Recommendation on tubeless sealant

BugsBunny

Recommendation on tubeless sealant

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey guys

Gonna try full tubeless soon (currently using latex with tubeless rims/tires). Any one got experience with sealant - good or bad to share? Online feedback is all over the shop with whats good or not.

Bugs

Crawf

Re: Recommendation on tubeless sealant

Postby Crawf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Stans will be just fine, would be wise to get a little more than you need in case you have some installation issues (spillage).

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I'm using Stans, but Orange Seal gets a pretty good wrap on the forums.

I have not experienced this yet, but Stans is reputed to harden into a ball over time. And using CO2 inflators accelerates this. Orange Seal apparently does not harden as quickly, but was more expensive last time I looked.

Whichever seal you choose it may need topping up/replacement periodically unless you tend to wear tyres out sooner.

This page is worth a read. TIRE SEALANT SHOOTOUT
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Stans.
The end, move on.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks guys. The link to the sealant shootout is interesting and similar to much of the online anecdotes -ie. hard to find a clear winner. I'll probably try Stan's then as its seems to have on balance most of the bases covered.

I've only got a standard floor pump, so do you guys think its just easier and more practical to let the LBS to fit them... or is it worth the time and effort to learn how to fit the sealant/tires on myself?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Thanks guys. The link to the sealant shootout is interesting and similar to much of the online anecdotes -ie. hard to find a clear winner. I'll probably try Stan's then as its seems to have on balance most of the bases covered.

I've only got a standard floor pump, so do you guys think its just easier and more practical to let the LBS to fit them... or is it worth the time and effort to learn how to fit the sealant/tires on myself?
I've only fitted two sets of tyres but found it quite easy. I have Stans Flow EX rims, and fitted a set of non-tubeless ready tyres initially, then later replaced them with tubeless ready tyres.

I only had a standard floor pump, so I considered buying an Airshot from Pushys. However if you search the web you'll find instructions to MYO inflator using a 1.5 litre soft drink bottle.

I could also have gone down to the local servo and used their air.

In the end with little difference in the price I decided on an Airwave Airblast pump from c r c. The standard pump may have been ok, but I never tried it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Lan Wing

Postby Lan Wing » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm

I used a CO2 cartridge to seat the bead the first time. If you already have an inflator its cheap and easy- learned from hard experience with a track pump while trying to convert my MTB. But if you don't have one or can't justify a purchase, any of the other ideas are good.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 am

BugsBunny wrote:Thanks guys. The link to the sealant shootout is interesting and similar to much of the online anecdotes -ie. hard to find a clear winner. I'll probably try Stan's then as its seems to have on balance most of the bases covered.

If you have a good floor pump give it a shot, if you have a crap pump that does not flow nicely then it could be very hard.
Its hard to say whether you'll be able to do it because there are a few variables, hook design, internal width, ERD etc.
I dont even bother with the pump these days and just use my air compressor, its all about smashing in as much air as possible to get those beads seated. I've never had luck with c02 cannisters and wasted many.

If you're going to try it yourself, to minimise spilled sealant initially, inject in 20ml or so only, swirl it around. Ensure the bead around the valve is deep as possible. Hang the wheel so its not touching the ground.
Then try using the floor pump with the valve sitting at 4 or 8 o'clock, if you get the beads seated great, release the air then inject the rest of the sealant through the valve so you don't disturb the bead lock again. Pump up again.

Discodan

Postby Discodan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Is this for road or MTB, the OP didn't specify. Stans is great for low pressure MTB but doesn't work as well for road pressures. By all count Orange is the ducks for high pressure

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Ease or difficulty seating tyres is very dependent on both the rims and the tyres; some combinations work really well, others take a bit of work but get there in the end, and some are just a plain bloody nightmare....

The Airshot-type things - there are quite a few options on the market now - are the most reliable and easily portable (to a point) means of inflating and seating tyres. Some are a snug enough fit to do with a floor pump. Compressors are good for delivering a constant airflow while you massage a reluctant tyre on to the beads, but unless you can open the regulator right up, which you can't on servo pumps, it can be hard to bet a sufficient flow volume to pop the tyres in, and if you're running a high flow rate, when they do pop you need to be on the ball to not over-inflate and blow the tyre off the rim.

Airshots & the like have an unregulated flow, so they deliver a quick blast of air, but the relatively small volume compared to a compressor tank maens you're extremely unlikely to blow the tyre off. And if you do have a tyre the doesn't fully lock the beads in place, it seals enough so you can swap over to the floor pump & finish off without losing all your air.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.