplomatic immunity - I hope not but don't give him any ideas...

malnar

Postby malnar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Commissioner said yesterday that one thought the other had done it. Andrews said yesterday he wishes they had done it as it would have been zero. I think he said it was 10am, they'd been visiting the beach, the kids were in the car & drinking in such circumstances is not their practice.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 pm

malnar wrote:Commissioner said yesterday that one thought the other had done it. Andrews said yesterday he wishes they had done it as it would have been zero. I think he said it was 10am, they'd been visiting the beach, the kids were in the car & drinking in such circumstances is not their practice.
How much did the driver drink the night before? She could well have been over the limit. Moreover, has it been confirmed that Andrews' wife was driving?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Cars turning across an adjacent bike path are so common that one has to be totally on the ball. If you get hit by a car you can end up with life long injuries or worse and who's at fault isn't going to cure those injuries.

Regardless of who's at fault, it would be good to see the road safety experts review the scenario and apply that learning to reducing the risk of repeat occurrences
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm

UAT's link shows the footpath which runs along the land side of Point Nepean Rd. The Bay Trail runs along the beach side, and is a shared path, heavily used Oct-June. If she's cut across him there, no contest she's at fault. Bay Trail has priority every entrance I've seen. That spots only 5 klicks away from me....I may mosey down for a ride and have a look.

Edit...just read it again. She was on Melbourne Rd turning south. There's a lot of driveway access roads along there as the houses are set back a fair bit. Delineated footpath on the North side. Have to be careful all along there, specially in Summer. I won't ride after 10.00am

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Take for example turning right (from Melb rd) into Kirwood St here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-38.367 ... 312!8i6656
a contemporary report (2013) quotes a resident running from his Ridley St home on hearing the noise of the collision

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:44 pm

This morning I had a bus block the bike path in the middle of Dandenong. The driver could easily have slid back wards as there was no one behind him.
Nope its just a bike hey! Often a car will be beside a rider here but I checked the mirrors and went around.

I wonder if a school kid would have the presents of mind to do that though.

ImageBus in bike lane. by Paul Klat, on Flickr
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 pm

uart

Postby uart » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:55 pm

It's better to post a google search link to paywalled stuff, at least if you want anyone else to be able to view it. :)
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gold ... gold-coast

uart

Postby uart » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:02 pm

antigee wrote:
a contemporary report (2013) quotes a resident running from his Ridley St home on hearing the noise of the collision
Thanks antigee. That's the same trail that I suspected, but just a few hundred metres down the road. So almost certainly the following google map link is where it happened.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-38.372 ... 312!8i6656

battler2

Postby battler2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 pm

wow just wow. i can't see a cycle lane anywhere where and when he is telling them to get in it.

GC bulletin still maintains the same rep i see.

then i voted, and of course, the poll results show a 3:1 ratio of people blaming the riders.

is australia (or GC only?) really full of people this stupid?

god help us if we have a plebiscite to bar us from the roads. it will probably pass.

as has been said before, we are the muslims of the fitness world.

(and this is also why i just don't do group rides. i miss out on that part of riding for my own safety)

uart

Postby uart » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 pm

battler2 wrote:wow just wow. i can't see a cycle lane anywhere where and when he is telling them to get in it.
There is a cycle lane on the right hand side of the road, but it ends about one block after that guy first encounters the cyclists. Certainly the cycle lane has ended (for cyclist in that direction) by the time he starts swearing at them to get into the cycle lane.

Also ironic is that if you look near the end of the video there is another car about 100 metres in front of them both, so the car has really no where to go even if he does pass them.

I calculate that the guy was delayed by about 0 to 4 seconds at most, yet the majority of commenters there feel that his outrage was fully justify. Frickin' unbelievable! :roll:

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:50 am

It was a 'news' article so ridiculous I thought it was satire. Their other article 'Woman pees in men's urinal at football' had far more integrity.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 pm

The 30 painted on the road in large characters at several points.
The fact that there was no cycle lane and he has been abusive and driven aggressively.
The rocket scientist submits it to newscorp and garners broad support.
He has provided enough evidence for several traffic offences surely.
No charges will eventuate :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:48 pm

uart wrote:
antigee wrote:
Thanks antigee. That's the same trail that I suspected, but just a few hundred metres down the road. So almost certainly the following google map link is where it happened.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-38.372 ... 312!8i6656
It makes more sense now. Very limited visibility there. I still have doubts about the premier's version of events though. Right or wrong, anytime a motorist uses terms such as 'he came out of nowhere', 'he was flying along' and 'ploughed into the car', it's often exaggerations to cover the real story. Maybe I spend too much time on here. :?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:56 pm

BJL wrote:
It makes more sense now. Very limited visibility there. I still have doubts about the premier's version of events though. Right or wrong, anytime a motorist uses terms such as 'he came out of nowhere', 'he was flying along' and 'ploughed into the car', it's often exaggerations to cover the real story. Maybe I spend too much time on here. :?
Yes. Until there is evidence to the contrary it looks like the wife of the then opposition leader was not at fault.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 pm

It seems that this motorists 30kph is considerably faster than the 30kph that the cyclists were traveling at
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 am

Had another of these impatient twats again yesterday. This time there were a few of us. Waiting at lights to turn left, lights change, start to move off, suddenly we have a moron in BMW panel van sitting on our tail blasting his horn. He blows it again then swings out into the right turn lane and overtakes with engine revving, only to be stuck behind another car. So we follow him over the bridge and to the local surf beach car park (he was in a hurry to check the surf apparently). A discussion ensues which terminates with him walking off telling us to 'go have sex somewhere, you all look like p***s in those shorts, why do you ride around around in groups, can't you do anything on your own etc etc".
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm

That would be the former NSW Roads Minister - not Drunken Gay regretably, but one of his predecessors Michael Daley. For me the really scary part is that he claims to have been completely oblivious to the road work & speed signs. Well that and the fact that he claims not to have known the law he was responsible for - automatic suspensions were introduced in 2002, well before he was roads minister in 2008 & police minister 2009-2011.