M7 Safety Alert Thread

WestlinkM7

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Mountain_Wanderer wrote:Don't understand why the M7 website can't just add closure info on its news page
Hi Mountain_Wanderer

The new Roam/Westlink M7 Website was launched in early-October last year. As part of the new website development project, we made a decision to no longer post news about when the gates at Prestons would be open or closed on the website. I am sorry for any inconvenience this decision has caused. However we still maintain the M7 shared path email alerts, and these messages are sent directly to subscribers. I hope this makes sense, and thank you for your understanding.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

https://www.roam.com.au/using-westlink-m7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:
WestlinkM7 wrote:
westab wrote:Friends just a reminder about the shared path - it is that "a shared path" and note that with the weather warming up and the afternoons getting lighter there are growing numbers of pedestrians & cyclists; so please take care.

Yesterday I was approaching a pedestrian who was keeping right and walking toward me. She seemed like a very courteous person who didn't wish to get in my way so she started to move left without realising that there was a cyclist approaching at speed from behind. I slowed, the other cyclist swerved and missed her (closer than I think he needed to be) and gave an angry comment. There was really no need for the comment and whilst I wouldn't have been pleased to have to change direction either it wasn't malicious. Everyone was OK and we all went on our way.

My point is please take care out there as the path use is increasing - we need to consider other path users (even if they don't behave as we would like) so that we can all enjoy its use safely.

Ps. Please don't get me started (start rant) on those people who are leaving "gel" wrappers about - I'm hoping that the number I also saw yesterday just might have fallen out of many a jersey pocket by accident :roll: :roll: (end rant)
thanks, westab
:)
We need to all keep left, simple as that (especially on the bridges and those narrow sections).

Unless you are overtaking someone, please keep left. That should apply for all. The path has pretty clear signage everywhere and markings in various places that indicate the correct side to stay on. That's better for everyone and gets around those situations like you've described.
thanks g-boaf, great advice 8)

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Have a great ride over the weekend, everyone. Stay safe out there and enjoy the warm conditions.

woohoo

Postby woohoo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Gboaf,We need to all keep left, simple as that (especially on the bridges and those narrow sections).

Unless you are overtaking someone, please keep left. That should apply for all. The path has pretty clear signage everywhere and markings in various places that indicate the correct side to stay on. That's better for everyone and gets around those situations like you've described.
I find the section near the great Western Highway presents challenges. The Underpass there has had a few collisions in the past. One in particular nearly took down Eddy Salas's Bunch.!!! :shock: :shock:

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:06 am

Anyone know whose hair brain idea is was to lock the floodgate (Prestons end) yesterday? Clearly there's been no rain about and rode through Saturday and was open.

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Tree Removal and Drainage work on M7 shared path, 9 - 13 October, 2017

Hi all,

We will have crews working on the M7 shared path next week, starting Monday 9 October to Friday 13 October, 2017.

In addition to mobile tree removal works being carried out from Middleton Grange to Kings Park, there will be a crew doing drainage and storm water pipe installation (trenching and excavation work) at Quakers Hill near the Wastewater treatment plant. Due to the type of machinery and changes to ground conditions, traffic controllers will be on site to direct shared path users safely around the work area.

There will be signs and work vehicles out. When travelling in this area, you may be stopped and asked to dismount from bikes, for safety reasons. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however your safety is our priority.

Email alerts have been sent out about this work. I hope you have received them. Please take care when riding. Our crews will be working from 7am to 5pm.

thanks
kind regards,
Tracey, WestlinkM7

westab

Postby westab » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am

Last night (and the same time for the last 3 weeks on Tuesday) at about 9:15pm just south of Richmond road I had a rider heading south (I was heading north) on what appeared to be a nice black road bike with matching team kit with no lights on front or rear - he was invisible so please keep an eye out for him.

If this rider happens to be reading this please either turn your lights on or put some on your bike then turn them on.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

WestlinkM7

Postby WestlinkM7 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm

The annual Westlink M7 Share the Path community event is on Saturday 11 November, 2017 from 8am to 10am. We will have free sausage sizzle, coffee, give-aways, bike tune-up and safety checks, along with tours of the M7 control room. An email alert has been sent out to everyone today. Come and meet the M7 team. Save the date. I hope to see you there.

kind regards
Tracey, WestlinkM7

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Jawa wrote:Anyone know whose hair brain idea is was to lock the floodgate (Prestons end) yesterday? Clearly there's been no rain about and rode through Saturday and was open.
Ventured out west for my maiden ride on the famed M7 cycleway yesterday from Prestons and encountered a locked gate no more than a few hundred metres into the ride (likely the same gate). Followed the signs for the detour and must say I'd prefer to take my chances on whatever the cycleway hazards are because crossing roundabouts with semi-trailers isn't my idea of safe.

In fact on the way back we tried to navigate the alternate detour but only encountered another locked gate. Rather than backtracking in heavy vehicle traffic we chose to use the path regardless and, not surprisingly from what I've read previously in this thread, the path was in perfect condition. To be fair, whatever hazard was deemed too dangerous may have been further along the closed section, but I have to wonder what is considered more hazardous than the traffic on the signposted detours?

That aside, I'm impressed and grateful for this piece of cycling infrastructure. We only managed Rooty Hill and back (50km) due to time constraints, but I'd like to tackle the entire 80km return trip in the not-too-distant future - just for the fun of it. The constant undulations and the wind made for a decent challenge; it was a good hit-out for the Sydney to Gong Sunday week - a ride I've never done before either.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 am

I thought about going there for a ride on Monday 23 Oct , but thought better of it and went and did 20 laps around Centennial Park instead. Centennial Park , always open.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:48 am

tcdev wrote:
Jawa wrote:Anyone know whose hair brain idea is was to lock the floodgate (Prestons end) yesterday? Clearly there's been no rain about and rode through Saturday and was open.
Ventured out west for my maiden ride on the famed M7 cycleway yesterday from Prestons and encountered a locked gate no more than a few hundred metres into the ride (likely the same gate). Followed the signs for the detour and must say I'd prefer to take my chances on whatever the cycleway hazards are because crossing roundabouts with semi-trailers isn't my idea of safe.

In fact on the way back we tried to navigate the alternate detour but only encountered another locked gate. Rather than backtracking in heavy vehicle traffic we chose to use the path regardless and, not surprisingly from what I've read previously in this thread, the path was in perfect condition. To be fair, whatever hazard was deemed too dangerous may have been further along the closed section, but I have to wonder what is considered more hazardous than the traffic on the signposted detours?

That aside, I'm impressed and grateful for this piece of cycling infrastructure. We only managed Rooty Hill and back (50km) due to time constraints, but I'd like to tackle the entire 80km return trip in the not-too-distant future - just for the fun of it. The constant undulations and the wind made for a decent challenge; it was a good hit-out for the Sydney to Gong Sunday week - a ride I've never done before either.
I received an email from Westlink M7 last Friday morning saying the path was closed at Prestons due to flooding. However, there was never an email to say it had re-opened but just another email this morning saying it had closed due to flooding. Odd.

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:45 pm

biker jk wrote:
tcdev wrote:

I received an email from Westlink M7 last Friday morning saying the path was closed at Prestons due to flooding. However, there was never an email to say it had re-opened but just another email this morning saying it had closed due to flooding. Odd.

Same here.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Planning to go out there tomorrow, if I start from the southern end, how far can I go before the locked gate?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:26 pm

peter wrote:Planning to go out there tomorrow, if I start from the southern end, how far can I go before the locked gate?
A few kilometres. You will need to take the diversion.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Ok, just read the few posts above, Prestons is no go, where is the next entry point to maximise the ride? Want to do a fair distance before the Gong ride next week.

How’s the diversion? Is it clearly marked and easy to navigate?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:41 pm

peter wrote:Ok, just read the few posts above, Prestons is no go, where is the next entry point to maximise the ride? Want to do a fair distance before the Gong ride next week.

How’s the diversion? Is it clearly marked and easy to navigate?
The West Hoxton entry (no. 53 in the map) is an option.

]https://www.roam.com.au/content/dam/roa ... edPath.pdf

peter

Postby peter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for that information.

I have just checked the maps, is the diversion to exit at Kurrajong Road, take Bernera Road, and then re-enter at Jedda Road? If so, doesn’t look too bad and will give it a go.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 pm

peter wrote:Thanks for that information.

I have just checked the maps, is the diversion to exit at Kurrajong Road, take Bernera Road, and then re-enter at Jedda Road? If so, doesn’t look too bad and will give it a go.
Yes that's the diversion. There are two multi lane roundabouts with trucks entering/exiting the M7 so you need to be careful. When you enter the second roundabout continue on Bernera and the path entrance will be on the left.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Thank you again for the tip. Hopefully traffic will be quiet tomorrow morning.

So there’s no more diversions, can go all the way to the northern end?

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Yes, you're good all the way to the end at Old Windsor Rd. Thats the only diversion. Saturday morning tradies/trucks can be in a rush too.

When you get to the northern end, turn right and keep going southeast on Old Windsor and turn around at Parra Park to add some more hills and distance to your M7 ride. Enjoy!

peter

Postby peter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Went up there this morning, noticed that can you just walk around the gate, but I took the diversion.

On the way back found the other gate also has a gap, so just continued on the cycleway.

Saw many walkers and cyclists in between the gates, so it's well known that the gates are just for show. :D

The area of flooding only has a small pool of water.

Last edited by peter on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:58 pm

^^ Blank google image and might be on private setting.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm

peter wrote:On the way back found the other gate also has a gap, so just continued on the cycleway.
Hmm, we contemplated using the path from the Prestons end of the closure, but couldn't see (an easy) way through/around the gates. Must have missed it.

The northern end you could simply walk around, as you said. We attempted to use one of the suggested detours but somehow ended up back at the path within the closed section, so we hiked our bikes over the fence and climbed it.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Unless that puddle is teeming with sharks, how is this deemed more hazardous than crossing a roundabout with semi-trailers???
2021 Giant Contend AR1

peter

Postby peter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm

South gate (they want you to divert to Kurrajong Road), the path around the gate is pretty obvious.

Last edited by peter on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.