IS the shi*t about to hit the fan?.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 am

wombatK wrote:Can someone tell me it's all marketing hype and that the pommy cyclists really were just better trained and worked harder than everyone else ?
Placebo effect from flour tablets are known to induce measurable improvements in one's physical condition, so who knows how much of its effects were placebo or real unless a scientific study is done. And then it's often even harder to work out the active ingredients.

As for the British cyclists. Well, the government did pour money into the sport similar to what we did some years back. Whether they achieved better selection, training, motivation or just good luck, who knows? As they say, every bit helps.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:42 am

From Cyclingnews.com
Both Leonardo Piepoli and Stefan Schumacher have tested positive for the performance enhancing substance CERA
Well thats not exactly shocking news, Piepoli said he doped then said he didnt, and i think alot of people had raised eyebrows when Schumacher started winning Time Trials.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:33 pm

more than raised eyebrows, the conversation at our place whilst glued to the box was "ho hum, the first of this years cheats".

As pointed out in other threads, at this elite level you just cant suddenly become a world champion beater having never displayed the form previously. Anyone heard of Schumacher begore (other than for failing various drug tests)?

For example, Usain Bolt is new to the scne, 21 years old. However, he's been a world champion since he was 15. Cadel was a champion mountain cyclist, he has been a decade in the making. Same with Rogers from juniors. Stuey had the form as a world champion from the track, and took a decade on the road getting his reputation. etc etc.

Anyway, it looks like the nect week is going to be bleak as the further test results are released (better not be Stuey et al)
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:01 pm

I had heard of Schumacher before, but beating Fabs in the first TT was very surprising, the second one not so much becuase he was so tired after pulling for sastre. Stuey in unfortunately on the same list thats getting retested, Hopefully nothing comes of it being a good Adelaide boy.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:55 pm

That's f#%(AT)*d :x
FPR Ragamuffin

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 pm

Fuggem! Mongrel turds, the lot of 'em.

Forget sanctions an' !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.

Life bans.
All previous results expunged from the records.
Massive fines.
Criminal proceedings.

Time that frickin' feather they get slapped with was made outta cast iron.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tale

Postby Tale » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 am

Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:15 pm

Interesting that this article mentions Contador as being involved in operacion peurto. This information was quickly swept under the carpet when the news first broke a couple of years ago, and is conveniently overlooked these days. They were hoping that when the judge closed the case it would disappear completely. I don't see Alberto lining up offering his DNA to compare with any of the blood baggies.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:23 pm

info!.
Last edited by toolonglegs on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 am

Thats it for the CERA retesting

AFLD done with Tour testing – no more cases
The French anti-doping agency AFLD has concluded its re-testing of the 2008 Tour de France samples. Bernhard Kohl was the last to be caught and no other cases have been found, L'Equipe reported.

There were a total of 30 samples re-tested specifically for CERA, after suspicious blood values had been observed.

from cyclingnews.com

So it looks like CSC and Columbia were clear for CERA atleast :wink:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 am

RICHARDH wrote:Thats it for the CERA retesting

AFLD done with Tour testing – no more cases
The French anti-doping agency AFLD has concluded its re-testing of the 2008 Tour de France samples. Bernhard Kohl was the last to be caught and no other cases have been found, L'Equipe reported.

There were a total of 30 samples re-tested specifically for CERA, after suspicious blood values had been observed.

from cyclingnews.com

So it looks like CSC and Columbia were clear for CERA atleast :wink:
Could be a few sighs of relief after that announcement.
FPR Ragamuffin

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:18 pm

"gracias a Dios"

"Gott sei Dank"

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:52 am

:wink:
Last edited by toolonglegs on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:17 am

I heard about the 300 samples, didnt they turn up again though? Not that there any good now as im sure none of those samples will test positive. What a joke, cycling has the best system in place actually gets ppl and doesnt fall for crap excuses like i have a dead twin inside me. While the biggest sporting event in the world can have such a flawed ( i was going to use another f word there but thought better of it) system and actually lose hundreds of test but cycling is the tainted, drugged up monster in the media.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:48 am

No surprise at all. Just look at our government, our military, our intelligence community, our corporate sector, or even our own households. Major stuff ups are everywhere. It's easy to finger point on deficiencies until you try to do it yourself. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens!

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote:...Anyone care to guess how many!...
I would hazard a guess that there will be.....none! :roll:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:20 pm

I'd say there'll be at least a few and would look forward to seeing those dopers getting punished.

I note that even with the notice that dope testing would be stepped up, quite a number of participants still ran the gauntlet with older drugs eg. Moreno of Spain for EPO use. So given CERA's special situation, there'll definitely be opportunistic users in that cohort.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:22 pm

toolonglegs wrote: There were some problems with the lab in China during the Games, as despite an arrangement, no international observers were allowed. One positive test sample submitted was not recognised as a positive by the lab, according to rad-net.de.
If that is true then that smells ... it would bring into question all the testing done and "not-done". Disappointing.

Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Yes it is a bit strange and opens quite a few questions
Last edited by toolonglegs on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 am

sogood wrote:No surprise at all. Just look at our government, our military, our intelligence community, our corporate sector, or even our own households. Major stuff ups are everywhere. It's easy to finger point on deficiencies until you try to do it yourself. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! happens!
This doesnt look like a stuff up it looks like an intentional effort to not catch dopers?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:08 am

RICHARDH wrote:This doesnt look like a stuff up it looks like an intentional effort to not catch dopers?
Same applies to all the government stuff ups. And who knows how trustworthy and lack of spin are those press reports.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:18 pm

sogood wrote: Same applies to all the government stuff ups. And who knows how trustworthy and lack of spin are those press reports.
If China were looking for a spin doctor.....
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:47 pm

FPR Ragamuffin