Moron Motorists #3

bychosis

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm

This morning's special person decided that they were scared of a truck but not a cyclist. I was outside the fog line, in the shoulder, but the little Suzuki swift in the left lane moved right over to the fog line to get away front the big scary truck in the right lane. While it wasn't a particularly close pass, it was closer than I'd like and probably close to the 1m clearance. Seems it's ok to scratch your car on a bicycle, but not a truck.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 am

bychosis wrote:This morning's special person decided that they were scared of a truck but not a cyclist. I was outside the fog line, in the shoulder, but the little Suzuki swift in the left lane moved right over to the fog line to get away front the big scary truck in the right lane. While it wasn't a particularly close pass, it was closer than I'd like and probably close to the 1m clearance. Seems it's ok to scratch your car on a bicycle, but not a truck.
Riding up a 2 lane major arterial road (70k limit) a while back, I was riding inside the shoulder. 3 cars passed in the left lane, no vehicles in the right. Not close passes as such but they did not deviate at all from their line. A bit further along while they were still in my view the road surface in the left lane was very rough for a short distance. All 3 vehicles moved across 1/2 into right lane to avoid the bumpy bits. A lot of drivers do not register a bike at all until they hit you.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 am

Usernoname wrote:
bychosis wrote:This morning's special person decided that they were scared of a truck but not a cyclist. I was outside the fog line, in the shoulder, but the little Suzuki swift in the left lane moved right over to the fog line to get away front the big scary truck in the right lane. While it wasn't a particularly close pass, it was closer than I'd like and probably close to the 1m clearance. Seems it's ok to scratch your car on a bicycle, but not a truck.
Riding up a 2 lane major arterial road (70k limit) a while back, I was riding inside the shoulder. 3 cars passed in the left lane, no vehicles in the right. Not close passes as such but they did not deviate at all from their line. A bit further along while they were still in my view the road surface in the left lane was very rough for a short distance. All 3 vehicles moved across 1/2 into right lane to avoid the bumpy bits. A lot of drivers do not register a bike at all until they hit you.
Basically tells me that many motorists value their comfort or car suspension more than the life of another human.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am

If there is a white line between them and you, you don't exist.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am

silentC wrote:If there is a white line between them and you, you don't exist.
When vic were discussing the 1m law, Racv wanted passing bikes in bike Lanes excluded. What does That tell you?

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 am

It tells me that bogan motorists aren't the only ones who think white lines are 3 dimensional :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 am

silentC wrote:It tells me that bogan motorists aren't the only ones who think white lines are 3 dimensional :)
It tells me That Racv is run by 2 dimensional morons

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

jasonc wrote: It tells me That Racv is run by 2 dimensional morons
RACV are heavily involved in "supporting" our peak cycling body here, Bicycle Network.
Supporting, advising, instructing, probably a combination of all :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm

I had an amusing one today in Adelaide. Turned left off Military Road heading south into Burbridge Road and I hear the roar of an engine but as the road is very wide I don't avert my attention from the parked cars ahead. White Commodore roars past then quickly pull into a car park space ahead. I needed to adjust my line but didn't need to brake. The thing I found amusing was, it was an unmarked Police car.
Mouse magnet

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:01 pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Green-edge bus driver got a new job I see :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 pm

^^^try this link
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-11/h ... ne/9320758

check the time line 3 seconds behind the cyclists and more than that to stop

"Police later said they had not been required to deal with the chaos"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm

antigee wrote:^^^try this link
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-11/h ... ne/9320758

check the time line 3 seconds behind the cyclists and more than that to stop
Shouldn't it have been a closed road given the race was happening on that section?

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Pretty sure those riders weren't part of the race.

They have rolling closures along the course and fixed closures at the start/finish at the appropriate times, otherwise all roads open. If that was the finish, it was closed from 2pm to 3pm but I think that video was a couple of hours earlier.
- Me

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:54 pm

silentC wrote:Pretty sure those riders weren't part of the race.

They have rolling closures along the course and fixed closures at the start/finish at the appropriate times, otherwise all roads open. If that was the finish, it was closed from 2pm to 3pm but I think that video was a couple of hours earlier.
timing would say amateur riders and a professional truck driver having his or her judgement impaired by having to work ahead of the rolling closure and still deal with cyclists...gotta earn a crust

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Yeah he was probably already annoyed about being held up and that would've been the straw that broke the camel's back. A deflating experience, surely. And he was probably bailed up by the organisers afterwards too.

Sorry, couldn't help it :)
- Me

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 pm

antigee wrote:timing would say
... one of the men's teams doing a reconnaissance of the stage.
antigee wrote:and a professional truck driver having
... an oversize load (over-height) not expecting to find a "bridge" on the route.

One of our resident professional truck drivers might opine as to whether that was illegally over height or just "she'll be right" over height. :) 4.3 metres comes to mind.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:37 pm

But were there any warning signs of a height restriction ahead ?

Only good thing was no-one got hurt.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Driver of a diesel Mercedes R300 or R320CDI yesterday. Engine in it had some very serious failure, yet he was still driving it.

The thing was belching enormous black clouds of smoke so thick you could barely see the car, and the whole back of the car was totally blackened. :shock: It could barely even accelerate properly.

What was he thinking!? Thank goodness it wasn't too close. I should have videoed it, totally unbelievable.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 am

g-boaf wrote:Driver of a diesel Mercedes R300 or R320CDI yesterday. Engine in it had some very serious failure, yet he was still driving it.

The thing was belching enormous black clouds of smoke so thick you could barely see the car, and the whole back of the car was totally blackened. :shock: It could barely even accelerate properly.

What was he thinking!? Thank goodness it wasn't too close. I should have videoed it, totally unbelievable.
If you have the rego number, report it to the EPA
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 am

I used to work there, but unfortunately the rego plate was too blackened to read it. Just shocking to see such a modern car in such a bad way.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Maybe the truck was running late to the national haters convention? (organized by the Qld Police)
Straw man anyone?, anyone?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am

Had the hay truck been loaded about the legal height? And therefor be liable for the damage to the finish banner?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am

Kronos wrote:It doesn't matter if the guy is a commuter (in this case) or a serious cyclist...
You misspelled "recreational". Commuting *is* serious cycling.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am

Biffidus wrote:
Kronos wrote:It doesn't matter if the guy is a commuter (in this case) or a serious cyclist...
You misspelled "recreational". Commuting *is* serious cycling.
You mean there is something more serious than commuting? :shock: