How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 am

Last night my track pump failed at home, so I struggled with a mini pump to get the tyres to pressure. Then figured I’d bring the spare pump from work home because I never use it there. This morning I arrived at the gate at work to hear the dreaded shhh shhh shhh sssshhhhhhh. Suppose I’ll sort that out at lunch time.

Positive note I got a rare CCR point this morning. Rare because it’s unusual to see someone further up the CCR points ladder than myself, it’s unusual to get passed by anyone on the share path because all the other riders are mostly on cruiser or MTBs.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 am

I got "instructed" in how to cycle by another cyclist this morning, which was incongruous given that he clearly had no idea how to cycle properly in urban streets himself. :roll: I was riding west along Bridge St towards the Punt Rd intersection, and in primary position (aka "claiming the lane" aka "vehicular cycling"), because in the morning peak that's the safest lane position to take. If you ride near the kerb, motorists WILL try to overtake you while staying in the left lane, that's guaranteed.

The other cyclist, while overtaking me on the left, said something like "You might want to move left, to give the motorists room to pass". Then, once we both started moving west from the intersection, and I was about to merge left onto the shared path just next to Wellington Pde, he again overtook me on the left and swerved across me to stay on the road. He's clearly in no position to criticise others' cycling methods.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 pm

I pointed out to a cyclist that her rear tyre was a bit flat. She pointed out that my bike was making an annoying click every pedal stroke. Sadly for me one of these things is easily fixed.

I was on auto pilot - meant to take the short way to work, but ended up adding the extra 4k without thinking about it
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Wind again, what is it with Melbourne lately, a howling gale in my face on the way home today.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am

Just a tad wet this morning. It was raining fairly heavily, but given I have 2days per week I can cycle commute I decided to risk it. Used the fixie because less drive train to worry about.

Got to work and had a shower which was possibly less wet than when I arrived, despite a spray jacket, shoe covers and a ass saver as a rear guard. Didn't help that it was too dark to see the puddles.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

LG

Postby LG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Have gone semi 'all in' recently - back to one car household which my partner uses, now committed to riding every day. About 2 days later a colleague had killed a couple sheep on his farm and gave me about 10kg of neck chops at work, very full backpack on way home.
LG = Low Gear

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 am

I've had a couple of memorable rides recently.

I rendered my regular commuter out of action through poor maintenance see this thread. I threw a chain, bent a derailleur hanger and broke two spokes. The ride home was not a lot of fun being wobbly and reluctant to change gears once I found one that worked.

Then yesterday my ride was cut short by a motorist who decided that she suddenly wanted to use the bit of road that I was using to overtake her. The result was that she crashed me into a parked car, and now my backup bike is also bent out of shape, or at least the front wheel is. I'm pretty much ok, but may have fractures in both wrists, which are now in splints, and a few grazes and bruises.

I've got footage, police attendance etc I expect their opinion of events will be provided soon. Need to figure out what I need to get the bike on the road again.

Cheers,

Cameron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 pm

ironhanglider wrote:I've had a couple of memorable rides recently.

I rendered my regular commuter out of action through poor maintenance see this thread. I threw a chain, bent a derailleur hanger and broke two spokes. The ride home was not a lot of fun being wobbly and reluctant to change gears once I found one that worked.

Then yesterday my ride was cut short by a motorist who decided that she suddenly wanted to use the bit of road that I was using to overtake her. The result was that she crashed me into a parked car, and now my backup bike is also bent out of shape, or at least the front wheel is. I'm pretty much ok, but may have fractures in both wrists, which are now in splints, and a few grazes and bruises.

I've got footage, police attendance etc I expect their opinion of events will be provided soon. Need to figure out what I need to get the bike on the road again.

Cheers,

Cameron
Bugger Cameron, both wrists in a splint must be inconvenient to say the least. Hope you heal quickly

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks Bruce,

I'm thinking that if I can stick some cork bar tape onto the plastic bits that I'll be able to grip things a bit better.

Cheers,

Cameron

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm

ouch cameron. hope the driver comes to the party and you are able to get back on the road ASAP

kb

Postby kb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Pushed it a bit today just so I could say I put some effort into Far Kew to work :-)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Have ridden in two mornings in a row, after training it home last night due to being marooned in the office late by stupid things.

On my first approach to the PSP, cars actually waited behind me instead of passing me through a pinch point, which was kinda nice.

A lot more riders around at earlier stages of my trip than usual, and witnessed a few patches of argy-bargy and abuse where it looked to me like brakes and courtesy would have done just fine ...

Alfred Hitchcock moment under Canning Bridge with pigeons taking flight off the rafters just as I came in, yargh ...

Then somewhere around Bull Creek I spy someone in my rear view mirror, and just got that sneaking suspicion he was mounting a challenge. I rose and prevailed - and it turned out to be a former colleague who I ended up having a good chat to.

Actually shaved a few minutes off this morning which was pretty surprising given how terrible I felt starting off. And I remembered my undies today! (also an improvement on yesterday ... :oops: )
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

Saw a cyclist walking on the Anzac Bridge & thought I would see if there was anything I could do. Turned out the head tube had cracked completely at the edge of the lug. :shock: Nope, there ain't no fixing that. Glad he noticed before a serious crash

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

find_bruce wrote:Saw a cyclist walking on the Anzac Bridge & thought I would see if there was anything I could do. Turned out the head tube had cracked completely at the edge of the lug. :shock: Nope, there ain't no fixing that. Glad he noticed before a serious crash
You don't carry zip ties or duct tape?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 am

bychosis wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Saw a cyclist walking on the Anzac Bridge & thought I would see if there was anything I could do. Turned out the head tube had cracked completely at the edge of the lug. :shock: Nope, there ain't no fixing that. Glad he noticed before a serious crash
You don't carry zip ties or duct tape?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

Excuses thread for me today. Waaay too wet

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm

bychosis wrote:You don't carry zip ties or duct tape?
Jeez what sort of bodgy mechanic are you. I thought everyone knew that repairs of that nature require a stick & some baling wire :D

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Kudos to anyone who commuted today in Brisbane - very rainy, very windy...!! I opted for the bus today...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Abby wrote:Kudos to anyone who commuted today in Brisbane - very rainy, very windy...!! I opted for the bus today...
Agreed! I jumped in the car with the wife! Luckily she gets free parking over in the West End so I can jump out at the CBD (where I work).

Looks like a wet weekend too. :cry:

LG

Postby LG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 pm

First patch of fog for the season yesterday morning, we're almost into autumn.
LG = Low Gear

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Very wet brisbane commute this morning. Clothes have been drying under a fan.

And its raining rather hard again for the trip home :evil:

tabb

Postby tabb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm

...was even wetter getting home. Bikeway flooded at Kedron which didn't help much - had to have a few detours. Still more reliable (and probably comfortable) than Qld Rail though.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 pm

tabb wrote:...was even wetter getting home. Bikeway flooded at Kedron which didn't help much - had to have a few detours. Still more reliable (and probably comfortable) than Qld Rail though.
I caught a train and a bus home. Was home in about an hour, same time as riding

tabb

Postby tabb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:49 am

That's quite amazing for our trains - you'd think the track would have been flooded at Fortitude Valley or something at least!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 am

Abby wrote:Kudos to anyone who commuted today in Brisbane - very rainy, very windy...!! I opted for the bus today...
I worked from home.