What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

find_bruce

Re: What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:29 am

Lozza wrote:Hi, I would like to say that I was one of the Marconi riders, we did stop to help and have been actively helping to find the bike, please check your facts before you say we haven’t contacted the owner
Hey Lozza, welcome to the forums. Glad to have any misunderstandings cleared up and that in this seemingly awful incident that you are among the good guys.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

robbo mcs

Re: What kind of scumbag do you have to be to steal the bike of a man with a head injury, being loaded in an ambulance?

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:48 pm

You have a picture of the person who took the bike. Admittedly it is not a great picture, but almost certainly someone who knows the guy would be able to recognise him.

I would suggest you get threads going on facebook asking people to identify him.

In the circumstance where he has stolen the bike, and then family, friends, work colleagues etc started to contact him, no doubt he would come forward saying there had been a big misunderstanding etc.

Also I would try contacting the media to see if you can get them to run the story and the photo. I would put the angle of "lack of christmas spirit" on it. Remember, this time of year it is a very slooooooow time for news and the papers, tv news bulletins are looking for fillers to take up the space, so they may run with it. Certainly a local paper would run with it

I certainly think the best chance of getting the bike back is having people recognise the person in the photo who took it.

Good luck.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:44 am

Have you put something up on Facebook we can share?

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 am

jindydiver wrote:Have you put something up on Facebook we can share?
Not a big Facebook user but I put this https://www.facebook.com/mistigri.david

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:26 am

xavdav wrote:
Since the bike has not been returned I took the freedom to publish his mobile # on my facebook page. Let him know what you think of his behaviour...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:33 am

xavdav wrote:
xavdav wrote:
Since the bike has not been returned I took the freedom to publish his mobile # on my facebook page. Let him know what you think of his behaviour...
Can the police not track him down from his mobile #?
I'd have thought that within their capabilities?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 am

warthog1 wrote:
Can the police not track him down from his mobile #?
I'd have thought that within their capabilities?
Tell me :roll:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am

What is it we do not know.

I can't say I'm seeing a clear demonstration of who did the deed. Maybe you have more but all we have is a pair of photos that could be the same person but not close to adequate to be certain.

I would hope, for example,that someone credible has recognised him specifically and did so from more than the shadowy picture that you published. If you get it wrong then the injury to an innocent Peter Wilson would be far in excess of any injury you suffered from the loss of bike.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:10 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:What is it we do not know.

I can't say I'm seeing a clear demonstration of who did the deed. Maybe you have more but all we have is a pair of photos that could be the same person but not close to adequate to be certain.

I would hope, for example,that someone credible has recognised him specifically and did so from more than the shadowy picture that you published. If you get it wrong then the injury to an innocent Peter Wilson would be far in excess of any injury you suffered from the loss of bike.
Hi Colin,
He has been identified by the people he flogged the group set to, so no question here.
He also just handed the frame over to the police. I just got informed of that an hour ago. Identified by Police also. :roll:
True, there are many Peter Wilson and one of them prayed on the cool bike of one of his fellow cyclist, he was photographed at the scene.
Lots of coincidences, don,t you think.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Glad they caught the bstard :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:58 pm

xavdav wrote:

Hi Colin,
He has been identified by the people he flogged the group set to, so no question here.
He also just handed the frame over to the police. I just got informed of that an hour ago. Identified by Police also. :roll:
True, there are many Peter Wilson and one of them prayed on the cool bike of one of his fellow cyclist, he was photographed at the scene.
Struth! Flogged off the group set... Talk about kicking a man when he is down! :evil: Hopefully he'll get in big trouble for his efforts.

Now that he is known, he'll never be able to go anywhere near that cycleway. Though maybe some time in the lockup might be a good solution too.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:09 pm

What a low life, he is?
Helped to look after your bike then changed his mind to flog off the groupset.
Have you got the electronic gadgets and wheels back or not?

If not, then sue him for missing parts or take legal action to make him pay.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:What a low life, he is?
iam kinda a littlebit surprised that people assume that lowlives abide by some kind of ethics!
believe it or not its actually kinda hard to enforce someone paying back stolen property, i guess thats why its so rife, law enforcement agency’s are simply just not interested in small time fraud or theft, we are in the process of attempting to recover some monies through the SA magistrates court, its a slow , laborious and painful process.

a little longer ago i was in the process of recovering some stolen golf clubs , again the police interest was luke warm at best and i pretty much had to do all the work hunting down the details of the prick that done it through security footage and the add on gumtree the idiot posted with his name and mobile number. the police finally went round and retrieved them when i said i was prepared to go myself and if they didnt want more work that may have arisen from me "greeting" him it might be prudent that they went. he also had warrents out on him.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:08 pm

xavdav wrote:

Hi Colin,
Wow. What a low life...I hope the police charged him when he handed the frame over. He'll have a criminal record (if he didn't already have one..I mean, who does this kind of low act without having previous form?)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 pm

xavdav wrote:

Hi Colin,
You've given the information beyond a grainy image on which a solid id has been made. If you haven't already done so perhaps you could do the same on your FB post as well.

I'm glad of two things.

(1) That you were wearing a helmet (make sure to replace it with a new one).

(2) That you have managed to track down the jerk.

NO make that three things - (3) that the jerk went beyond being caught with holding the bike - in that case he could always make up a story as to how he was still trying to find you - and, by stripping it, has demonstrated to all and sundry his clear and low-life intent. I hope he suffers great ignominy among his peers (along with legal sanctions).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:56 pm

koshari wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:What a low life, he is?
iam kinda a littlebit surprised that people assume that lowlives abide by some kind of ethics!
believe it or not its actually kinda hard to enforce someone paying back stolen property, i guess thats why its so rife, law enforcement agency’s are simply just not interested in small time fraud or theft, we are in the process of attempting to recover some monies through the SA magistrates court, its a slow , laborious and painful process.

a little longer ago i was in the process of recovering some stolen golf clubs , again the police interest was luke warm at best and i pretty much had to do all the work hunting down the details of the prick that done it through security footage and the add on gumtree the idiot posted with his name and mobile number. the police finally went round and retrieved them when i said i was prepared to go myself and if they didnt want more work that may have arisen from me "greeting" him it might be prudent that they went. he also had warrents out on him.

It just surprised me that he was out there on that crappy day with the intention of doing that. I mean it wasn't a real nice day, the weather was poor and he was out there and thought he'd just pray on some poor unlucky guy who had an accident. I really, really hope he gets the book thrown at him. Deserves it.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm just wondering if this mongrel put some petrol or something on the track to cause this accident to prey on someone like you on a nice bike.
Wonder if hes also flogged of your Fly 6 & 12 lights too....what an !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!!!
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 am

g-boaf wrote:
It just surprised me that he was out there on that crappy day with the intention of doing that. I mean it wasn't a real nice day,
keeps him outa the pool halls i guess?
the weather was poor and he was out there and thought he'd just pray on some poor unlucky guy who had an accident. I really, really hope he gets the book thrown at him. Deserves it.
seriously though I would imagine this was an opportunistic event, these type of lowlives are to lazy to have a system in place, they simply have a mechanism in their brain that triggers " opportunity" when such a moment arises and then they pounce.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:56 am

Is there any more to this story? Have all the bits been returned and the bike returned to original condition? Are the Police looking at further action?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 am

Also interested in the full story - the groupset was stripped and sold then the perpetrator brought just the frame to the police?

Hope you re in good health and spirits xavdav.
Cycling is in my BNA

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Group set was turned in by the association that received it as ...a gift, as well as the name of the suspect and his mobile #. When he got a few calls from the police wanting to talk to him he realised that he was stuffed and handed over the frame (with the serial # chiselled off)to his local police station. Police must have put a bit on pressure on him because he returned the wheel set (without tyres :x )and the tool kit two days later (I finally managed to get them back from the police today). The powermeter and the Fly 6 & 12 have probably been flogged, so I did not get them back.
I have been cleared of any brain damage by the neuro surgeon today. Not a big surprise, I was back at work since Christmas day :mrgreen: Also I must admit I had a solid two hour ride on new years day :oops:.
The bike has been rebuilt and waiting in the garage, for a test ride.
Thanks to everybody that supported me since the beginning of that crazy story.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 am

Thanks xavdav, glad that you are on top of the health.
I assume that for the missing (stolen) camera's that the thief is still in debt and not yet off the hook with the police. I am still surprised at the absence of humanity and robbing you while you were down.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:58 am

xavdav wrote:Group set was turned in by the association that received it as ...a gift, as well as the name of the suspect and his mobile #. When he got a few calls from the police wanting to talk to him he realised that he was stuffed and handed over the frame (with the serial # chiselled off)to his local police station. Police must have put a bit on pressure on him because he returned the wheel set (without tyres :x )and the tool kit two days later (I finally managed to get them back from the police today). The powermeter and the Fly 6 & 12 have probably been flogged, so I did not get them back.
I have been cleared of any brain damage by the neuro surgeon today. Not a big surprise, I was back at work since Christmas day :mrgreen: Also I must admit I had a solid two hour ride on new years day :oops:.
The bike has been rebuilt and waiting in the garage, for a test ride.
Thanks to everybody that supported me since the beginning of that crazy story.
Good you are back in action. :) That guy who stole the stuff is a real low life.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm

xavdav wrote:Group set was turned in by the association that received it as ...a gift, as well as the name of the suspect and his mobile #.
They need to be named and shamed ;) ... when all is clear legally of course. What an outstanding effort, dipping into their own pockets to help get this outcome.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Also interested in the full story - the groupset was stripped and sold then the perpetrator brought just the frame to the police?
What kind of an idiot does this? Not the sharpest knife in the draw apparently either.