First power meter - guidance and feedback please

trailgumby

Re: First power meter - guidance and feedback please

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Just chiming on on Alex's point about power assymetry.

I have a leg length difference of about 5mm, and I am very right-side dominant. Right side is also the longer leg.

My R/L power split difference can be as much as 60/40 if I'm just idling along and not paying attention to form. However, when I am putting the hammer down on climbing intervals it is much closer to 50/50 sometimes even going 48/52.

I've just had a bike fit done with Aaron Dunford at Fairlight who did some Steve Hogg voodoo with magnets and muscle proprioception testing, and I now have some shims and wedges, especially under my left cleat. I've only done two rides since the fit and my pedalling certainly isn't any worse and I feel a whole lot more stable and planted on the bike despite the saddle being 6mm higher.

After seeing the comments above it will be interesting to check the stats on the Garmin and see what the average split was for yesterday's gravel grind in Yass and see if the shoe changes have made any difference.

Anyway, good luck with the journey Michael. I've just bought a copy of Coggan's book. I'd better go break the cellophane :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 am

For those with just natural curiosity about using power meters, I think my advice would be to just do what makes you feel happy - if you like numbers and data and learning about cycling performance and application of science etc, then it might actually be fun for you.

For other they probably couldn't think of anything less interesting - and that's fine - use the money instead on a bike holiday, somewhere really nice to ride, or on a nice upgrade, or get the bike really well serviced. Or a treat for the significant other(s) in your life. Whatever helps keep you out there and on a bike.

For those learning, don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you have a PM for the first time, my suggestion to start with is just to ride as you have been, learn how the unit works, learn how to make sure the data is correct (e.g. understand the checking/setting of a torque zero - it's not complicated - it's same principle as setting the zero on bathroom scale), record the data and build up a bit of power data history based on what you've normally been doing. Do this before jumping in to do performance tests or making wholesale changes to your riding. It's actually helpful to have an idea of what your normal routine looks like viewed through the lens of power data analytics.

Importantly, don't end up staring at it too much and cause an accident!

Then you need to answer the question: What changes to my cycling do I want to make and why?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks for the great advice TG and Alex. Especially the learn about what you are used to doing !

Anyway, my journey just hit a snag :evil: Was just advised by the mob that they don’t ship PM’s internationally any more, as if there are issues, too costly to resolve and not being able too easily test S/H PM’s easilybprior to shipping. So back to square 1 again, almost.

Bit of digging to do today, but best options seem to be single side P1 or Assimo Uno from a pedal front, or FSA Powerbox.
Will see what I can get a Spesh spider only for from the local guy too.

Standby to standby !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Well, stuck in a bit of a loop at the moment waiting for the Paypal refund to clear so I could buy the next one.

Have narrowed it down a bit more and seem to be leaning towards a crank based solution of either FSA Powerbox (Wiggle is best price at $784 - PBK is cheaper again, but only has 52/36 available), Quarq DZero Alloy (Merlin is best at $870) or Quarq DZero spider for my cranks (R2bike.de leads here at $832).

One outsider that didn't initially turn up was the Praxis Works Zayante + 4iii from Merlin at $652, but then requires the M30 to BB30 BB at an additional $84 making it a total of $736.

[sigh]

Got a bit excited for a while, so will sit back and take a deep breath and see what happens ..... :?

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Power2Max have a pretty good deal going atm. $700 for their $1,200 powermeter with your choice of Praxis chainrings thrown in normally ($270).

http://www.power2max.com.au/black-friday-sale-2017/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:25 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Power2Max have a pretty good deal going atm. $700 for their $1,200 powermeter with your choice of Praxis chainrings thrown in normally ($270).

Bugger, you got me all excited, but then when accessing, it's 130BCD only (all options at the $699 price) and I need a compact. :cry: :cry: :cry: Oh well, a bit of joy while it lasted ...

There is no contact phone number and had already submitted an email request and haven't rec'd a response yet :?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
andrewjcw wrote:Power2Max have a pretty good deal going atm. $700 for their $1,200 powermeter with your choice of Praxis chainrings thrown in normally ($270).

Bugger, you got me all excited, but then when accessing, it's 130BCD only (all options at the $699 price) and I need a compact. :cry: :cry: :cry: Oh well, a bit of joy while it lasted ...

There is no contact phone number and had already submitted an email request and haven't rec'd a response yet :?
There's a 50-34 option for chain rings (under Section 3: Add chain rings).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:44 pm

biker jk wrote:
The chainrings won't bolt to a 130BCD spider, which is all that is available either in the FSA Crank or Spesh spider option. :( Unless I didn't get it right.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:
biker jk wrote:
The chainrings won't bolt to a 130BCD spider, which is all that is available either in the FSA Crank or Spesh spider option. :( Unless I didn't get it right.
Yes I missed there wasn't a 110mm option to go with the 50-34 rings you could select. Indeed, you can select 130mm BCD and 50-34 and add to your cart. :shock:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:02 pm

pushys have the fsa powerbox for 850 then $90 off = $760. Not much in it, i think its still a bit cheaper from bike24 but then there is shipping.

For some reason thats not compatible with campag 11 speed.

Wonder when the NGEco will get listed in Australia power2max store, pity that black friday deal does not have compacts.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Well that's the combo I did, are you saying by definition that's not a compatible combo? I don't really understand how it says the spider isn't included as well, I thought the crankset was the spider? My current crankset is some silly 120/90mm thing so I think if what they send me doesn't work as a crank/rings by themselves i'll be buying extra random stuff I guess.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 pm

andrewjcw wrote:Well that's the combo I did, are you saying by definition that's not a compatible combo? I don't really understand how it says the spider isn't included as well, I thought the crankset was the spider? My current crankset is some silly 120/90mm thing so I think if what they send me doesn't work as a crank/rings by themselves i'll be buying extra random stuff I guess.
Smallest rings you can get on a 130BCD is 38T inner. 34 & 36T inners NEED a 110BCD spider.

I need a compact, so miffed I can't get a compact and no number available to ring :(
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Ah interesting, well I'll email support and see what they say. I don't really care if I have to go standard, although that would mean I need a new chain as well I guess.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
andrewjcw wrote:Well that's the combo I did, are you saying by definition that's not a compatible combo? I don't really understand how it says the spider isn't included as well, I thought the crankset was the spider? My current crankset is some silly 120/90mm thing so I think if what they send me doesn't work as a crank/rings by themselves i'll be buying extra random stuff I guess.
Smallest rings you can get on a 130BCD is 38T inner. 34 & 36T inners NEED a 110BCD spider.

I need a compact, so miffed I can't get a compact and no number available to ring :(
as a guess they don't have any 110bcd stock. I spammed them a email too :P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Don't hold your breath. I still haven't rec'd a response from yesterday.

And the Euro site, the compacts are available, and end up Euro580 including a stonking Euro 85 for delivery !!!!

Just ain't meant to be. :(
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Jawa wrote:Oh yeah, your first FTP test will be hell too :P
They're all hell! :(
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm

What annoys nme most, is that I would have been happy with the price, WITHOUT the rings ....

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:01 pm

I got my reply, they (presumably australian arm) don't have the ability to remove the 34/50 chainrings, just the ability to remove the 110bcd cranks.

ngeco coming in mid december

He also said the free rings is avaialble for the normal NG, but thats probably not relevant to any of us here :P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 pm

I got a call from Sam (typed my email address wrong !!) and he is going to see if they can get some Type S's from Germany (another customer wanted one as well). Only drawback may be a long lead time, but at that price, I can wait a bit.
Fallback option is the NGeco for not a huge amount more, so it's looking up again !!

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 pm

I talked to Sam as well, looks like I'm getting 53/39. Time to grow some muscles I guess.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:32 pm

andrewjcw wrote:I talked to Sam as well, looks like I'm getting 53/39. Time to grow some muscles I guess.
One of the Columbian U23's may have some left over Vitamins ..... :D

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Just took delivery of an Assioma Uno (hope to upgrade to a Duo next year when the budget is available) today. Picked it up for 20% off from clevertraining.com. I think this 20% off deal (for a range of PM's) is still open for a few hours only (Black Friday deal). https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/don ... -page.html

At 20% off, the Assioma Duo would be just about in the OP's price range.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi madmacca - yep, saw the 20% deal (when it was the VIP one), but even 20% off didn't quite get it close enough, as it's still around the $850 mark (+ shipping), and I was aiming at $750. For some reason, wasn't keen on the pedals despite the +ve reviews.

Anyway, looks like I have a good couple of options.

Look fwd to hearing how you get on. Enjoy

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 pm

MichaelB wrote:I got a call from Sam (typed my email address wrong !!) and he is going to see if they can get some Type S's from Germany (another customer wanted one as well). Only drawback may be a long lead time, but at that price, I can wait a bit.
Fallback option is the NGeco for not a huge amount more, so it's looking up again !!
wonder if that was me, he didn't mention any of that to me though. :|

I didn't ask, but any idea what the price of the NG Eco was going to be?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:54 pm

eeksll wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I got a call from Sam (typed my email address wrong !!) and he is going to see if they can get some Type S's from Germany (another customer wanted one as well). Only drawback may be a long lead time, but at that price, I can wait a bit.
wonder if that was me, he didn't mention any of that to me though. :|

I didn't ask, but any idea what the price of the NG Eco was going to be?
My NGeco is coming with the first batch that Sam gets. It was $1099 with the Rotor 3D24 cranks, which works out to around $699 for just the spider.

I ordered a Type-S literally about 6 hours before they announced the NGeco, so Sam offered me the upgrade at the cheaper price, and as the bike it’s going on won’t arrive till Feb, it’s not a huge deal.

I already have two Type-S power meters, so i am standardising on the p2max.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi