Police target cyclists 5 Dec 17

SheikYerbouti

Police target cyclists 5 Dec 17

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Another Operation Pedro in Sydney on Tue 5th Dec.

li2099

Re: Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney

Postby li2099 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 am

SheikYerbouti wrote:Another Operation Pedro in Sydney on Tue 5th Dec.
I wonder if the police will turn up like this:

g-boaf

Re: Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

SheikYerbouti wrote:Another Operation Pedro in Sydney on Tue 5th Dec.
Don't ride the usual cyclist routes on that day.

find_bruce

Re: Police target cyclists 5 Dec 17

Postby find_bruce » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 am

Originally posted in Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney but I thought a new topic for this particular date may bring it to people's attention.

Could be statewide, but past operations suggest it will be focused around the Sydney CBD, Pyrmont & North Sydney, probably the main bike routes of Harbour Bridge, Anzac Bridge to Kent St, Anzac Parade and Oxford St.

The usual targets are helmets, bells & red lights, esp red bicycle lights.

Perhaps we should organise to hand out little christmas bells

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:Originally posted in Police target cyclists October 17 in Sydney but I thought a new topic for this particular date may bring it to people's attention.

Could be statewide, but past operations suggest it will be focused around the Sydney CBD, Pyrmont & North Sydney, probably the main bike routes of Harbour Bridge, Anzac Bridge to Kent St, Anzac Parade and Oxford St.

The usual targets are helmets, bells & red lights, esp red bicycle lights.

Perhaps we should organise to hand out little christmas bells
Previously it has been reported that they've tried to harass riders for riding on main roads too, though I don't know if that was substantiated or not. Think it was a lady who was targeted at that time.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 pm

g-boaf wrote:Previously it has been reported that they've tried to harass riders for riding on main roads too, though I don't know if that was substantiated or not. Think it was a lady who was targeted at that time.
How exactly did that go down? Unless there was a sign expressly forbidding cyclists, IIUC there's no basis for doing so and I would imagine you could lodge a formal complaint in that case???
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:56 pm

From hazy memory, she was pinged for dangerous cycling. I think it was more likely than not challenged, and withdrawn.

Police were still to get their heads around the legislation at the time and some officers who thought themselves smarter than they are evidently decided to get creative with the application of the law.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am

There were 6 officers on Pyrmont Bridge this morning, all standing together watching the cyclists waiting on the bike path across Murray st. Obviously out in force to try and stop the scourge of lawless cycling. Seriously, I'm not sure what 6 officers standing in plain view will accomplish or what infractions they will find, considering how easy it would be to ride off somewhere else if you just happened to forget your helmet that day.

There were also a couple of boys-in-blue hiding in a doorway alongside the King St cyclepath. I guess ready to leap out and apprehend ... ok, I have no idea what they were doing there.

It all seems like theater to me (look, we're doing something about something), doesn't even seem to work as revenue raising any more.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

Its for cyclists and pedestrians and there always is a large amount at Pyrmont bridge due to the high traffic

There was a motorcycle cop down the bottom of the Anzac Bridge as well this morning.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

Either they had left by the time I rode through Anzac Bridge & King St or I was oblivious - I was half expecting some over-enthusiastic & under-educated cop to give me grief about not riding on the bike path up King St. I was all prepared to rattle off "no its not a bike lane, no I am not required to use a bike path, no it is impractical to crossing two lanes of traffic to use a path that only goes for 2 blocks & no I am not using a path that terminates with a dangerous merge back onto the very road I am riding along" but no occasion to use it.

They might still have been at Pyrmont Bridge but I don't like riding along the narrow path to King St

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Vic ....police are looking for the owner.Of a bianchi (spelling) bike. :)

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPolice?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Just reading my local paper which has the statistics for the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.

59 cyclists were caught disobeying traffic lights.

34 riding on the footpath.

56 not wearing a helmet.

11 for other offences.

There were 70 pedestrian offences.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 pm

biker jk wrote:There were 70 pedestrian offences.
About time they cracked down on those perambulating scoff-laws. I get sooo upset by the threatening glances they make when they get too close to my car after they blatantly force me to stop at cross walks! Why don't they stick to the foot paths? They should wear registration plates so I can report them! Won't someone think of the children?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Thoglette wrote:About time they cracked down on those perambulating scoff-laws. I get sooo upset by the threatening glances they make when they get too close to my car after they blatantly force me to stop at cross walks! Why don't they stick to the foot paths? They should wear registration plates so I can report them! Won't someone think of the children?
ohhh dont get me started! *shakes fist*
and who pays for those footpaths!!! why dont they pay footpath rego to pay for the footpaths!

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 pm

biker jk wrote:J
56 not wearing a helmet.
Was in the CBD today, and was surprised to see several helmetless cyclists. Not on share bikes either.

I have seen them on share bikes around and about of course but these seemed to be commuters, and one I think was a courier.