MTB pedals

LMS

MTB pedals

Postby LMS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

I about the buy a belt drive hub geared "commuter" bike because I have recently changed from road riding to bike path riding.

As a result I am looking at changing my shoes and pedals to MTB.

What recommendations do people have for pedal types and why? I kind of like the idea of a combination pedal (clip on one side only) but I could be convinced otherwise.

Cosh

Re: MTB pedals

Postby Cosh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Don't bother with the hybrid cleat/flat sided ones, just get M520 double sided.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85407

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

IMO, would depend on what shoes you plan on using and how much walking you see yourself doing in em.

If purely riding only, and your happy to use MTB shoes/cleats, id recommend something like the above mentioned M520s. Personally id fork out more and go the XT version. Its worth it

If you want to use normal shoes, i run the Saint MX80 (might be tad overkill)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Whilst I have now gone to flats for my fatbike and touring bike on my endurance ride (road bike) I am sticking with SPD pedals for walkability. Hence in my case I have gone with Shimano PD-A6000 pedals.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm

I have 1 side flat and 1 side clip in. I ride to running / gym so wear normal shoes and clipped in shoes otherwise. But its best to have clipped in double sided.

The other thing I found is the seat height will be right for clipped in and not flat or vice versa, its annoying enough for me I change the seat height (sometimes).

I went for these as the flat side had nice grippy studs. I don't like the feeling my feet might slip off. The spd clip in is a bit loose though.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Just another idea.. I'm currently riding speedplay syzr. They really do feel similar to speedplay roadpedals. They don't get good reviews but I haven't experienced any issues yet but I need to do a few more miles. The only comment I'd have is they seem very easy to clip out of.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Time ATAC = lots of float, set 'n forget, bearings last forever in wet urban road grime and off road mud or dust, cleats are slow to wear even if you push up lots of hills and even the smaller sized ones are not that bad to use with a vans type sneaker for rides to the shops. The cleats (two screw types) work well with even flat/ no tread touring shoes which make for a good year round touring shoe. Oh and peoples who try atacs rarely go back to the dark side of shimanos.
Go the giro shoe & atac pedal combo to look like you know what you are doing even if like me, you have no-idea whatsoever.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 am

baabaa wrote:Time ATAC = lots of float, set 'n forget, bearings last forever in wet urban road grime and off road mud or dust, cleats are slow to wear even if you push up lots of hills and even the smaller sized ones are not that bad to use with a vans type sneaker for rides to the shops. The cleats (two screw types) work well with even flat/ no tread touring shoes which make for a good year round touring shoe. Oh and peoples who try atacs rarely go back to the dark side of shimanos.
Go the giro shoe & atac pedal combo to look like you know what you are doing even if like me, you have no-idea whatsoever.
100% this ^^^^

Three bikes, same pedals, in fact same set of pedals for 20 years....... I even use them on my roadie, same shoes for everything.

As for shoes the Shimano M240 MTB shoe is the most comfortable bike shoe I've ever worn. I ride to my second job and wear them while I work and while they're not an all day shoe, they're good for three or four hours walking on polished concrete.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am

Umm... running bikes with the newish but not latest alium MTB in silver and black, older again style in white and red and then Julien Absalon limited edition signature ATAC XS (so extra fancy) on the road bike.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Another suggestion is Speedplay Frogs. Heaps of float.

For shoes I'd look around for something that has some stiffness in the sole, but still allows you to walk around a bit.
MUFC :twisted:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:11 am

I have Shimano M424 pedals on my commuter bike. They are SPD on both sides, but have a fairly large platform so that you can ride them with flat shoes if you want.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

I use a variety of shimano pedals
A530 - my preferred commuter pedals - in stop-start city traffic I will swipe my foot back to use the flat side & once I am clear, swipe my foot forward to use the cleat side. Pedal height is exactly the same either side.

M540 - used on my road bikes.

M545 - essentially the same as the M424 but with an alloy surround. I find its not comfortable to use with flat shoes - the spd clip sticks up creating a pressure point. I use the M540

If I was in the market for shimano spd pedals I would also consider the XT T8000 or the T420 click-r pedals.

Never used speedplay, time ATAC or others so have no comment on them
Anything you can do, I can do slower

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:54 pm

find_bruce wrote: A530 - my preferred commuter pedals - in stop-start city traffic I will swipe my foot back to use the flat side & once I am clear, swipe my foot forward to use the cleat side. Pedal height is exactly the same either side.
Keep in mind I was referring to different shoes when making the height comment above i.e running shoes on the flat side and cleated shoes for the cleat side. Clearly they would be different, but might not be a idiosyncrasy OP has thought of.
find_bruce wrote: M545 - essentially the same as the M424 but with an alloy surround. I find its not comfortable to use with flat shoes - the spd clip sticks up creating a pressure point. I use the M540
Same experience as me, also lacks any grip, I am not convinced this kind of pedal adds anything over riding with m540s when using flats.

Also it didnt work well with my cleated shoes, the cage messed with the float.