Oxford to begin a zero emission zone in as little as three years time!

uart

Oxford to begin a zero emission zone in as little as three years time!

Postby uart » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:32 pm

I've seen quite a few news stories lately about various countries eventually phasing out internal combustion engine cars, but this latest one looks to be starting sooner than I expected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-29/e ... ne/9085092

The city of Oxford (UK) is setting up a zero emission zone that will begin phasing out all petrol and diesel cars and trucks and taxis, starting as soon as 2020! It's still a longer term plan to phase them out, but the start date does seem surprising near.

koshari

Re: Oxford to begin a zero emission zone in as little as three years time!

Postby koshari » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 pm

uart wrote:I've seen quite a few news stories lately about various countries eventually phasing out internal combustion engine cars, but this latest one looks to be starting sooner than I expected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-29/e ... ne/9085092

The city of Oxford (UK) is setting up a zero emission zone that will begin phasing out all petrol and diesel cars and trucks and taxis, starting as soon as 2020! It's still a longer term plan to phase them out, but the start date does seem surprising near.
having visited Oxford earlier this year a couple of things really going in Oxfords favour would be how flat it is and that its pretty much 80% frequented by tourists/students.

other than the few locals cars in the center of town the rest of the traffic consists of buses and commercial trucks.

all visitors have to park out of town at one of the many park and ride places, my observation was that given everyone parks at the park and rides it still takes ages for the buses to get from the park and ride and back into the center,

i think they have a fair bit of work to do yet however its amazing what a bit of creative carbon accounting can do.

Leaf T

Re: Oxford to begin a zero emission zone in as little as three years time!

Postby Leaf T » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 am

I was surprised after moving from an Australian city to an English city by how small a "city" can be. I lived in Oxford for a couple of years about 13 years ago. The traffic back then was bad but most of the big shops for practical and everyday stuff eg Tesco etc, were just out of the town itself. If we went to the centre for any reason (great pubs and covered market) we either cycled or walked. As do many of the locals. Cycling is a popular ordinary mode of transport in Oxford and you have to be desperate to take a car into the centre.

Anyway, It's a positive step even if it is only a small area.