Bikes for short people

Polynomial

Bikes for short people

Postby Polynomial » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:19 pm

New to this. I have been riding an old 26 inch wheel mens mountain bike which my brothers made for me over 15 years ago. The rear rim is now buckled, the brakes don't work and neither do the gears really.

So, I'm looking at getting a new/second hand bike that will go down a dirt track, but also be suitable for around town. I really just want something that runs well/works.

My question is the size. I'm female, 161cm, not large. I'm comfortable on the 26 inch tyres but wondering what the best frame size would be. I find I slide forwards on the seat. The measurement of the current frame size is 58cm from the seat post to the front fork. From the reading I've done though, it looks like I'll be on a kids bike.

Any recommendations?

A_P

Re: Bikes for short people

Postby A_P » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Giant bike sizing for reference
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... _chart.pdf

Most other manufacturers will be similar

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 pm

A lot of manufacturers don't really do frame sizes by the centimetre anymore. You will likely be on an S or XS. The only person that has to know its a "kids bike" is you.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Polynomial wrote:Any recommendations?
Stick with 26" tyres. I'm too tired to explain so I'll pass you over to Velouria's blog post about frame and wheel sizes and the Rivendell Clementine
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:59 am

A new wheel, and a visit to the bike shop for some new cables and a tune-up may fix the current problems for a lot cheaper than replacing the entire bike.

For sure, it won't give you that New Bike Buzz, but a 2nd hand one won't be quite as buzzy either.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 pm

madmacca wrote:A new wheel, and a visit to the bike shop for some new cables and a tune-up may fix the current problems for a lot cheaper than replacing the entire bike.
I agree, and that would also be my recommendation if the current bike was already a good fit for her. However at 161cm on a bike with a 58cm top tube and needing to "slide forward on the seat" all the time, I'd say that current frame is about 4cm or so too big.

Polynomial, you probably should look for a bike (mountain or hybrid) with a frame with about a 54cm top tube and similar or just a bit less for the effective seat tube length (say about 52 to 53 cm).

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Cue Randy Newman!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:19 pm

davehirst wrote:Cue Randy Newman!
Have you actually listened to the song?
Or are you from one of those states in the US where they think irony has something to do with housework. :D
Mind you, last year he finally got what he asked for for Xmas all those years ago.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Polynomial

Postby Polynomial » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 am

I think I've decided to go with this one:

https://ivanhoecycles.com.au/bicycle-bi ... treet/8892

Got a special on it at a local bike shop. Men's small.

Anyway opinions?

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am

A simple uncomplicated street bike, good choice.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Polynomial wrote:So, I'm looking at getting a new/second hand bike that will go down a dirt track, but also be suitable for around town. I really just want something that runs well/works.
Polynomial wrote:I think I've decided to go with this one:
https://ivanhoecycles.com.au/bicycle-bi ... treet/8892
Got a special on it at a local bike shop. Men's small.
Yes, it looks good for what you require. Mens small looks about the right size for you. This site https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/inee ... t-mid-step shows sizing and geometry for that bike, and the effective top tube length is 55cm. So fairly similar to the 54cm I suggested above, and given the short stem it shouldn't be too longer reach. I'd say that bike looks ideal for type of riding you mention.