Looking for a steel frame commuter for around $1000

familyguy

Re: Looking for a steel frame commuter for around $1000

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:22 pm

This is a good route to take. You can build something with compromises where you want them, not where the buyers for the companies want them.

catcat12

Postby catcat12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:31 pm

any tips for where to find good second hand frames?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 pm

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 pm

redsonic wrote:Have you considered a Jamis Coda?
At $1300, a bit over budget, but you get carbon forks and hydraulic disc brakes.

Oops sorry, I just realised you are looking at drop bar bikes :oops:
Jamis Aurora drop bar touring

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Oooh, I had a thought. Also look at the Linus range - e.g. Libertine

Double butted CroMo with North Road bars rather than drop bars (could be changed) but a very sensible commuter. Don't know how fat a set of tyres you could fit. Full fenders (but steel rather than alloy) however should be available on special in the price range. A bit heavier than some but if you've no hills you'll never never know. (swap a few components and you could take a few kg out but may blow the budget)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Thoglette wrote:Oooh, I had a thought. Also look at the Linus range - e.g. Libertine

Double butted CroMo with North Road bars rather than drop bars (could be changed) but a very sensible commuter. Don't know how fat a set of tyres you could fit. Full fenders (but steel rather than alloy) however should be available on special in the price range. A bit heavier than some but if you've no hills you'll never never know. (swap a few components and you could take a few kg out but may blow the budget)
still looks a bit limited on the tire clearance,

you could keep a lookout for an older giant cyprus or innova , both crmo with generous clearance and very nice rides, only caveats are 1" steerer and obvouisely no disc brake option ( but it does take mini Vees which are still very good and work with drops.)

example here and forgive the straight up stem!!!
https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Sports-A ... ber=H9GFPJ

alternatively i got a largish steel frame with very good clearances you can HAVE for free, i dont know what it is but it looks very similar to our innova, it dont have any forks and had been paint-bombed pink!

alternatively this screams value,

with hydraulic disc brakes!!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy ... 1158598059

catcat12

Postby catcat12 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey I'm 170cm so don't know if a big frame would fit me!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:47 pm

A mate runs 2 of the Malvern Star Oppy steel bikes.

He loves them and has one fitted with 42mm tyres. He picked up the 2nd one on Gumtree for $600 with hydraulic disc brakes.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Mugglechops wrote:A mate runs 2 of the Malvern Star Oppy steel bikes.

He loves them and has one fitted with 42mm tyres. He picked up the 2nd one on Gumtree for $600 with hydraulic disc brakes.
Is that one of the heritage bikes?

The S1 does seem to fit the bill, even if it looks like P-clips might be needed to attach mudguards. This bloke managed to do so (not a member so I can't see the images)

Edit: bike radar review states front-and-back eyelets, picture shows two at the rear. Yay!
Last edited by Thoglette on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Convince this guy to ship from Vic, replace rear wheel, sub-$1000, winning...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/thornbu ... 1163617206

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:A mate runs 2 of the Malvern Star Oppy steel bikes.

Is that one of the heritage bikes?

The S1 does seem to fit the bill, even if it looks like P-clips might be needed to attach mudguards. This bloke managed to do so (not a member so I can't see the images)

Edit: bike radar review states front-and-back eyelets, picture shows two at the rear. Yay!
Yes he has the S2. Another guy I know has an S1 but with full dura ace on it.

catcat12

Postby catcat12 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:25 pm

hey I rode the s1 and actually found it to be pretty heavy! I'm taking a look at this one on the weekend, which I think is relatively light! https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswi ... 1164041837

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:27 pm

catcat12 wrote:hey I rode the s1 and actually found it to be pretty heavy! I'm taking a look at this one on the weekend, which I think is relatively light! https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brunswi ... 1164041837
The Kona may not be much lighter than the Oppy, and I think $700 is a fairly ambitious price for a 4yo Sora/Tiagra bike that would have sold for approx $1000 when new. That's just my opinion, and hard to pick a bikes condition from just pix.

Other issue is the amount of seat post evident, and if a 170cm person needs that much post, would guess that the frame is too small. But again, try it for yourself.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 pm

Spending $1000 on a steel bike (complete) doesn't make sense. Go have a fumble through Gumtree and have a look for a Giant or a Cannondale from the 1990s with brifters already. Avoid downtube shifters most of these bikes are too old anyway. Spend the rest of the money on upgrading the groupset, rear cogs, bottom bracket, seatpost, so on and so forth.

There is no reason at all to spend $1000 on a steel frame new really except for two things (threadless vs quill stems and standard size components). You can still get components such as quill stems, seat tubes and bars in any size, you just have to be a bit smart about it. You might not even need a new quill, but getting a modern seatpost such as a Thomson Elite for not much more than $100 will give you many more options in terms of getting your fitment right. On the other hand a new bike will likely have a 27.2 seatpost, 31.8 bars, and 1 1/8 headset, but that's a double edged vice, you will also spend a lot more later when you do decide to upgrade parts with new ones.

You will get a much better deal by spending $200 on a frame and then $800 on modern components. My steel bike is a chromolly steel lugged Giant Kronos. I've been spending the rest of the money I have in my budget for new parts. It now rides like a new bike and I'm not one of those people with a $1000 steel bike with entry level Shimano components that clickity crack and feel like crap.

I've been a bit lucky in my case in getting a SRAM Rival/Apex groupset combination with DoubleTap shifters, but anything you get will be better than Shimano Sora entry level components. But, the difference between entry level groupsets and ones that are more expensive is all in making your ride experience more enjoyable, and trust me when you have a nice groupset it does make for a superior ride.

Think about it, you're spending $1000 on a technology that was perfected in the 1990s for a frame that you're going to throw out the majority of components on anyway once you get more serious about riding. This does not make sense to me. Especially when you consider unless you buy a European, or low volume American bike these days most of the bikes you will be looking at will have come out of the same factories in Taiwan that my Giant did anyway.

There is also the reality that old bikes with new components look absolutely tops and stand out among the sea of carbon bikes. You might think that you need theft insurance as a result though :shock:

G@v

Postby G@v » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:48 am

Genesis Croix de Fer Frameset (smallish sizes only). $462
https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/genes ... t-EV289585

$300 or so delivery cost to Australia though (from memory). Nice frame.

Jamis Renegade Expat $1600
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102828167

Carbon fork and steel frame. Although the seatstay mounted rear disc brake may limit your choice of pannier racks.

Wayward Bikes (Australian brand).
Framesets $700 or $940. Complete bikes $1400 to $1789.
https://www.waywardbicycle.com/collections/all

Brown Jersey Islington $1685. (Another Aus brand).
http://www.brownjersey.com.au/shop/products/show/id/266

Specialized Awol $1800. Getting more expensive, sorry!
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/touri ... /103123906

I agree with an earlier poster that a Fuji Touring bike would make a nice steel commuter.