Tasmania in Jan - accommodation and weather?

Hilary

Tasmania in Jan - accommodation and weather?

Postby Hilary » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 am

I'm planning a tour around Tasmania in January, and have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can answer? I'm planning to camp mostly, and will roughly be following the Giro Tasmania route starting/finishing in Hobart. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a bike-friendly place to stay in Hobart, where I could assemble my bike, and leave a bit of luggage (i.e. my bikebag). I'm thinking of either a campground thats easy to get to from the airport, or a backpackers in the city centre.

Also, what sort of temperatures can I expect in Tassie in Jan? Does the temp get much above 25C, or below 10 at night?

Cheers
Hilary

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:06 am

I'm organising a group to tour NW Tassie around the same time. We're going over on the Spirit of Tasmania. Roll on, roll off - too easy :D

Last time I was in Hobart we broke down our bikes and packed them into boxes in an arcade in the city (went there to get bike boxes from a bike shop) then got taxis to take us out to the airport. If I did it again I'd just use the airline's bike boxes - much bigger.

For handy accommodation there is the Hobart YHA in North Hobart, nice and roomy but you do need to be a YHA member. I'm sure there are other backpackers - Google it!

As far as temperatures go, rarely much over 25 degrees, 30 degrees is a hot day. Minimums don't usually go much below 10 degrees. But I was in Hobart once in January when the max was about 12 and there was snow a third of the way down Mt Wellington - so as all good Scouts know be prepared!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Hilary

Postby Hilary » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 am

As far as temperatures go, rarely much over 25 degrees, 30 degrees is a hot day. Minimums don't usually go much below 10 degrees. But I was in Hobart once in January when the max was about 12 and there was snow a third of the way down Mt Wellington - so as all good Scouts know be prepared!
Thanks for that, it sounds just like summer at home in NZ (and I'm assuming it could rain quite a bit too!)

I should be around the north-west in the second half of Jan, so maybe our paths will cross if youre there around then. I'll be on a blue mountainbike with black rigid forks.
Cheers
Hilary

Wollemi

Postby Wollemi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:05 am

You do not need to be a member of the YHA to stay, IP. but you wil pay about $2 per person per night extra. If I only use hostels about 3 times every two years, I make a saving by not paying an annual fee.

Additionally, I have found other hostels to be priced on par, easier to get a room to yourself, do not tolerate rowdiness - the YHA tends to turn a blind eye to it in the tropics. This is valid - you try MTB'ing Cape York or hard trekking in central Tassie - the last thing you what is Canuks playing gridiron to all hours in the quadrangle-style carpark afterwards. The last couple of times in Hobart I stayed in rooms upstairs of hotels. Closer to the CBD than the North Hobart YHA - this matters when Hobart is a very hilly city (which is much of its charm, BTW).
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tasmania in Jan - accommodation and weather?

Postby heavymetal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Hilary wrote:Also, what sort of temperatures can I expect in Tassie in Jan? Does the temp get much above 25C, or below 10 at night?
I've seen 36 in Strahan on the west coast :shock:

Summer in some areas can get quite cold overnight. If you are following the coast it doesn't get as cold overnight as some inland areas. Highly unlikely to get to below 10, but you know the weather. It can also get very wet in places.

Enjoy your tour of Tassie, I'm leaving here (Tassie) in January :D and heading back west.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:23 pm

You'd be unlucky to get rain in January.

Usually we'd get spring rains, but that normally clears up by December. You'll find that lots of tassie will be in drought, to be honest.

Chris L

Postby Chris L » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Caelum wrote:You'd be unlucky to get rain in January.

Usually we'd get spring rains, but that normally clears up by December. You'll find that lots of tassie will be in drought, to be honest.
You might be unlucky, but it's happened to me down there in January, and it was cold too. The way to deal with any latitude over 40 degrees south is simply come prepared for anything (something I do when touring regardless).

Something people often forget about Tasmania is the danger of sunburn. Seriously, when the sun shines there, it doesn't mess around and you can burn very quickly. Make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen and apply it often.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:08 pm

All fair points.

I lived there myself for the first 18 years of my life, and more recently for another 3 years.

I'm now 25, so hardly a long time ago :)

Hilary

Postby Hilary » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Something people often forget about Tasmania is the danger of sunburn. Seriously, when the sun shines there, it doesn't mess around and you can burn very quickly. Make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen and apply it often.
Don't worry, I'll be prepared. I live in NZ (ie RIGHT under the ozone hole!). It can't get much worse than here on that front.

Another question, am I likely to need to book ahead for the campgrounds in January? (this will be after the main xmas holiday rush - I'm arriving on Jan 5th). In other places I've toured I just turn up and have never had trouble finding accommodation, but I guess Jan is peak holiday season in Tassie. I'm planning on staying in national park campgrounds and holiday park-type places.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:48 pm

most places don't have booking facilities, but if they do(check), i'd book.

camping on/around new years is common practise in tassie, combination of new years celebrations and school holidays.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:21 pm

We're going down on Dec 27th and staying until Jan 10th. As there'll be 16 of us I've decided to book our camping on the north cost and at Corinna, for the first 9-10 days. We would find it difficult to go steealth camping around the settled areas :oops: altough we will have one or two total bush camps in the Tarkine and maybe en-route to Cradle Mt.

If you're travelling solo, or with just one or two others there's less of a problem, especially after Jan 5th - it gets a lot quieter, and Tassie is pretty quiet to begin with, at least compared to Victoria.

Speaking climatically, it's not inconceivable to get snow inland and towards the Central Plateau, even in January. Rare, but still possible. I'm planning on taking some warm-wear (beanie, fleeces, gloves) that I'd not normally take on a summer tour.
Mandatory helmet law?

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:05 pm

maybe it's just me growing up and camping in tassie... but you lot sound like a bunch of girls complaining about the weather and cold :P

Chris L

Postby Chris L » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Hilary wrote: Don't worry, I'll be prepared. I live in NZ (ie RIGHT under the ozone hole!). It can't get much worse than here on that front.
Which part of NZ? I just got back from a three week tour of the North Island (having done the south a couple of years back). Beautiful country.
Hilary wrote:Another question, am I likely to need to book ahead for the campgrounds in January? (this will be after the main xmas holiday rush - I'm arriving on Jan 5th). In other places I've toured I just turn up and have never had trouble finding accommodation, but I guess Jan is peak holiday season in Tassie. I'm planning on staying in national park campgrounds and holiday park-type places.
I'd think about booking ahead in Cradle Mountain and Strahan. Actually, there is a free campsite (at least it was free when I was there) just north of Strahan at the Henty Dunes reserve. I turned up there out of the blue and had the whole place to myself. It will only be of use if you only plan on staying there one night, however. I was at Cradle Mtn on new year's eve, and literally booked the last available campsite three months in advance. It's probably a little different if you'll be there later in the month, but you might think about sending them an email now just in case.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm planning on getting down to Tassie myself in early March for a 2 week tour. I hope you'll keep us updated on yours. I'd be very interested in your feedback and experiences.

safe riding.

Hilary

Postby Hilary » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:42 pm

I live in Wellington - I've only done bits of touring round here, just around East Cape, and parts of the South Island. Lots of mtb trips instead.

I'm thinking about keeping a journal on Crazyguyonabike during my tour, so I'll post a link if I get it organised, in case any one is interested!

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 pm

I hope you get a journal going Hilary, I'd definitly be checking it out.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:56 pm

Hilary wrote:I should be around the north-west in the second half of Jan, so maybe our paths will cross if youre there around then. I'll be on a blue mountainbike with black rigid forks.
My group of 16 will be going over on Dec 27th to tour the NW, Western Explorer Road and Cradle Mt. We'll be heading back home on the 10th of Jan, so we'll miss each other I'd guess.

Have a great tour :)
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:54 am

il padrone wrote:Speaking climatically, it's not inconceivable to get snow inland and towards the Central Plateau, even in January. Rare, but still possible. I'm planning on taking some warm-wear (beanie, fleeces, gloves) that I'd not normally take on a summer tour.
Caelum wrote:maybe it's just me growing up and camping in tassie... but you lot sound like a bunch of girls complaining about the weather and cold
Well, looking back at the tour, it wasn't too bad rain-wise. But we had plenty of cold winds and two days where it rained a lot. For a summer tour it was unusual to spend so many days riding in my rain jacket and wearing longs. Forgot my beanie, but the rain hat I have was very much used, and I used my full-finger gloves a couple of times. -2 degres at Cradle Mt one morning and we had rain, hail, sleet and there were snowdrifts visible in the crevices on Cradle Mt :shock: . No days that got above 30 degrees I think.

But we had a great tour. Pictures here.

How was your tour Hilary?
Mandatory helmet law?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Tasmania in Jan - accommodation and weather?

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:57 am

Hilary wrote: or below 10 at night?

Cheers
Hilary
I was in Hobart in Jan 08 - can remember standing outside my room sometime early evening thinking to myself '9 degrees?? Hasn't anyone told these people its summer??' It was damn cold. Even though it was (relatively) warm during the day.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Hilary

Postby Hilary » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:05 am

I think I was pretty lucky with the weather - I had one day where there were gale force winds and rain, but it was the day I was in Strahan and I was planning to have a day off riding anyway! Also the day going through to Lake St Clair it was rainy and very cold - this was the only day I wore my jacket and leggings all day. Cradle Mt wasn't too cold at all, but I met lots of people who had been there 2 weeks before and had days of rain/sleet etc - so I must have just timed it right. The rest of the time I thought it was fairly warm (but bear in mind that where I live its a heatwave if the temps reach 25C!) - had a couple of days of 30C when I was coming back towards Hobart. I did seem to have more than my fair share of head winds though - the wind seemed to change direction just when I did :( .

Hilary

Postby Hilary » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 am

Oh and my journal and pics are on the crazy guy on a bike site, under Tasmania 2009 (apparently I can't post the full link as I haven't made enough posts on this site to be regarded as legitimate!)

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am