What did you do with your bike(s) today?

10speedsemiracer

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm

What did I do to my bike today? Well Friday night actually. I ruined it.

Avoiding an oblivious Camry driver, I ended up horizontal. Rear derailleur contact on impact resulted in hanger thread being stripped. Surprisingly the hanger didn't bend but frame is now junk, technically. Pissed off because I'd only recently finished it (last weekend) by fitting new brakes and 8sp dt shifters.
I'm not going to make a decision on it until the ribs heal up a bit (bruising) but am a bit sad.
The bike is nothing special, a 90s Shogun Samurai but had cool wheels and everything was just right, 8sp Rx100, 5700 series 105 brakes, custom wheels, 28mm Vittorias etc.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:What did I do to my bike today? Well Friday night actually. I ruined it.

I'm not going to make a decision on it until the ribs heal up a bit (bruising) but am a bit sad.

The bike is nothing special, a 90s Shogun Samurai but had cool wheels and everything was just right, 8sp Rx100, 5700 series 105 brakes, custom wheels, 28mm Vittorias etc.
Know the sad feeling from a recent bike loss but also glad you are (relatively) unscathed.

Heal well.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 pm

TheWall wrote:
Know the sad feeling from a recent bike loss but also glad you are (relatively) unscathed.

Heal well.
Thanks. Had forgotten how shabby a rib injury makes you feel.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Dropped the stem 15 mm. A long way, but that is the spacer size :)
Felt OK on a 30 km ride, longer one tomorrow to test the new position

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Had to get my chain replaced as I noticed it had 2 split/cracked links:

This was after a 40km ride and shifting didn't feel sloppy in any way. I'm glad I noticed it before next week's hills event.

I've only done ~4000km on this bike, is that about normal for an 11 speed chain and a low powered rider?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Finally got around to lacing up the rear.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Mububban wrote:Had to get my chain replaced as I noticed it had 2 split/cracked links:

This was after a 40km ride and shifting didn't feel sloppy in any way. I'm glad I noticed it before next week's hills event.

I've only done ~4000km on this bike, is that about normal for an 11 speed chain and a low powered rider?
No it doesn't seem normal. I've not had that happen to me. I have multiple bikes on 11 speed chains (two Shimano, another KML X11SL and the last one on SRAM 11 speed) and none of them had problems. I'm not the most powerful rider out there, but I can go quickly when I want to.

Yesterday I cleaned up the cassette, chain and the pulley wheels on the RD, the bike is now running smoothly and silently again.

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm

I started to make a boat trailer, to fit onto my Giant "Innova".
Have not finished the boat yet. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 04, 2018 8:10 pm

After several attempts to get the laser print transferred onto aluminium I finished masking off to etch my first headtube badge. A bit rough, but it does look well aged

https://m.imgur.com/a/NTL7Wq9

Now I just need to make it curved.

Edit: sorry, having trouble with posting image from imgur via phone.
Last edited by find_bruce on Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix image
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pm

That's cool. What was the process of making it?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat May 05, 2018 11:40 pm

QuangVuong wrote:That's cool. What was the process of making it?
Wasn’t that hard, but from my experience there seems to be an art to making it good. I’m sure your skills would have no trouble with it Q.V.

Piece of alloy plate. Sand it smooth, but not polished. I finished with 600grit. Attempted to transfer a laser print by heat, then acetone transfer. Print transfer didn’t go that well so I touched it up with nail polish. Drop it in an acid bath for a few mins, rinse off and done. I rubbed it back a bit to shine up the raised sections (that were masked, but the masking came off in the acid). I’d recommend doing a search for some more thorough instructions. The acid bit is dangerous. It is apparently also possible to etch with a salt solution (I think) and 12volts.

Next attempt will be an inverse image, ie predominantly masked off. It should help stop the finer sections from losing their masking and getting etched.

Edit: thanks Bruce for the image fix. I tried about 6 different times to get it to embed.
F2 part of the logo is because it is going on my second fixie build.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 14, 2018 10:51 am

Finally got some new lights for one bike - the Ay-Ups were going a bit funny. They still work, but not that well any more. Took some effort to find a suitable replace, but it's done.

And swapped the TT bike onto the trainer, replaced the cassette on the trainer and tuned it all again to make the trainer run quieter and more smoothly. The weather is getting worse/much colder now so I figure I'd better get that working correctly.

Rode one bike yesterday in the wind and rain, got about 65km.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Slammed the stem on the gravel grinder

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Put a newer (spare) set of Dura Ace 9000 chain rings on the bike I usually ride. The old ones were worn out. They've done a lot of kms.

It was making an almighty noise today when pedalling under load. But no real chain noise... If still a problem I'll look at the press fit bottom bracket.

Fingers crossed.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 am

Finally acquired another retro training bike (well, sort of retro).
A 1990 Malvern Star Triathlete, complete with old Look pedals. Original spec was 500ex 7sp with BioPace rings
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Tue May 22, 2018 10:44 am

Zero offset seatpost came last Friday. Took it for its maiden voyage on Sunday to tweak the position and am about to embark on the first proper ride with it.

Certainly feels more aggressive and my knee pain didn’t flare up at all on the hilly bits like it can when pushed hard up hills (a bit over 1,000m elevation). 20mm further forward and 5mm higher than the old position. Feels nice.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Stuck the Hillman up on the hoist for a few adjustments, fitted new Vittoria Corsa single to the front and picked this up for the kid:
He'd better like it ...

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Finally finished the new wheels for the Pinarello

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Stuck some 180mm front Spyke Discs and a 11-40T 9 speed cassette on the partners bike. Discovered the front axle is bent on my Wellie-Bootin' bike after my spleen lacerating crash. Not sure I should do 70km/h on a 12" front wheel that has a bent axle... argh bugger it, got a new wheel for $30 off velogear, 20% off today

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat May 26, 2018 5:00 pm

nemo57 wrote:Stuck the Hillman up on the hoist for a few adjustments, fitted new Vittoria Corsa single to the front and picked this up for the kid:
He'd better like it ...
Hmm, spoiled kid. Very nice.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat May 26, 2018 6:33 pm

I did a long ride (longest in a busy month) in traffic to lunch. sat around all arvo enjoying high level discourse and waiting for rain to ease. then rode home in the drizzle as darkness descended. could have jumped on a train with bike to come home, but enjoyed the ride enough. traffic was reasonably well behaved. closest pass (<1m) was by a city council bus with two vacant lanes to get around me.

BTW, I was down a headlight after charging it a few nights ago with an expensive Jaycar vehicle jump starter that has usb charging ports. The headlight it killed cost me $115 so I am quite pssd and weary of the thing now. Though it is excellent at jump starting cars!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Still trying to work out what is causing a creaking noise when pedaling. It's not the chainrings and not the chain either, there is no noise from the chain itself.

And the cranks are not loose either.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:Still trying to work out what is causing a creaking noise when pedaling. It's not the chainrings and not the chain either, there is no noise from the chain itself.

Eliminate the easy first.

Check pedals, seat post clamp, saddle rail clamp, and stem for tightness.

If none of these, check the BB.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:...Hmm, spoiled kid. Very nice.
Yeah, well, maybe, but it was a stonking bargain - only ridden 4 times by the previous owner, and very expensive rides they turned out to be!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Still trying to work out what is causing a creaking noise when pedaling. It's not the chainrings and not the chain either, there is no noise from the chain itself.

Eliminate the easy first.

Check pedals, seat post clamp, saddle rail clamp, and stem for tightness.

If none of these, check the BB.
Don't forget the rear quick release skewer. That was the source of my noise but now eliminated after greasing all the contact points.