Bike-friendly accommodation and bike-box storage in Melbourne?

Shoshi

Bike-friendly accommodation and bike-box storage in Melbourne?

Postby Shoshi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:08 am

Hi, I'll be traveling through Melbourne in January and am looking for bike-friendly accommodation and a place to store my bike-box for 2 weeks or so. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

rifraf

Re: Bike-friendly accommodation and bike-box storage in Melbourne?

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:13 am

Welcome to the forum Shoshi.

A shame there has been no response as its a question I've have need to be answered myself in the future.

Not long ago we had a knowledgeable poster "Il Padrone" who I would have steered you towards with this question.

I believe he might still be found in the Thorn cycle forums.

Another avenue might be asking the question in here: http://www.mbtc.org.au

I think he was an active member of one of the Victorian cycle touring groups but I understand that there are a few and maybe not the one above I've offered.
However, someone in there should be able to steer you in the right direction - fingers crossed.

Please come back and update us with any answer you find, so others travelling in your tire tracks might benefit.

Good luck :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Shoshi

Postby Shoshi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi and thanks for responding to my post. I've been pointed to the airport as a possible place to store my bike bag (but surely that will cost) and some accommodation places might be willing do so if you are returning to them at the end of the tour. Still exploring the options.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:27 am

Shoshi wrote: I've been pointed to the airport as a possible place to store my bike bag (but surely that will cost) and some accommodation places might be willing do so if you are returning to them at the end of the tour.
Of the two the accommodation one is probably best. Do leave contact details on the bag so they can contact you if, for some reason, you leave it behind. The contact details should be for both home and Australia.

Good Luck.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:57 am

Shoshi wrote:Hi and thanks for responding to my post. I've been pointed to the airport as a possible place to store my bike bag (but surely that will cost) and some accommodation places might be willing do so if you are returning to them at the end of the tour. Still exploring the options.
I have done this many times. I look for a hotel which has luggage storage facilities and book a room inbound and outbound. Only once was there a small charge.

Holiday Inn, Park Royal, Quality Hotel and Mantra at Melbourne Airport all list luggage storage facilities. Email before booking to confirm they can store your bike bag.

Another option is to join warm showers and find a host who can store your bag.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Shoshi

Postby Shoshi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks Warin and Ron -- good to confirm beforehand by email whether the bag can be stored, and to leave my contact details on it.