Cycling jersey for big boys

Biigmac

Cycling jersey for big boys

Postby Biigmac » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi All,

I recently got more serious into road cycling and enjoying it very much. Only thing is, I am on the bigger side and it is very hard to find a jersey that fits. I understand that it’s supoosed to be fitted. I recently put on some weight so my size 44 shirts more fitted. I usually wear a L or XL t-shirts.

I have no problems with wearing a size medium or large bibs. Most of them are size medium.

Wondering if anyone out there know a place where i can get some bigger sized jerseys. Preferably in store, but happy to go online providing they have had experience with them.

P.S apologies in advance if this topic has come up before.

Kind regards,

rodneycc

Re: Cycling jersey for big boys

Postby rodneycc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Check the sales at PBK and wiggle for the brand Primal wear. Great jerseys for big blokes
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm still well over 100kg and wear 3 and 4XL t-shirts (although I've lost weight and these are quite loose now). I've bought two jerseys recently. One was a Netti yellow short sleeve size XL from Aldi ($25), its a snug fit, these are on sale from time to time, you have to keep an eye out for them on the Aldi website.

The other is a long sleeve gunmetal grey XL Sugoi Hotshot, it is a tad looser, a bit warm for hot days but OK if you open the zipper a bit. It cost $16.49 plus postage (buy 2 and postage is free). This is the link on e-bay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sugoi-Hotsh ... 2749.l2649

You will pay a LOT more than this at local bikeshops but good on you if you are prepared to and can afford to support them.

Biigmac

Postby Biigmac » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:46 am

Thanks. I’ll check the out.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:17 am

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 am

seen this co recommended a few times https://fatladattheback.com/about/

breaks a rule for me on lack of contact details believe UK based and been around a while

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:06 am

antigee wrote:seen this co recommended a few times https://fatladattheback.com/about/

breaks a rule for me on lack of contact details believe UK based and been around a while
As I sit here wearing a Fat Lad at the Back jersey I can confirm they they are totally legit. I did buy mine through Evans online though and not directly.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

My problem is I'm tall and very skinny, so I either get a Large/XL and it's baggy, or a Medium and it looks like a crop top. Solution - buy the Large/XL for the length, and pay $15 to get the local tailor to fit it for me.

So if you are tall as well as broad, maybe buy for length and have it adjusted?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Mububban wrote: pay $15 to get the local tailor to fit it for me.
I've wondered about this. I've had "normal" clothes adjusted, but never cycling gear.

How did you go with this? Did you just go to the local clothing alteration place, or did you have to find somewhere special that can handle lycra?

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Mububban wrote:...and pay $15 to get the local tailor to fit it for me.
I wasn't aware it could be done for jerseys. Do you (or anyone else) know if it's possible to replace a zipper? My BNA Ultimate Monton jersey zipper broke off completely after only about a half dozen wears. Only a cheapie, but I liked it and even at that price, still expensive for 6 rides! :(
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm

RobertL wrote:
I've wondered about this. I've had "normal" clothes adjusted, but never cycling gear.

How did you go with this? Did you just go to the local clothing alteration place, or did you have to find somewhere special that can handle lycra?
I took it to the tailor at my local markets, $15 and the next day it's been tailored to my scrawny body.
He did the skeleton jersey that is my profile pic. If you look closely you can see it's unfitted in that photo. He pinned the arm holes and around the waist area to draw it in, then cut and overlocked it to shape. He didn't cut into the skeleton design front or back, and he didn't even impinge on the rear pockets so I'm pretty darn happy for $15 and will now get all future jerseys sized for proper length, then tailored to fit!

As soon as my R2-D2 jersey arrives it'll be going straight to him :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 pm

just a word of warning, the chinese sizes are about 2 sizes smaller than the australian sizes so check the measurement charts if you are buying without trying on
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:54 pm

RonK wrote:Prendas Cyclismo
I got a 6Xl jersey from them, and couldn't even get it on...

I find that Mavic stuff fits pretty large, I usually wear a XXL in those and they are roomy compared to other XXL jersys. Also Primal fit pretty large.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 pm

I’ve found that Le Coq tips run larger than most, and anything German can be up to 2 sizes “larger” in fit. Both my go tos in spring.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 am

mikesbytes wrote:just a word of warning, the chinese sizes are about 2 sizes smaller than the australian sizes so check the measurement charts if you are buying without trying on
Sizes mean nothing. Always use the measurements chart! And hope it's accurate....

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 am

tcdev wrote:
Mububban wrote:...and pay $15 to get the local tailor to fit it for me.
I wasn't aware it could be done for jerseys. Do you (or anyone else) know if it's possible to replace a zipper? My BNA Ultimate Monton jersey zipper broke off completely after only about a half dozen wears. Only a cheapie, but I liked it and even at that price, still expensive for 6 rides! :(
Yes, I've had quite a few short zips swapped for full length ones at my local tailor. Can't remember the exact cost, may of been around $15-$20.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Mububban wrote:
RobertL wrote:

I took it to the tailor at my local markets, $15 and the next day it's been tailored to my scrawny body.
He did the skeleton jersey that is my profile pic. If you look closely you can see it's unfitted in that photo. He pinned the arm holes and around the waist area to draw it in, then cut and overlocked it to shape. He didn't cut into the skeleton design front or back, and he didn't even impinge on the rear pockets so I'm pretty darn happy for $15 and will now get all future jerseys sized for proper length, then tailored to fit!

As soon as my R2-D2 jersey arrives it'll be going straight to him :D
Well done!

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 am

fat and old wrote:I’ve found that Le Coq tips run larger than most, and anything German can be up to 2 sizes “larger” in fit. Both my go tos in spring.
Really? I got a Le Coq XL and couldn't even close it. I'd call it an "M".
I got a Pearl Izumi Semi-Form Escape jersey in XL and it fits nicely with a bit of room. Hub and Netti XL also suits me.