Austalia's 50 most influential people in Cycling

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Austalia's 50 most influential people in Cycling

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I am not familiar with journalist Reece Homfray, (I am not a South Australian local) though he has a regular column in the Adelaide advertiser and has a recently publish list of the 50 most influential personalities in cycling.

The content is behind a paywall though ironically, in this day and age, media outlets still need to get reach and coverage for their content so sometimes still provide access to the content when visitors come from social media such as through the Cycling Australia facebook page.

It is an interesting list and the selection is extremely debatable though is unmistakably tied towards International Road Cycling. The introduction does go some way to provide the scope though when I consider mountain bike, other media let alone cycling advocacy and bicycle retail, the definition of 'cycling' is clearly narrowed. In other words, there are a host of people who heavy impact and influence cycling in Australia in other ways who would be listed so it is far to say this is list of many of the people who impact professional road cycling.

In brief, there are some of the riders as well as team directors or backers and people involved in the sports organisational bodies and a few from media.

Title
The Coffee Ride #175, with Reece Homfray: Australian cycling’s 50 most influential list

Likely a Paywall
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/the ... 461bd2ccdf
Cycling is in my BNA

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Austalia's 50 most influential people in Cycling

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 pm

I was expecting to see Harry Opperman in there.

Surely Oppy must feature.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Would not pay 0.50¢ for a Murdoch rag.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:03 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I was expecting to see Harry Opperman in there.

I think you will find the article is about living people who influence cycling now.

This Facebook link should enable you to see the whole article without the paywall.
https://www.facebook.com/TiserSport/pos ... 9040133662
Click on the post and it takes you to article.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 am

It needs to be re-titled road cycle racing as these people by and large have bugger all influence on cycling. A few exceptions but it's a sideline for them, not their prime area of influence.

The people with biggest influence on cycling are the politicians who set the tone for cyclists and cycling, especially those with the power to do something. Unfortunately the influence they have is largely a negative one.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:14 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I was expecting to see Harry Opperman in there.

I think you will find the article is about living people who influence cycling now.

This Facebook link should enable you to see the whole article without the paywall.
https://www.facebook.com/TiserSport/pos ... 9040133662
Click on the post and it takes you to article.
Contemporary riders and others was my first thought.

And it does say "are" so maybe I am being a bit harsh. But then, is Phil Anderson still of great influence outside of his massive historical achievements over 30 years ago? Maybe someone knows and will come back here.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Is it bad that I have only heard of two of them? And one of those only because we we were in surfclub together?

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Is it bad that I have only heard of two of them? And one of those only because we we were in surfclub together?
one would have to be living underneath a rock to not have heard the names Anna Meares, Cadel Evans, Robbie Mcewan, Ritchie Porte.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It needs to be re-titled road cycle racing as these people by and large have bugger all influence on cycling. A few exceptions but it's a sideline for them, not their prime area of influence.

The people with biggest influence on cycling are the politicians who set the tone for cyclists and cycling, especially those with the power to do something. Unfortunately the influence they have is largely a negative one.
Well said.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Seems that if you have something to do with the cadel evans gran fondo then you make the list. That accounts for about half of the names. Caleb Ewan is influential now? FFS

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Seems that if you have something to do with the cadel evans gran fondo then you make the list. That accounts for about half of the names. Caleb Ewan is influential now? FFS
Cadel Evans winning a grand tour and gaining a jersey in one of the other ones was pretty influential, but this list should be changed to "current influencers" or something along those lines.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 am

The post with the copy and paste was removed. Generally it may be fair use to copy some parts for social commentary however copying an entire article or content which is otherwise paid content is typically a copyright breach.

For this reason, others have chosen not to do this and why I (as Admin) have to remove it.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 am

Richie Porte?? Gerrans??

Dr teeth makes sense, getting the yellow jersey brought the TDF into our lounge rooms. Evans caused the mass purchasing of BMC kit. But those two? Caleb Ewan? Who outside of cycling has heard of them?

And don't even mention keenan to me :evil:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 am

Derny Driver wrote:Seems that if you have something to do with the cadel evans gran fondo then you make the list. That accounts for about half of the names. Caleb Ewan is influential now? FFS
Just looking at the racing side, it's actually a damning statement of how low down the sport's totem pole cycle racing really is and how fragile the sport's structure is. There is Gerry Ryan, then there is a massive gap, like the distance between galaxies compared to the distance between ants in an ant mount. If Gerry one day decided he's had enough and pulls out, I can tell you a lot of the sport would collapse very quickly.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:27 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The post with the copy and paste was removed. Generally it may be fair use to copy some parts for social commentary however copying an entire article or content which is otherwise paid content is typically a copyright breach.
As you wish sir, the polite version of what I said is above.

EDIT: Because politics...
Last edited by Kronos on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm

These are your personal views, though as the friendly operator of the site, I am the one who is first on the line if there is a lawyer or formal legal request for more information such as 'who is Kronos'. Experience confirms that it is better for this community with a managed approach as we are about bikes and cycling and there are plenty of other sites and opportunities out there for people who are passionate to take action on their convictions.

This site doesn't do that notion 'free speech' because often people think it means that anything goes. That would include hate speech and illegal content which I (as the admin) am not prepared to accommodate and defend.

The Forum Rules are a good starting point to understand what the forums are about:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=18364

Christopher / Admin
Cycling is in my BNA

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks, I am aware that the internet is not a democracy, nor a country, and that the applicable laws surrounding freedom of political speech are not applicable here. I do not wish to create more work here than what is nescessary. That is also why I've chosen to retract the statement above. Enough people have seen it to pass their own judgment. Nothing further needs to be said, or will be said on that matter by myself.