I won't use my Thule ProRide after I saw this.

ValleyForge

I won't use my Thule ProRide after I saw this.

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Apologies if I have come down in the last shower, but I have to get rid of my ProRides after I saw this.

I know it is not the current model, but there are a lot of these out there.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

queequeg

Re: I won't use my Thule ProRide after I saw this.

Postby queequeg » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm

I have a Thule Euroway Tow Ball mounted rack, and I would never trust the locks on the clamps (which I didn't buy anyway).

Here is what I do..

1) Rack onto towball, lock the handle so you can't remove the rack from the ball
2) Chain wrapped around rack and through the D-Shackle holes on the chassis of the car. So, rack/towbar combo can't be removed from car
3) Each bike on the rack is locked through the cross beams on the rack itself, through the frame and both wheels
4) When leaving the car unattended with the bikes on, it is always parked within line of sight
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 pm

I'm going to have to try this now....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Not good.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:32 am

That’s shocking how quick it was.

Just goes to show, if your bike is outside your car it needs to be in line of sight and preferably chained to something that can’t be unscrewed from the car easily.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

Nothing is foolproof - all the people who have had bikes pinched from their apartment block's 'secure' cages know this. If crooks want to steal something they will always find a way. If one doesn't wish to become a victim, then one must remain vigilant and minimise the likelihood of their gear being pinched.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 pm

queequeg wrote:I have a Thule Euroway Tow Ball mounted rack, and I would never trust the locks on the clamps (which I didn't buy anyway).
Here is what I do..
1) Rack onto towball, lock the handle so you can't remove the rack from the ball
2) Chain wrapped around rack and through the D-Shackle holes on the chassis of the car. So, rack/towbar combo can't be removed from car
3) Each bike on the rack is locked through the cross beams on the rack itself, through the frame and both wheels
4) When leaving the car unattended with the bikes on, it is always parked within line of sight
Do you drive with all those chains and (I'm assuming) cable locks still on the bikes/rack? In all truth, anything you do (except for point 4) can be quickly defeated by a well-equipped pro bike thief. Bolt cutters, small portable grinders etc will go thru virtually anything in no time at all. Really the locks on bike racks (and almost all bike locks) are there to deter the opportunist kids and druggies while also hopefully making the pros look for an easier target. Car alarms that go off if the rack is touched will scare off anyone but the coolest pro but are prone to false alarms.

Have to say that the method shown in the video was exceptionally quick and easy tho!

Richard

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

What causes the clamp to release?
Does it release when the arm tilts forward? Or is it just a case of it not clasping it's hand curve around far enough so it just slides out?

My interpretation of some insurance policys was that an "approved lock" still needs to be used on locking racks and inside a station wagon anyway. And that any racks and securing point must be "secure" which I assume means invincible, ie stronger and harder to cut than the lock?
They seemed worded so that basically unless they angle grinder your approved D lock it's going to be denied.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm

The clamp is plastic and can be manipulated, owing to the design - two jaws coming together - and the material, which is pliable.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
queequeg wrote:I have a Thule Euroway Tow Ball mounted rack, and I would never trust the locks on the clamps (which I didn't buy anyway).
Here is what I do..
Do you drive with all those chains and (I'm assuming) cable locks still on the bikes/rack? In all truth, anything you do (except for point 4) can be quickly defeated by a well-equipped pro bike thief. Bolt cutters, small portable grinders etc will go thru virtually anything in no time at all. Really the locks on bike racks (and almost all bike locks) are there to deter the opportunist kids and druggies while also hopefully making the pros look for an easier target. Car alarms that go off if the rack is touched will scare off anyone but the coolest pro but are prone to false alarms.

Have to say that the method shown in the video was exceptionally quick and easy tho!

Richard
Yes, I drive the car like that. It's not as horrific as it sounds. The purpose of the chain is mostly to deter anyone from an opportunistic grab. The rack weighs 19kg when empty, so trying to steal the whole rack with three bikes attached to it, and make a quick getaway would prove highly entertaining to watch. The chain between the rack and the car is just to make a potential thief take one look at it and realise they need heavy duty bolt cutters, and more time than they would be comfortable with, especially due to point 4)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am

I have one of these and one of the newer model. I was aware from the start that they weren't secure at all, so I would never leave my (good) bike unattended on either of them. I do have a 'beater' that I have left unattended on it a few times, but then again I've also left the bike itself unattended in the same parking lot on a few occasions. Hoping the child seat on the back is a deterrent! ;)
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Good choice. You have done yourself a favour.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Interesting. A real eye opener to see how easy it was to remove the bike.

I supposed I could attach a chain/lock the bike to the roof rack when I am away from the car. But that seems a hassle, since I generally I don't make any detours (no drive thru, no stopping for milk) when carrying bike(s).
After all, the primary purpose of the bike rack is to help me transport the bike from place A to place B. The lock is just to stop the opportunist.

Another thought - the easiest way to break into a house is via the windows. You could place bars or shutters over them. Most people do not.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:51 pm

I dont reckon the new ones can be hacked like this. Ive got one of each so looks like I will be looking at an upgrade.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 am

I’m surprised that anyone is really surprised by this. Maybe for the cost, you would expect more, but I’d never rely on a manufacturers locking system for something as valuable as a good bike.

Don’t have one though, so not directly affected !!