Rim tape crossing bead, tubeless

Jmuzz

Rim tape crossing bead, tubeless

Postby Jmuzz » Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm

New prime wheels from c r c, tubeless ready, on one section the rim tape is a mess and crosses up the side over the bead seat.

Will this cause failure to seal or worse could cause risk of tyre coming off rim due to being slippery and introducing a ridge?
Have already emailed c r c for their assessment, but want to know what others think too.

queequeg

Re: Rim tape crossing bead, tubeless

Postby queequeg » Fri May 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Looks like a shoddy job to me. Tape should not interfere with the bead.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Sloppy taping. Ask for a new roll of tape and redo it yourself. Be sure they supply the right width.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 pm

I did my first tubeless rim taping recently and had similar to you. The trick is to pull the rim tape very tight as you slowly apply it to the rim. This will slightly elongate it and therefore "thin" the tape out. Its hard to see from the photo but I wouldn't want any additional rim tape in the ridge where the tire should sit as you might find it leaking air and/or the tire not seating 100% tightly.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm

The instructions for Stans tubeless kits specifies tape 1 to 2 mm wider than the internal width of the rim. The tape would normally cover the bead seat in that case. The tape should not go up the sidewall though.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 pm

skyblot wrote:The instructions for Stans tubeless kits specifies tape 1 to 2 mm wider than the internal width of the rim. The tape would normally cover the bead seat in that case. The tape should not go up the sidewall though.
The extra width is to account for the fact that the tape goes down into the centre well of the rim. There should be no tape going up the sides of the rim at all.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Sat May 26, 2018 10:52 am

Photo from Stans video for installing tape on MTB rim. Similar video https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 2VgxLiWno8 for doing their ZTR road rims.

Also from Stans FAQ page: "The widths of our tape are selected with our rims in mind. Generally, we recommend tape that is 1-2mm wider than the internal width of your rim to account for the drop channel."

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sun May 27, 2018 10:54 am

It's sloppy, but it's not gonna make a difference to sealing or seating the bead.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon May 28, 2018 12:58 pm

It can also move on the rim when you're putting tyres on - depending on the tape.

I normally add a little contact adhesive between spoke holes, just a drop to help keep it perfectly in place.
The Velox cloth tape is great & is tacky like a sticky pad note.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Nate wrote:The Velox cloth tape is great & is tacky like a sticky pad note.
But no good for use with tubeless setups as is the case here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon May 28, 2018 5:33 pm

They only asked me for better images so far.
Slow reply time for them.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 am

They say that it's not a problem if it doesn't leak. Basically try it and see.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 pm

They seated fine and seeing the way these tyres (Schwable Pro One) lock onto these rims I don't think it's possible for the bump of tape edge to leak or for tyre ever to come off. The dodgy tape wheel held pressure overnight without any sealant added yet.

They seated with normal pump like there was a tube in there, even down in the channel they formed a low pressure airtight seal. It seals right down to a very tight fit against the rim bottom once the tyre expands out of the channel.

A bit tricky to get on until you know where to apply pressure, get it in the channel as usual but then you do still need some force to squish the soft sealing rubber on the bead down.

The good wheels tyre does have a pinhole leak in sidewall, which isn't confidence inspiring.
I assume it will seal up once sealant added, but that's still pretty dodgy and a worry. Gone a bit too far with the weight reduction.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Pro 1's are my tyre of choice. Stick 'em on, sealant, and leave them until worn out. I rarely know if I get punctures....