M7 Safety Alert Thread

vosadrian

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby vosadrian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 am

JPB wrote:Maybe trying to slow westbound traffic down so they arent cutting the corner?
It could be. The thing is that the guys who cut the corners are not going to change anything. They will ride the same way. But the danger is that someone coming out of the tunnel may now cross the oncoming traffic (potentiall at speed) with right of way and cause a crash with those guys who are flying and cutting the corner.

Now I am someone who uses the path and often rides pretty quick and cuts corners.... but I only do it when I can see around the corner, and I pick my times to quieter times when there is not many riders out. I will still go quick through this corner, but I will be more nervous about it now.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:01 am

vosadrian wrote:
JPB wrote:Maybe trying to slow westbound traffic down so they arent cutting the corner?
It could be. The thing is that the guys who cut the corners are not going to change anything. They will ride the same way. But the danger is that someone coming out of the tunnel may now cross the oncoming traffic (potentiall at speed) with right of way and cause a crash with those guys who are flying and cutting the corner.

Now I am someone who uses the path and often rides pretty quick and cuts corners.... but I only do it when I can see around the corner, and I pick my times to quieter times when there is not many riders out. I will still go quick through this corner, but I will be more nervous about it now.
Ah yes, I know the turn you are both talking about now. I'm careful around there any way because I expect people cutting that corner.

I make up my time on the uphills and the flat sections it must be said, I haven't seen the need to attack the corners.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Plenty of dumb behaviour happens on there, proof it's not "us and them" with the cars, if some people drive like they ride on a cycleway then they are probably some of the worst offending "drivers" too.

Cutting blind corners at max speed.
Riding 3 or 4 up into oncoming bikes making them ride over sticks/bumps on the edge.
Close overtaking in the same lane without even a shout when oncoming lane is empty.
Riding up hill head down struggling half blackout all over the oncoming lane.

There is no excuse for any of it.

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:16 pm

vosadrian wrote: Someone coming up the path heading north/east would come under the tunnel, and if they wanted to exit the path to quakers parkway, the would have right of way over people staying on the path heading west.
It is ridiculous that traffic continuing on the cycleway has to give way to traffic exiting. Someone has goofed with that marking, for sure.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm

There is a rat living at the Magpie tunnel corner, two nights in a row he has done a dash in front of me.
Cheeky bugger is going to cause someone to wipeout. Probably in league with the Magpie taking care of its off season.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:08 am

Jmuzz wrote:There is a rat living at the Magpie tunnel corner, two nights in a row he has done a dash in front of me.
Cheeky bugger is going to cause someone to wipeout. Probably in league with the Magpie taking care of its off season.
What corner is that?
Within my family Magpie Tunnel is the one with the exit that spits you into the middle of Glenwood because many years ago there was a magpie there that would harass my kids.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:08 pm

North side of the equestrian.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Jmuzz wrote:North side of the equestrian.
Ahh yes, I know the one.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:07 am

g-boaf wrote:
thomas1987 wrote:Has anyone heard news that there was a death near M7 cyclepath (at moonrise lookout) recently? Heard the accident occured when the cyclist went down the steep hill and didn't see the speed hump.
Yes, I have heard it and I know who the rider was, but I won't say anything further to that. :( RIP to the rider, and I want to offer my sincerest wishes to his family and friends.

Incredibly sad.
It took a while but the story is now doing the rounds on FB etc
I didn't know the guy so not really my place to publish names or details but sad story nonetheless

Smooth tarmac and endless tailwinds mate, RIP

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am

Took out a blue tongue yesterday about 11am on the climb heading north towards the Richmond line railway bridge. Didn't see him till it was too late. He didn't survive unfortunately. Got him with both wheels. Slowed down on "The Blast Section" coming back as a mark of respect.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 am

Jawa wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
thomas1987 wrote:Has anyone heard news that there was a death near M7 cyclepath (at moonrise lookout) recently? Heard the accident occured when the cyclist went down the steep hill and didn't see the speed hump.
Yes, I have heard it and I know who the rider was, but I won't say anything further to that. :( RIP to the rider, and I want to offer my sincerest wishes to his family and friends.

Incredibly sad.
It took a while but the story is now doing the rounds on FB etc
I didn't know the guy so not really my place to publish names or details but sad story nonetheless

Smooth tarmac and endless tailwinds mate, RIP
Cycling NSW shared the news and the get together in memory of him. RIP. Hopefully they can get rid of that speed bump.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 pm

A youth on a motorcycle close shaved me at speed around a kilometre north of Rooty Hill, northbound. I reported it to two police officers riding bicycles on the path whom I caught up with at Dean Park.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 pm

biker jk wrote:A youth on a motorcycle close shaved me at speed around a kilometre north of Rooty Hill, northbound. I reported it to two police officers riding bicycles on the path whom I caught up with at Dean Park.
This has happened to me quite a few times recently.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 pm

biker jk wrote:A youth on a motorcycle close shaved me at speed around a kilometre north of Rooty Hill, northbound. I reported it to two police officers riding bicycles on the path whom I caught up with at Dean Park.
I saw the two Police on there today, but not the motorcycle lout.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:39 am

vosadrian wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
That's the downhill right corner I think - I don't know what the idea of it is, I've never seen any people taking that exit. I'm also wary of taking that downhill too quickly given that sometimes people going uphill run wide.

If I were entering the cycleway at that point and saw a group coming downhill quickly, I'm going to wait for them to go, irrespective of right of way.
Not the downhill kink... the next one when you are heading South/West about 2-300m down. You kink right to go through a tunnel and then left to follow the path (then you go a few hundred metres to the creek with the longish bridge over it). On the right kink you can go straight to go up the quakers hill parkway exit. They have marked the path so there is a give way line if you are going right to continue on the path. There is a similar line for people coming down the entrance onto the path (straight in other direction). Someone coming up the path heading north/east would come under the tunnel, and if they wanted to exit the path to quakers parkway, the would have right of way over people staying on the path heading west.
It has to be an error. There's a Give Way sign on the entrance path but no sign on the main path (just the dashed line). I agree it will create some very dangerous situations. Perhaps Westlink/M7 needs to be informed?

syu

Postby syu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:58 pm

The proliferation of all these signs along the path has to be the direct result of all the recent queries "Is the path open?", "When's the path going to open?", "I don't receive any emails?", "Do they still send alerts?" from a few weeks back.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed May 02, 2018 11:42 am

I've signed up twice (and again now they are promoting the link) but have never had an email from it, not even a confirmation/welcome which these mailbots usually have.
I'm not convinced it works.

Good to see they didn't lock the gate this week for the puddle. There is still 1m of dry section and they have left it open, much more sensible.

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Jmuzz wrote:I've signed up twice (and again now they are promoting the link) but have never had an email from it, not even a confirmation/welcome which these mailbots usually have.
I'm not convinced it works.

Good to see they didn't lock the gate this week for the puddle. There is still 1m of dry section and they have left it open, much more sensible.
I went across here on Tuesday and there was much less than a metre not underwater, but still it was open. They must read this forum.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu May 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I passed 4 puncture repairs last night and 2 tonight.
Not sure if just chance or something spikey is around?

Lots of millipedes too, but I'm sure they are unrelated.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri May 04, 2018 8:25 am

I got a flat last night just near the Gt Western Hwy but I think it was a tube fail rather than anything coming through the tire.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sat May 05, 2018 1:41 pm

New active warning signs have been installed at the corner sections. For safety when a maintinance vehicle or crew is coming through or working in the section or attending an accident.
Every car/crew will be issued with a remote similar to garage door so they activate the lights before entering the section of blind corners.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Excellent.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Watch for glass between Cowpasture and Hoxton Park Road bridges.
There were 3 patches of finely smashed glass, strikes me as deliberate all ground in not just smashed bottle.

It is the section with houses right up on the fence so I have a suspicion there could be a nutter resident doing the thing where they are crazy about groups yelling too loud early/late or angry walker.

May just have been hoodlums though, but be on the lookout.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Jmuzz wrote:Watch for glass between Cowpasture and Hoxton Park Road bridges.
There were 3 patches of finely smashed glass, strikes me as deliberate all ground in not just smashed bottle.

It is the section with houses right up on the fence so I have a suspicion there could be a nutter resident doing the thing where they are crazy about groups yelling too loud early/late or angry walker.

May just have been hoodlums though, but be on the lookout.
I can't say I've noticed too many loud groups going through there, nor any cranky walkers.

Probably just some random person doing it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Watch out for glass just after the M7 entry/exit bollards on Camden Valley Way shared path.