The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

outnabike

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:28 pm

fat and old wrote:[

I'm not excusing the idiot with the dog mind. If I had my way, poor bloke would have had a busted shoulder and ribs after t-boning the dog owner, not the dog.
I reckon your right. Makes you feel like sharing the pain. Except your instincts kick in.

I swore that the next time some fool opens the door on me, I am swinging into that fool rather than swing out onto the road..... Nope, I had my chance to cripple this bloke and before I could think about it, I steered away yelling some un-nice words.

I will try to do better next time......Its all to quick for me. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Almost me on the weekend ride...too busy discussing where the coffee stop was going to be to notice the white HIlux stopping right in front of us. Both myself and my buddy pulled up fine...but the rim braked buddy behind us...not so fine.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:48 pm

The owner of the dog is responsible for its actions and by allowing the dog to run freely in an area not allocated as lease free the owner has not exhibited duty of care.

If the cyclist was not exceeding the posted speed limit for this path then the cyclist is not breaking in regulations.

Does Victorian law about leaving the scene of an accident where injured people are present also include pedestrians?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Sully

Postby Sully » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm

If dog had to display rego plates there wouldn't be a problem here.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 am

mikesbytes wrote: If the cyclist was not exceeding the posted speed limit for this path then the cyclist is not breaking in regulations.
Are there speed limits on shared paths? I don't think there is one on ours, I'll have to check the sign next time.

It comes down to common sense I suppose. Same as driving on the road, the speed limit might be 100kph but you obviously don't just set your cruise control to 100 on a winding country lane and sit back for the ride. Or if you do and a cow wanders out in front of you, you leave yourself little chance of avoiding a collision. The farmer might be at fault for letting the cow wander onto the road (I think?) but simply from the point of view of protecting your own safety, it's smarter to anticipate such things. I have had this debate many times with motorists who grumble about encountering cyclists on blind corners and having to take evasive action.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 am

That's called not driving the conditions
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm

silentC wrote: .....common sense I suppose......

Wots that ?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 am

guess this falls under dumb pedestrian - an Australian on holiday maintaining standards:
Drunk tourist doesn’t recall attacking zombie bike rider, police say

OCTOBER 24, 2017 6:45 AM
An Australian tourist in Key West was jailed Sunday after police said she attacked a rider in the annual Zombie Bike Ride on Duval Street.....
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 30196.html

uart

Postby uart » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:24 pm

antigee wrote:
Drunk tourist doesn’t recall attacking zombie bike rider, police say

OCTOBER 24, 2017 6:45 AM
An Australian tourist in Key West was jailed Sunday after police said she attacked a rider in the annual Zombie Bike Ride on Duval Street.....
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 30196.html
And...
"Prue Harvey, 32, was arrested on felony battery since the alleged victim is 68 and Florida makes a battery on anyone age 65 and older a felony."

On felony charges in the US, so basically in deep sh%t. This is what happens when you come from a country where road rage, assault and harassment of cyclists is so routine that it's pretty much ignored by the law (or absolutely minimally punished). You go some place where that's not the case and suddenly find yourself in deep sh%t for doing something that's just part of the normal routine at home, you know, like hitting the booze Saudi Arabia.

Good to see! :)

BJL

Postby BJL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:50 am

Not sure what others around here do in left turn slip lanes but watching a cyclist turning left from Wellington Rd into Springvale (heading south) yesterday around 1:30pm, passing the inside of a small truck within the slip lane and coming up alongside the rear left of the ute in front before backing off and letting the ute go first, didn't look particularly safe to me.

:?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:18 am

Saw 3 cyclists in race kit yesterday morning (probably heading to a race) riding 3 abreast in a bike Lane. I didn't care as there was no traffic around. A pedestrian stopped and took a photo of the moment :roll:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Pretty common for me to be dodging three cyclists coming at me where I ride. I don't mind as most go to single file when they need too.
What annoys me is the single cyclist that can't seem to stay on their side of the track.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm

jasonc wrote:Saw 3 cyclists in race kit yesterday morning (probably heading to a race) riding 3 abreast in a bike Lane. I didn't care as there was no traffic around. A pedestrian stopped and took a photo of the moment :roll:
I can't see the problem if there's no traffic.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 pm

hamishm wrote:
jasonc wrote:Saw 3 cyclists in race kit yesterday morning (probably heading to a race) riding 3 abreast in a bike Lane. I didn't care as there was no traffic around. A pedestrian stopped and took a photo of the moment :roll:
I can't see the problem if there's no traffic.
I didn't suggest who was the dumb person...

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 pm

I saw about 150 cyclists completely blocking a traffic lane all the way through Brisbane city yesterday morning, riding in one long, loose peleton, all the way through the Valley, Breakfast Creek, and along Kingsford-Smith Drive and Nudgee Road to the crit track.

The cops didn't seem to mine, they were leading the way on motorbikes and blocking traffic at every junction so that we could roll through the red lights.

It was fantastic! :)

Oh, it was the community ride to raise awareness for the White Ribbon Day anti-domestic violence campaign.

I didn't actually see any dumb pedestrians or cyclists, but we had quite a few ask us what it was all about. So we told them.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:24 am

I'm riding on the road last night, doing about 40km/h.

Some guy is out late walking with his dog. The little dog wasn't on a leash and went charging out onto the road as I'm coming along - the thing tried to attack me. The idiot didn't give a damn about controlling his dog, he just laughed it off with a "he's alright". He's not alright, he very nearly went under my front wheel and caused me to do panic braking. Also caused traffic coming in both directions to have to stop and wait while this stupid dog is try to take pieces out of my leg. :evil:

Damn hell I wished I had some solid bit of pipe or a metal object to adequately defend myself. I had to use my bike to stop getting bitten.

I mean heck, I'm on the road, and I still have to face that BS? Put your dogs on a leash for heavens sake and stop being so damned inconsiderate. :evil: :evil: :evil:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 am

Miller St Ultimo last night old mate decides he is too important & rides around the mass of bikes stopped at the lights. Cuts back in & hits the rider at the front who goes down, but old mate rides on, doesn’t even look around to see if the bloke he hit was ok. Some people are prats.

Fortunately the rider wasn’t badly injured, just some bark off his left elbow
Anything you can do, I can do slower

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 am

g-boaf wrote:
Damn hell I wished I had some solid bit of pipe or a metal object to adequately defend myself. I had to use my bike to stop getting bitten.
I am a certified dog lover, but don't love being bitten. My old bike had a frame pump which proved very handy against a cattle dog one time. The owner was leading a horse along the road and had no control over the dog. The pump came out once it latched on to my calf.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 pm

find_bruce wrote:Miller St Ultimo last night old mate decides he is too important & rides around the mass of bikes stopped at the lights. Cuts back in & hits the rider at the front who goes down, but old mate rides on, doesn’t even look around to see if the bloke he hit was ok. Some people are prats.

Fortunately the rider wasn’t badly injured, just some bark off his left elbow
That is absolutely mind-boggling. How can anyone actually behave like that?

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Riding down Brunswick St today (https://goo.gl/maps/3rACEspAAAG2), Mr Fixie up ahead of me in the middle of the lane. No cars around, I'm sitting on 40. I ring bell twice and call out passing, as I get out the "pa" he veers right and then cuts back left. Yells at me for trying to pass as he was about to turn right.
I suggested that he learn to use his arms to indicate. I belatedly realised that I should have added a suggestion to do a head check before changing lanes.
While waiting at the lights up ahead, I realised that he had turned right so that he could ride up on the footpath and turn right.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

li2099

Postby li2099 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Typical day to work ride.
Peds ignoring bells.
https://vimeo.com/243277676

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:01 pm

li2099 wrote:Typical day to work ride.
Peds ignoring bells.
https://vimeo.com/243277676
Typical for me too. In that situation I usually slow behind them and cheerily call out something like "Hi folks, can I squeeze past?"
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Come to a round-a-bout this morning with a truck entering from the right. Myself and this other lad stop to give way when two guys rode through us and almost got collected by the truck.

Said trucky called them an F-wit and they responded by flipping off the trucky... Its idiots like these that gives the rest of us a bad name.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Riding along the river trail early this morning I see a gentleman in his 60s picking up cans & other rubbish left behind by teenagers who'd been swimming in the river the previous afternoon/night. I called out a thank you but should have invested 2 min to help him. I'm hoping the teens are there again this arvo. I'll give them what for.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:49 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Come to a round-a-bout this morning with a truck entering from the right. Myself and this other lad stop to give way when two guys rode through us and almost got collected by the truck.

Said trucky called them an F-wit and they responded by flipping off the trucky... Its idiots like these that gives the rest of us a bad name.
No, they don't give the rest of us a bad name: that's just out group syndrome. Any so-called collective responsibility for cyclists is only in the heads of those with an anti-cyclist prejudice. I don't see motorists behaving badly, then assume they give all other motorists a bad name, because as much as I get p#ssed off by dumb motorists, I know they're not all bad.