Punctures, punctures, punctures

novice_101

Punctures, punctures, punctures

Postby novice_101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Hey All,

Anyone else get a LOT of punctures around Perth ? I'm not sure if I'm just really unlucky, or maybe my ass is just too fat (my punctures are mostly on my rear tyre) :lol:

I upgraded my bike recently from its factory tyres to Gatorskins, but still haven't seen a reduction in the amount of punctures I get. Happens on regular commutes, weekend rides etc. I'm getting one about once a week at the moment. Anyone ever used the Kevlar tubes ? I understand they're a bit heavier, but if it means non-interrupted rides that's OK. Current tubes I buy are - http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod20484

I thought the gatorskins might be a bit tougher but haven't noticed an improvement....

HappyHumber

Re: Punctures, punctures, punctures

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:42 pm

What's common between all of them? There's usually other tell-tale indicators of the cause.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:47 pm

I can't seem to find anything in the tyre, though I generally just fix it, and continue my ride, and then inspect the tyre thoroughly at home. So I guess any thorn, glass etc. could have fallen out by then. When I examine the tube in water, I always find a tiny little hole, so something is getting through and pricking it. When I check the tyre at the same point the hole appears on the tube, I see nada....Whenever I get a flat, I take the wheel off the bike again at home, remove the tube and clean the inside of the tyre, in the chance something was stuck on the inside of the tyre....

Perhaps I'm just unlucky....or not paying enough attention to thorns etc. on the road as I rid. But, wondering if others use specific tyres/tubes that they find durable....might be worth a try.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Following the Happy Humber's lead
Do they happen at the same location on your trip?
Where on the tube do they occur? Sidewall? Inside? Outside?
Where on the wheel/tyre do they occur (bit o'crap stuck in the tyre, nick on rim)

Normally if you're getting a hole in the tube w/out a hole in the tyre that's pinch flatting (snakebites). Which usually happens on the back wheel. The answer to that is fatter tyres or more pressure. I like fatter tyres, myself.

Oh, final thought. About 20% of the time I manage to pinch the tube when installing, resulting in a flat shortly thereafter
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:11 pm

+1

there's a heap of possible scenarios; it's just piecing together the clues.

I 'forensically' examine my tubes after puncturing. If there's one thing I've learnt to really hate about fixing flats it's the prospect of having to do it *again* soon afterwards. This usually even includes me briefly pumping air back into it on the side of the road or path to identify the hole location (and type/size) there and then - rather than later.

As a tip I always mount the tyres with the branding at the rim valve hole to give me a "12 o'clock" reference point on the tyre.

Think of the valve stem in the removed tube as at always at 12 o'clock. If you find the hole(s) at say 3 o'lock - thoroughly check within the tyre inside and out at 3 o'clock and 9 oc'lock to allow for 180deg flipping; if it's at ~5 on the tube; check (AT) 5 & 7 on the the tyre etc etc.

If it's not caused outright by something actively piercing the tyre and tube; I tend to get my little spates of flats after something has changed; eg. a new tyre on a rim; or the rim tape has been disturbed for some reason (replacement spoke etc). Something isn't quite happy... there's an exposed rough edge or chafe point where something isn't quite sitting right.

otherwise.... are you riding the correct pressure for your own body weight as well as the tyres recommended range?
--

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm

in addendum : I have had spates of flats on supposedly tough, more expensive tyres and as well as cheap and cheerful $20-30 LBS specials. I've also had exceptionally good runs from expensive and cheap alike....

sometimes you just gotta pay your dues and work out what will appease the puncture fairy.
--

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Cheers guys.

Mine seem to be right in the middle of the tube, so as if something has pierced the tyre as opposed to pinching etc. I'm definitely no expert in replacing a tube though so I would rule out me messing something up when inserting a new tube.

Can't say it's the same spot in the ride. Happens at various places but I guess sometimes it could be a slow one and gradually go down.

I did initially have a great run when I first bought this bike. Didn't have a puncture for first 6-7 months. Seems that since I've popped the cherry it keeps on popping haha.

I generally keep my pressure towards 120psi which is the max for the tyre. Generally somewhere between 110 and 115ish.

I guess I'm just going through a bad run. Just annoying going through so many tubes. I patch up the tubes I puncture but I keep those as "emergency spares" when I don't have any new ones left to go in.

commute

Postby commute » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm

I usually get a puncture every couple of months. I commute about 6km each way on 28mm tyres. Gator skins were an improvement on stock Kendas. Most of my punctures have been bits of glass, although I have had the odd double gee like prickle in there too.

The worst is when you put a new tube in but don't get all of the glass out of the tyre and end up with a flat the next time you ride.

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:06 am

Ya. The reason I brought it up really is I have one friend that has never had a puncture, though he doesn't cycle all that much. However another friend of mine said he hasn't had a flat in about 2 years. Lucky b@stard :lol:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:10 am

Pls don't misinterpret this, am not casting aspersions on your abilities.
Are you using rim tape ?
Have you reviewed your technique for repairing/installing tubes?
BTW I've switched to Schwalbe tubes like this :
as I had a bad run with successive Conti tubes. Haven't had a flat in 3 mths.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 am

When you say middle of the tube, do you mean the inside of the tube? - which may indicate spokes piercing the tube. Or do you mean the middle of the outside of the tube? - which suggests something piercing from outside the tyre.
I mark one side of the valve stem, tyre & rim with a paint pen as a reference point to locate punctures.
Also take the tyre off the rim and blow out with compressed air or water jet & dry, I've previously had some metal filing caught between tyre & tube, thus no tyre penetration could be found.
Does your bike route take you past Mt Lawley golf course? Few years back my commute went past there, I got a daily caltrop puncture till I worked out where I was getting them, then varied my route.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:04 am

novice_101 wrote:Lucky b@stard :lol:
I've had three genuine punctures in 16,000km over six years. As noted, that's mostly luck. Plenty more pinch flats, but that's me not watching tyre pressure carefully enough (I like'm low)

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Pls don't misinterpret this, am not casting aspersions on your abilities.
Are you using rim tape ?
Have you reviewed your technique for repairing/installing tubes?
BTW I've switched to Schwalbe tubes like this :
as I had a bad run with successive Conti tubes. Haven't had a flat in 3 mths.

I take no offense, I'm definitely not ruling myself out as the problem :) I do tend to be a little impatient when changing tyres if I'm commuting, as I'm time poor, but normally I take my time, and I don't SEEM to be catching the tube when I'm putting it in, but who knows. I don't even know what rim tape is :lol:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am

novice_101 wrote:II don't even know what rim tape is :lol:
Sheldon Brown can tell you What Every Cyclist Should Know About Flat Tires

Knox_Harrington

Postby Knox_Harrington » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm

You really have to look closely at the tyre after a flat and find and remove the culprit before replacing your tube. The tip from Happy Humber above about using the branding on the tyre and valve stem as a reference point is invaluable. That is seriously one of the best pro-tips you can ever get for riding a bike in a city full of broken glass so pay attention to that one!

I'd also say make sure you partially inflate your new tube before putting it in to make sure it's circular and sitting up nicely inside the tyre before pulling the bead over the top of the rim. That should help avoid pinching issues.

It's definitely hard to be methodical on the side of the road with your bike in a state of disrepair and the clock ticking, but if you can stay cool and really think about what you're doing it saves so much time in the long run!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:08 pm

when looking at any hole a the tube; think of it where would appear when inflated.... Remembering they're more donut shaped when normally inflated, with the valve stem pointing inwards.

When you said 'middle' of the tube - this could still possibly mean to me the inner diameter (nearest the spoke ends) or the outer diameter (nearest the the road contacting tread surface) Anywhere in between would more suggest a rim problem or more of a sidewall puncture.

This is also another reason I like to be methodical when doing road/trailside repairs. Again; for anything other than the most obvious holes (usually rapid deflation aka. blowout) - I still briefly try to reinflate the punctured tube once it's out of the tyre to quick locate by feel & sound the hole to give me a quick assessment of what's likely to have caused the issue in first place.

I'm not racing nor playing for sheep stations; I just want to get back on my bike and stay on it til I get home an don't want to have to fix another flat before then! I learnt this the hard way on an Audax ride once... I think it was 4 repair stops over 200km, each a long way from home . Ultimately the problem was rim tape/spoke hole related; but I went through 2 or 3 of my own spare tubes another of someone elses as well as a spare tyre someone else was carrying folded up.
--

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Knox_Harrington wrote: I'd also say make sure you partially inflate your new tube before putting it in to make sure it's circular and sitting up nicely inside the tyre before pulling the bead over the top of the rim. That should help avoid pinching issues.
Yep, I partially inflate the replacement tube with my mouth before replacing, so as it is circular as you say. I sometimes struggle getting the wheel to sit first time around, in the area around the valve. Though I've changed my method lately to ensure I do that bit first, as I don't want to struggle getting that but on and causing a pinch once I hit the CO2 gas to inflate the new tube.

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Thoglette wrote:
novice_101 wrote:II don't even know what rim tape is :lol:
Sheldon Brown can tell you What Every Cyclist Should Know About Flat Tires
Good lunchtime reading that thanks :)

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:38 pm

HappyHumber wrote:When you said 'middle' of the tube - this could still possibly mean to me the inner diameter (nearest the spoke ends) or the outer diameter (nearest the the road contacting tread surface) Anywhere in between would more suggest a rim problem or more of a sidewall puncture.

This is also another reason I like to be methodical when doing road/trailside repairs. Again; for anything other than the most obvious holes (usually rapid deflation aka. blowout) - I still briefly try to reinflate the punctured tube once it's out of the tyre to quick locate by feel & sound the hole to give me a quick assessment of what's likely to have caused the issue in first place.

I'm not racing nor playing for sheep stations; I just want to get back on my bike and stay on it til I get home an don't want to have to fix another flat before then! I learnt this the hard way on an Audax ride once... I think it was 4 repair stops over 200km, each a long way from home . Ultimately the problem was rim tape/spoke hole related; but I went through 2 or 3 of my own spare tubes another of someone elses as well as a spare tyre someone else was carrying folded up.
Yes, I think I'll take things apart this evening and check the tyre and rim more methodically, there could be a foreign body in there somewhere. I HATE multiple-repair stops on the same ride. Really wrecks your momentum. On a positive note, I've noticed the cycling community is pretty friendly, as I'll get asked if I need help a lot of the time, and have actually taken up the offer once, and had a gas bottle given to me when I was in desperate need :)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:27 pm

--

novice_101

Postby novice_101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dasinc

Postby dasinc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:50 pm

I know this is a year old, but if anyone is interested, and not crazy about weight....I was getting punctures ALL the time. I almost gave up because of it. Then in a fit of annoyance, I got tuffy tire liners, thornproof tubes and gatorskins. I've not had a puncture since.....over 2 years now.
Well worth the extra weight.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:11 am

So far the only punctures I've got in Perth have been double Gs, a 25mm nail and a metal staple. I figure any tyre and liner would have been punctured by the nail and those cursed double Gs, although they might have stopped the staple. So far, I'm happy enough on regular tyres and tubes.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Mububban wrote:.. double Gs, a 25mm nail and a metal staple.
yep, add in a shark tooth shaped shard of glass to that list for me.

BrisBoy

Postby BrisBoy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

We have a big problem with caltrop (tri corner jacks? Goat's head ? Bull head? ) burrs where I live and I ended up buying some tubeless silicone based sealant to run inside my tubes as I was having flats almost every ride . It's been extremely effective so far. You can get presta tubes with removable cores or you can just remove the valve lock nut and squirt it in with a suitable syringe. I use about 50 to 60 mL in a 700c X 23 tube. Just another potential solution to the problem.