Glasses for riding

MichaelB

Glasses for riding

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Tuco and a few others have mentioned their glasses and in particular ones with interchangeable lenses.

After my last few downhill runs, I am beginning to see the importance of these, and was wondering what people use.

Ebay turns up these

Ebay cycling Glasses

Any thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Cheers

Michael B

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:00 pm

I use BBB Quicksteps (4 sets of interchangeable lenses) which were a bit more expensive and have been very happy with them.
It's worth a try - you'd lose less than $60 if they turn out to be dogs. :?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:40 pm

Again, it's all about fit. Some brands fits better than others. So it's highly advisable to check them out in person. The other big one is their anti-fogging capability. It may be worthwhile to apply a chemical coating.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Mine are from Ananconda. They were on sale at $24 down from $40

The brand is LENZ and the lenses are interchangeable with clear, yellow and sunglasses tint.

Haven't used the clear yet as the sun is brighter up here (don't laugh, it's a fact. I never owned sunglasses until I moved up here) but if in say, Victoria in winter then I'd use the clear lense then.

The only problem I've had with the yellow is when the sun rises on our early, early rides we're riding directly into it with yellow lenses. :shock:
It'd be handy to carry the regular tinted glasses for after sunrise. 8)

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:56 pm

BBB Sportglasses. 3 lenses (clear yellow dark) no problems.

Decided I don't like the yellow lenses because they make some people's indicator lights all but invisible in daylight.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:58 pm

tuco wrote:The only problem I've had with the yellow is when the sun rises on our early, early rides we're riding directly into it with yellow lenses. :shock:
It'd be handy to carry the regular tinted glasses for after sunrise. 8)
What you want there is a photochromatic lens, one that changes the density according to the available light. It's available but it'll cost you! :wink:

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:16 pm

Iv'e got the specialized photochromatics

You can't notice them changing as you'd expect and they are borderline too dark for night and really bright light riding.

Very comfy though. It doesn't suit "all conditions" though. Best in overcast and dim light situations.

By the way, have you all seen this;

http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/microsite/movies/

Keep in mind that alot of the cheap three interchangable models don't filter UV.

Bliss
Last edited by gururug on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Shimano Zenith with clear, yellow & dark lenses. They're comfortable (for my head, at least) and I don't cycle without them.

I used to get some fogging when stopping on a hot day, though it would disappear pretty much instantly once I started moving again. I've been able to reduce it by washing the lenses with washing-up liquid and not thoroughly rinsing it. Think I heard about that trick on this forum somewhere.

Not noticed a problem with indicators and yellow lenses, though I don't use them very often, normally it's sunny and I'm using the dark lenses or it's dark and I use the clears. Yellow lenses do seem to improve contrast in overcast or dawn/dusk conditions though.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:02 pm

gururug wrote: By the way, have you all seen this;

http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/microsite/movies/
There is something about that stumpjumper moive that i find disturbing...an interesting marketing scheme from a bicycle manufacturer i think :shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Prescription lenses, and none of "composite" units from BBB, Rudy Project et al fit my face, I got some Bolle safety and had tinted lenses made up for them.

531db

Postby 531db » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Uvex safety with clear and tinted lenses.

Uncool, but since when have I been cool? 8)

Mr888

Re: Glasses for riding

Postby Mr888 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Ebay turns up these

Ebay cycling Glasses

Cheers

Michael B
You're better off buying tradies' UV safety glasses from Bunnings (around $7) they look exactly the same and probably do just as much. No interchangable lenses, but at an eighth off the price of eBay's, you can buy three and still have change.

DrEvil123

Re: Glasses for riding

Postby DrEvil123 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:14 am

MichaelB wrote:Tuco and a few others have mentioned their glasses and in particular ones with interchangeable lenses.

After my last few downhill runs, I am beginning to see the importance of these, and was wondering what people use.

Ebay turns up these

Ebay cycling Glasses

Cheers

Michael B
I bought the exact same glasses from ProBikeKit. Well I paid for them at least and they stuffed up my order, still waiting for them to be shipped grr
Anthony.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll have a look at the Bunnings option and see.

Most of my riding is either dark o-clock or in daylight.

I'll keep an eye out.

Tuco, the "Anaconda" that you mention, I presume that is an online bike shop ?

Cheers

Michael B

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:07 am

MichaelB wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers

Michael B
No, real shop, here's the web site www.anaconda.com.au

PS - Hey, what's with the pink TUCO. Tuco is the 'ugly' out of The Good, the bad and the ugly. He wouldn't stand for that.
In fact here's what he'd say, "You want to know who you are? Huh? Huh? You don't, I do, everyone does... you're the son of a thousand fathers, all bastards like you." - Tuco, 'The Ugly' :wink:

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:53 am

O.K. - I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses.

So what's better - prescription riding glasses or contact lenses & off-the-shelf riding glasses? I've never had contact lenses, and I'm not sure if I want to start trying them.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:07 am

MJF wrote:So what's better - prescription riding glasses or contact lenses & off-the-shelf riding glasses? I've never had contact lenses, and I'm not sure if I want to start trying them.
I remembered the first time I played squash wearing contact lens... No fogging up and I could actually track my opponent through my peripheral vision. Felt so good and basically nailed the guy.

I think for the great majority, contact lens gives you far better peripheral vision and no distortions, hence a far far safer option in cycling, driving and any other similar activities. The only potential downside is with dessication in the wind. I personally have not had that issue although some can. With the current generation of disposable extended wear high water content soft contacts, they are really really comfortable. If you are worried about losing it, you can always carry spares. Mine is spec'ed for 1 month wear. At times I have out lasted that by a significant margin (not recommended though).

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:29 am

I'll take that as a 'yes' for contacts then. I must admit, the peripheral vision with glasses has been an issue for a while (head checks when crossing traffic lanes is a PITA).

Hmmm - search of yellow pages indicates there's an optometrist in the building I work in! I'll drop in (AT) lunchtime and start the process.

rider06

Postby rider06 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 am

tuco wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers

Michael B
No, real shop, here's the web site www.anaconda.com.au

PS - Hey, what's with the pink TUCO. Tuco is the 'ugly' out of The Good, the bad and the ugly. He wouldn't stand for that.
In fact here's what he'd say, "You want to know who you are? Huh? Huh? You don't, I do, everyone does... you're the son of a thousand fathers, all bastards like you." - Tuco, 'The Ugly' :wink:
Haven't seen the film for a while, didn't he ride a pink 'steed' like you?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:34 am

tuco wrote: PS - Hey, what's with the pink TUCO. Tuco is the 'ugly' out of The Good, the bad and the ugly. He wouldn't stand for that.
Got him !!!! :lol:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:06 pm

My husband wears prescription lenses (no chance of contacts) and has the magnetic clip on sunglass bit. They are quite far off his face so aren't the best for cycling, but look cool :)

We've been considering some of the Rudy's with the prescription bit inside, but haven't been able to find a dealer who has them for a looksee. Due to hubby's eyes, he can't have prescriptions done if there is too much curve in the lense (like on an Oakley Blade shape lense).

Has anyone seen these type of glasses in the flesh? Are they all they are cracked up to be or just marketing hype? Better still, does anyone have any?

Personally, I wear Maui Jim's in a wrap around-ish style. They are not specific cycling, but the darkest I could find with no reflection (I suffer from migraine so dark is important to me). Polarised too for fishing :D and pretty funky looking. I would recommend the brand, though they are a few hundred $$.

Moo...

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:12 pm

MJF wrote:I'll take that as a 'yes' for contacts then. I must admit, the peripheral vision with glasses has been an issue for a while (head checks when crossing traffic lanes is a PITA).

Hmmm - search of yellow pages indicates there's an optometrist in the building I work in! I'll drop in (AT) lunchtime and start the process.
Good luck. You'll find that soft contacts these days are so comfortable that you can't even feel it in your eyes. And they are getting better and better at correcting astigmatism. And with my present extended wear, I don't even have to take them out when I sleep, which equates to significant savings in cleaning solutions. You'll never want to go back to regular glasses.

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:44 pm

I've got an appointment booked for the end of next week with the optometrist. Hopefully, my eyes are compatible.

pospete

Postby pospete » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:39 pm

sogood wrote:
MJF wrote:I'll take that as a 'yes' for contacts then. I must admit, the peripheral vision with glasses has been an issue for a while (head checks when crossing traffic lanes is a PITA).

Good luck. You'll find that soft contacts these days are so comfortable that you can't even feel it in your eyes. And they are getting better and better at correcting astigmatism. And with my present extended wear, I don't even have to take them out when I sleep, which equates to significant savings in cleaning solutions. You'll never want to go back to regular glasses.

I hav'nt put glasses on in years. For ease of use I use the daily disposables, which I buy on line. I find them to be cheap but so easy, just take them out each night, and put new ones in in the morning. Having had them a while now I have no problem keeping them in all day, just occasionally using eye drops, mostly dry hot days in the summer. No problems with cycling either, tho I use sunglasses sometimes.
Talk to the hand

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:13 pm

pospete wrote:I hav'nt put glasses on in years. For ease of use I use the daily disposables, which I buy on line. I find them to be cheap but so easy, just take them out each night, and put new ones in in the morning. Having had them a while now I have no problem keeping them in all day, just occasionally using eye drops, mostly dry hot days in the summer. No problems with cycling either, tho I use sunglasses sometimes.
Suggest that you revisit your optometrist and get one of these extended wear version. These have even higher water content (meaning even more comfortable) and can be worn for up to a month or more at a time, all without the need to remove at night nor clean/soak. Again, throw away single use. The only problem is that one has to keep an entry in the diary to remind oneself to change.