Home baked bent

vic

Home baked bent

Postby vic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm

After months of welding (arc welder), planning, cursing, researching, stealing ideas (Thanks Leigh), I am proud to present my uss lwb bent.
Went for a maiden voyage today and was happy to discover it mostly works. The only real issue is the mesh seat. Breezeway mesh with eyelets, but it looks like it stretches and is starting to tear after 10 mins of riding. Nevertheless, I'm happy with it so far. Cheers.

Recycler

Good Work

Postby Recycler » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Howdy Vic, Great looking bike, just shows what can be done when you have a go. Stick with your welder!!!

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:43 pm

Looks good - a coat of paint and it will be flash as..... 8)

I would never trust my welding - I passed it at school but I never thought it was much good, and it was many years ago. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bottecchia 803 Flat bar roadie.

I'm not a complete idiot - parts of me are missing!

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Frame looks great...
Some good work there...
Seat look like...well... maybe have another go at that :)
Have fun on it

I just put a 700cc wheel on the back of mine and it kicked the speed by a suprising amount.... nothing like a long wheel base for comfort

Keep having fun...

vic

Postby vic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks all. Getting used to the steering and balancing, that's keeping me on my toes!

Ah the seat...I've actually got the mesh in my lap right now. Working out ways to anchor the mesh so that it doesn't slide back and or down. Have found that the eyelets need super duper reinforcing, otherwise they still rip slowly from the webbing and mesh. So back to the sewing machine. Mk 3 coming up.

Also, I'm a bit nervous about the cable steering. Currently have the cable running through redirecting brackets. (Ex derrailleur). Not happy with the friction, so will be installing some rolling pulleys.

Once it has all been run in, I'm thinking of a Cherry Red? Purple? Bright Yellow? Gotta make a statement, don't you think?

Quick question Leigh, what size sprocket did you use on your steering stem?

Any other teething problems for you? Back wheel is 700c. Using a Campy lightweight rim. It's great. Front is a 24 inch. Expect I will get a thin tyre for it at some stage.

Cheers.

Poiter

Seat

Postby Poiter » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:29 pm

G'day Vic,
If you have some more material for the seat, you could try the following.
Sew a seam/hem down both sides about 20mm in and open at each end.
Turn under and sew the loose edge.
So distance between both sides of mesh now distance between seat rails less 10mm.
Pass a length of used brake cable outer down the seam on both sides.
Grab a bag of 5mm plastic zip ties and use these to attach around the seat rails and through the seat mesh just inside the brake cable.
Dont punch holes in the mesh, just open it up enough with a small flat screw driver so the zip tie can pass through.
Lace the zip ties at about 25mm apart and thread them through from the back so that the cut pointy end sits flush with back of seat when cut.
Zip it up slowly getting both sides even and the mesh should be pretty tight.
Cut the ends of the zip ties and go ride it.
Slip a couple of extra zips down the tops of the seams for when one breaks down the track.
I used this method on my Lizards for many comfortable kilometres and many of the OZHPV Canberra Mob use this method.

You need some photos don't you? Ok here you go.

eucryphia

Re: Home baked bent

Postby eucryphia » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:41 pm

vic wrote: Image
Neat steering arms...

I'd love to know what the dog is thinking... 8)

vic

Postby vic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Poiter, thanks heaps for that! I bought 4 metres of the mesh, experience tells me to to double material estimates, and triple the time I think it might take to do something. Your bike is awesome. Did you make that????

Eucryphia, I happen to know that the dog's thought process goes something like this..."Food....walk....belly rub...." Repeat till infinity occurs.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:32 pm

vic wrote: I happen to know that the dog's thought process goes something like this..."Food....walk....belly rub...." Repeat till infinity occurs.
And in this photo he's thinking that this doesn't fit into the "Food....walk....belly rub...." routine at all....... :P
Andrew

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:46 pm

We used a tube for the stearing not a cable... it work very well and has stood the test of time.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:52 pm

I have changed the Handlebars.... to come back to a more relaxed position...
Apart from that and putting the 700 in the back [is 26 up front] it's as we built it.
Mind you...this was the 2nd atempt... the 1st was ok but this one is better and fixed the few probs the 1st one had [like a lot of flex under hard peddling]

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:00 pm

This was the first one

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Looks like a great effort Vic. I think you're going to enjoy that bike. It's amazing what you can do with a welder and persistence.

I second Poiter's suggestion on the seat. I did something similar but used soft aluminium rod. I'll try the cable outer next time.

I wonder about the cables for steering. I was about to suggest a rod system but Leigh beat me there. I have pushrod steering on my DeltaWolf and so far it feels very positive. Costs a couple of rod ends though.

John Lewis

vic

Postby vic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks Leigh and John. Yeh, the more I think about my reliance on the cable, and the consequence of it breaking....
I'm pretty sure I will set about scrapping the cable and sprocket and installing a pushrod. Will make for less anxiety on the ride.
Leigh, I notice the suspension on yours, how much effect does it provide?
I took mine over a bumpy grassed area and found that the long wheel base, the mesh, and tyre took up a fair amount of the shock.
Do you go off road?

william

Postby william » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:17 pm

Poiter,

I was curious about your rear wheel. Is that an actual disc wheel or a cover.
I was thinking of getting a wheel cover for my Corsa but don't know where to look or what they are called.

William.

william

Postby william » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:18 pm

The thing I must say is I admire you guys for having a go at building your own bikes. It would be a great learning experience.

William.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:47 am

vic wrote: Working out ways to anchor the mesh so that it doesn't slide back and or down. Have found that the eyelets need super duper reinforcing, otherwise they still rip slowly from the webbing and mesh.
A few pointers here, if you intend to make a 'Greenspeed' style of mesh seat. Don't get awning mesh from Bunnings or likewise hardware store, try an upholsterers as the mesh is better. Double-layer it when making, it will still have 'give' but not stretch and there is more material for the eyelets to hold to. Use eyelets that have spurs or teeth to grip the mesh, also better to buy your eyelets from an upholsterer. And have someone run a sewing machine around the mesh BEFORE you start putting in the eyelets. Have eyelets down the side and consider a couple at the base and top to use to secure the mesh, prevent sliding.

P.S I'd prefer rod and tie end for steering instead of chain and sprocket, although more of an art to set up correctly. Less weight and less agricultural.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 am

Front suspention dose nothing ... as the bike been long and the waight been back
But the back is the "best thing ever".... turns this bike into a Limo.... lush/plush ride that take out every bump
As for off road.... well I have and on bush roads it is good but this baby turns like the "Queen Mary" so single track is a no no
This is an open road Limo :D

vic

Postby vic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:52 am

Ok, thanks Leigh, I may consider that if I get to a Mk2.

just4tehhalibut: I bpught actual Breezeway mesh from a company in QLD. (love the internet). I thought I might have a go with Poiter's design, having had 2 go's with eyelets and btw, I sew, so I can save a favour from my wife.
So should I still double layer it?

What do you think Poiter?

vic

Postby vic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:19 am

william wrote:The thing I must say is I admire you guys for having a go at building your own bikes. It would be a great learning experience.

William.
Thanks William, all I can say is if you are interested, have a go. Lots of muttering under the breath occurs, but with the support from the members of this forum, there's no reason why you can't too.

I don't often monitor this site, so if I can be of any assistance to you, or to anyone else, with my limited experience, you are welcome to PM me.
Cheers.

Recycler

Pet Mesh

Postby Recycler » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 am

Howdy Vic, For the seat cover I use Pet Mesh, try your local security door firm or aluminium window shop. For the rod type steering make sure you have the bell crank and handle bar pivot distance the same. I will post some photos of of steering and seat covering soon.

vic

Re: Pet Mesh

Postby vic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:12 am

Recycler wrote:Howdy Vic, For the seat cover I use Pet Mesh, try your local security door firm or aluminium window shop. For the rod type steering make sure you have the bell crank and handle bar pivot distance the same. I will post some photos of of steering and seat covering soon.
I still have enough Breezeway mesh, so I'll persevere until that is used up. Thanks for the tip.
Still drawing the steering design in my head.
I'm off to Sydney for a couple of days, will look forward to your pictures, they are VERY welcome. Cheers, Vic :)

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:37 pm

vic wrote:Ok, thanks Leigh, I may consider that if I get to a Mk2.

just4tehhalibut: I bpught actual Breezeway mesh from a company in QLD. (love the internet). I thought I might have a go with Poiter's design, having had 2 go's with eyelets and btw, I sew, so I can save a favour from my wife.
So should I still double layer it?

What do you think Poiter?
Eyelets pull out.
That's why I adopted the brake cable/zip tie approach.
Plus when you wrap it over the seat frame it bunches up and the bungy cord under my butt used to create pressure points. (Greenspeed say they have never heard of this problem).
Single layer works fine for me.
It's double at the seams of course.

Thought you would have recognised the Red Lizard as you have ridden it.
Athol says "Hullo"