Punneet Puneet extradition status

human909
Posts: 8917
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby human909 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

(Not making excuses, just looking at the other side of the coin. Or being deliberately contrarian and potentially argumentative. :wink: )

find_bruce wrote:Like another famous fugitive, if he hadn't been so keen to evade justice he would be a free man by now


I almost feel sorry for him. There are plenty of reasons to do so. He was young and having fun with a 'toy' that pretty much everybody in Australia has. He went a bit to far and made a mistake. He panicked then and it he panicked and fled while on bail. Yeah he was young and a coward. But being afraid of consequences is quite common.

Instead the path he has now chosen has put him on the run from the law and responsibilities and it is all catching up with him. A decade of stress and anxiety and longer still...'

Had he faced up to his sins initially then he could be back on track by now.

Instead he's sentenced himself....


And go even deeper... In many ways I don't even blame these perpetrators. Because these people are mere products of the motoring environment that we have created for ourselves in Australia. And the sad truth is that EVERY day we are continuing to create urban landscapes based around the motor vehicle.

Most people who kill with the motor vehicle are just unfortunate symptoms of the underlying problem.

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:59 pm

human909 wrote:(Not making excuses, just looking at the other side of the coin. Or being deliberately contrarian and potentially argumentative. :wink: )

find_bruce wrote:Like another famous fugitive, if he hadn't been so keen to evade justice he would be a free man by now


I almost feel sorry for him. There are plenty of reasons to do so. He was young and having fun with a 'toy' that pretty much everybody in Australia has. He went a bit to far and made a mistake. He panicked then and it he panicked and fled while on bail. Yeah he was young and a coward. But being afraid of consequences is quite common.

Instead the path he has now chosen has put him on the run from the law and responsibilities and it is all catching up with him. A decade of stress and anxiety and longer still...'

Had he faced up to his sins initially then he could be back on track by now.

Instead he's sentenced himself....


And go even deeper... In many ways I don't even blame these perpetrators. Because these people are mere products of the motoring environment that we have created for ourselves in Australia. And the sad truth is that EVERY day we are continuing to create urban landscapes based around the motor vehicle.

Most people who kill with the motor vehicle are just unfortunate symptoms of the underlying problem.

As well you only "almost" feel for him and I am guessing that you are not really excusing him. But for those who are unfamiliar with the history, allow me to make a few points:

  • His "toy" that "pretty much all Austrlaia has" was a car driven in a built up area at around 160kph at night. This is nowhere near an action typical of others, they are the dastardly exception. You should see the pics of the damage!
  • He killed an innocent pedestrian and seriously injured another.
  • He ran from the scene, forgoing any assistance to the victims or the authorities
  • He was unlicensed at the time
  • He was drunk at the time
  • He pled guilty but then absconded the country using a mate's passport. That put his mate in a parlous state and his mate then then served 18 months of a 30 month sentence before being sent back to India with no chance of ever getting back to Australia to fhinsih his studies. That's the sort of "mate" that I would not want.
  • (Allegedly) he hosted a "Goodbye Australia" party the night before leaving OZ on his mate's passport. CLEARLY in touch with his guilt in the affair. :roll:
  • He has constantly claimed that HE is the victim but seldon offered any apology or regret outside of regretting his own difficulties. An uncle, his mother and others in his family have made similar assertions. In so doing, they have added insult and further suffering to those close to the real victims.
  • He avoided detection for number of years in India with his families help while his family claimed to know not where he was. (Indeed he was picked up by police in the presence of his immediate and extended family at a hotel the evening before his intended wedding.)

His legal strategy has been to stretch out the process while trying to gain some popular Indian support against those nasty racist Indian-hating Australians. In addition his many lawyers have tried to make their case that he is unfit to stand trial or that he is willing to stand trial in a fairer minded India. The problem with that is that he isn't going to stand trial in Australia. Trial has already occurred and guilt established with Puneet having confessed. All that is remaining is passing of sentence and then serving it. But then, I think his lawyers have struggled to find any real argument.

(Btw, He has also claimed on multiple occasions that his confession was obtained under armed threat by police wielding guns in his face among other dastardly actions.)

As it is, he has so consistently played the race card to his own countrymen that he has likely created a self-fullfilling prophecy. I expect that he WILL be subject to extra attention if he ever gets to an Oz prision. But somehow I am finding it hard to sympathise with a person who has so unscrupulously and cynically made his own uncomfortable bed.

I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public. It seems that they can see as clearly as those in Australia can see that this guy has no cause to cry to and he just needs to face up, recognize his culpability, serve his penalty and then get on with the rest of his life.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:If he is not in remand I wouldn't be surprised if he does another runner.

Sometime ago, and after about two years in gaol (from memory) his legal team finally got him bail, iwth surety posted by his family who had earlier kept him hidden from the law for about four years (again from memory).

In view of his past actions and those of his family I suspect that the police will be keeping a very close eye on him as the time gets closer and closer.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 29011
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
  • His "toy" that "pretty much all Australia has" was a car driven in a built up area at around 160kph at night. This is nowhere near an action typical of others, they are the dastardly exception. You should see the pics of the damage!
  • He killed an innocent pedestrian and seriously injured another.
  • He ran from the scene, forgoing any assistance to the victims or the authorities
  • He was unlicensed at the time
  • He was drunk at the time
  • He pled guilty but then absconded the country using a mate's passport. That put his mate in a parlous state and his mate then then served 18 months of a 30 month sentence before being sent back to India with no chance of ever getting back to Australia to fhinsih his studies. That's the sort of "mate" that I would not want.
  • (Allegedly) he hosted a "Goodbye Australia" party the night before leaving OZ on his mate's passport. CLEARLY in touch with his guilt in the affair. :roll:
  • He has constantly claimed that HE is the victim but seldon offered any apology or regret outside of regretting his own difficulties. An uncle, his mother and others in his family have made similar assertions. In so doing, they have added insult and further suffering to those close to the real victims.
  • He avoided detection for number of years in India with his families help while his family claimed to know not where he was. (Indeed he was picked up by police in the presence of his immediate and extended family at a hotel the evening before his intended wedding.)

His legal strategy has been to stretch out the process while trying to gain some popular Indian support against those nasty racist Indian-hating Australians. In addition his many lawyers have tried to make their case that he is unfit to stand trial or that he is willing to stand trial in a fairer minded India. The problem with that is that he isn't going to stand trial in Australia. Trial has already occurred and guilt established with Puneet having confessed. All that is remaining is passing of sentence and then serving it. But then, I think his lawyers have struggled to find any real argument.

(Btw, He has also claimed on multiple occasions that his confession was obtained under armed threat by police wielding guns in his face among other dastardly actions.)

As it is, he has so consistently played the race card to his own countrymen that he has likely created a self-fullfilling prophecy. I expect that he WILL be subject to extra attention if he ever gets to an Oz prision. But somehow I am finding it hard to sympathise with a person who has so unscrupulously and cynically made his own uncomfortable bed.

I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public. It seems that they can see as clearly as those in Australia can see that this guy has no cause to cry to and he just needs to face up, recognize his culpability, serve his penalty and then get on with the rest of his life.


Nailed it so hard it went right through the timber Col. This young turd (can't call him a man) and his repulsive family are as low as it gets.
For every point outlined above I have zero sympathy for him.
If there is enmity towards Indians in this country, he is, IMO a prime driver of it
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BobtheBuilder
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 am
Location: Remote NT

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby BobtheBuilder » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:If there is enmity towards Indians in this country, he is, IMO a prime driver of it


If there is enmity towards Indians in this country because of him, it's because they are racists.


... unlike most Indians it would seem.

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public.



The guy is obviously an absolute blockhead, his family not much better, why you would extend that to a whole nation is beyond me.

fat and old
Posts: 3539
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:If there is enmity towards Indians in this country, he is, IMO a prime driver of it


If there is enmity towards Indians in this country because of him, it's because they are racists.


... unlike most Indians it would seem.

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public.



The guy is obviously an absolute blockhead, his family not much better, why you would extend that to a whole nation is beyond me.


From what I've seen, because the nation as a whole through their media promotes the use of the race card, and goes so far as to claim (at times) that Australia is dangerous for Indians due to our hatred towards them. Google it for yourself. Particularly the hysteria getting about when Indians were supposedly being targeted in Melbourne. Maybe 10 years back, maybe less. It will coincide with the time this POS person ran the poor bloke over. Then dig deeper into the whos and hows of the assaults that were happening. The kidnapped and dumped baby. Etc etc.....

I have found in personal dealings that people from western Asia....Indians, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans (to a lessor degree) are much quicker than most other races to play the race card here. In many cases it's deserved, in many it's not. I have also experienced a latent racism or maybe just a serious superiority complex from more than a few West Asians, in particular those who wear the turban. I have to deal with the public on a daily basis (upwards of 10k over the last 18 years) where gaining access to their property is required, and I can quite honestly break down the attitudes of various races to a pretty accurate generalism. New money, entitled Australians in 1-3 mill properties under 50 y.o. are the worst FWIW :lol: I find that many people from 3rd world countries with a good education are quite arrogant as well, and will pull the race card out quickly which isn't surprising.

In honesty, I no longer know if my observations are factually accurate or confirmation bias, but they almost never fail when preparing a job.

Melbourne based experience.

BobtheBuilder
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 am
Location: Remote NT

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby BobtheBuilder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:03 pm

fat and old wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public.


From what I've seen, because the nation as a whole through their media promotes the use of the race card, and goes so far as to claim (at times) that Australia is dangerous for Indians due to our hatred towards them.


fat and old wrote:
I have found in personal dealings that people from western Asia....Indians, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans (to a lessor degree) are much quicker than most other races to play the race card here.


I can't really distinguish this from I'm not racist, they're more racist, but if I am racist it's because they actually are more [insert racist generalisation] than everyone else

Can't we just concentrate on what this idiot did? Why are some people so eager to make this about race? How is it relevant? No-one's saying white Aussies are more [insert racist generalisation] because one of them ran over a cyclist ! White Australians do rotten stuff all the time, but, quite sensibly, we don't blame all white Australians for it.

fat and old
Posts: 3539
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:02 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:Can't we just concentrate on what this idiot did? Why are some people so eager to make this about race? How is it relevant? No-one's saying white Aussies are more [insert racist generalisation] because one of them ran over a cyclist ! White Australians do rotten stuff all the time, but, quite sensibly, we don't blame all white Australians for it.


I was just pointing out why I thought Colin was reasonable in what he said. Quite often when dealing with this type of situation...expats being held/prosecuted O/S the race card will come out in the local media/population. Remember Schapelle,,,,the beauty queen being rolled by those inscrutable Indos? Puneet has tried repeatedly to use the race card to avoid extradition. If you want to blame anyone, blame him.

I'm an equal opportunity type of fella. I hate everyone. :lol:

Seriously.

Edit....by the way

No-one's saying white Aussies are more [insert racist generalisation] because one of them ran over a cyclist !


Bollocks. I choose to insert the word "Bogan" and/or "Tradie" into your statement. This sort of thing happens everyday on this and other cycling forums. The latent racism in describing Australia's driving patterns compared to overseas again the same. It's not called out as racism because we're describing "one of our own". You tell me what the difference is?

BobtheBuilder
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 am
Location: Remote NT

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby BobtheBuilder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm

fat and old wrote:I was just pointing out why I thought Colin was reasonable in what he said. Quite often when dealing with this type of situation...expats being held/prosecuted O/S the race card will come out in the local media/population.


ummmm .....

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public.



fat and old wrote:
BobtheBuilder wrote:No-one's saying white Aussies are more [insert racist generalisation] because one of them ran over a cyclist !


Bollocks. I choose to insert the word "Bogan" and/or "Tradie" into your statement. This sort of thing happens everyday on this and other cycling forums. The latent racism in describing Australia's driving patterns compared to overseas again the same. It's not called out as racism because we're describing "one of our own". You tell me what the difference is?


Firstly, bogan and tradie don't refer to a race. If you say a bogan cut you off, you're not saying white Australians are inherently dishonest, blah, blah, blah ... you're just making a classist remark about working class men.

We could get into a stoush about classism in modern-day Australia, which I think is a huge - and largely unacknowledged - issue, but my original point was, why are we getting distracted by irrelevant matters?

Surely it's now time to get back to hearing what is happening with this knucklehead who drove drunk, tried to escape justice and has been brought back to face the music.

Could somebody update on matters at hand please?

fat and old
Posts: 3539
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Ummmmm...I'm not understanding BTB. My apologies.

1.

I have been constantly impressed that the race card has not been run with by the Indian media or the Indian public.


2.

The guy is obviously an absolute blockhead, his family not much better, why you would extend that to a whole nation is beyond me.


3.

From what I've seen, because the nation as a whole through their media promotes the use of the race card, and goes so far as to claim (at times) that Australia is dangerous for Indians due to our hatred towards them.


4.

Can't we just concentrate on what this idiot did? Why are some people so eager to make this about race? How is it relevant?


5.

I was just pointing out why I thought Colin was reasonable in what he said. Quite often when dealing with this type of situation...expats being held/prosecuted O/S the race card will come out in the local media/population.


6.

ummmm .....


I dunno....I must be stoopid?

fat and old
Posts: 3539
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby fat and old » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:Surely it's now time to get back to hearing what is happening with this knucklehead who drove drunk, tried to escape justice and has been brought back to face the music.

Could somebody update on matters at hand please?


Agreed.

The latest:

SMH, 1. June 2018

'I will be killed!' Puneet Puneet wails in Delhi court

His lawyers have argued variously that he is mentally unfit to face extradition, that he will face racism in Australia if he returns, that the trial is a 'political' trial, and that he has kidney and liver problems and multiple other ailments.

Vali strongly objected to the application for a discharge. "My submission is that this application for a discharge is not sustainable under law and under the Extradition Act. It is not, as they have alleged, a media trial or a political case. When they applied for your permission to give doctors' evidence of his mental illness, your ladyship rejected it as an attempt at obfuscation. Now they are trying another delaying tactic," Vali told Justice Kaur.
Vali called the application for a discharge on medical grounds 'mala fide, frivolous and malicious'. "Even if he feels that his medical condition requires that he should not be extradited, is he even safe at home? Does he get constant supervision even at home? No. So the request is frivolous. He is a mala fide character who misused his bail to fly home on another person’s passport," Vali told the court.
Justice Kaur agreed to give the case another hearing on Saturday.



I guess that's pretty soon.

BobtheBuilder
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 am
Location: Remote NT

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby BobtheBuilder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:02 pm

fat and old wrote:Ummmmm...I'm not understanding BTB. My apologies.

I dunno....I must be stoopid?


Most of those quotes aren't from me.

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:41 am

fat and old wrote:In honesty, I no longer know if my observations are factually accurate or confirmation bias, but they almost never fail when preparing a job.

Melbourne based experience.


You may still be right in general and I'm inclined to the same thoughts. Which is why I am regularly pointing out the exception to the apparent rule here. It is hard to see any of these sterotypical cliches in the case of Puneet. The wporst that can be said is the long delays but if I was to seriously fight an extradition of me to, say, Israel, the same length of tiem would apply. We never did get Chritopher Skase back from Majorca.

If he never gets extradited (it's never easy to get someone extradited if they fight it) it not likely to be because of lack of commitment to justice on the sub-continent or racist elements in their system though my guess is that that would be the cry over here.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:07 pm

In court again today. Failed to provide a medical report into Puneet's various conidtions (alleged). Are now required to submit those by 23 August.

Just another delay or failure on his part with no valid reason. The system seems to be too forgiving.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:36 am

I notice all through the years of fighting this case that Puneet's lawyers are constantly basing much argument on Puneet allegedly not being fit to be tried. That argument is only offering an (unsubstantiated) defence against Puneet standing trial.

The thing is no-one is seeking extradition to Australia to stand trial. The trial was dealt with in early 2009. It is only for the sentencing of Puneet and the carrying out of that sentence that Australia is seeking his return.

There has been a string of farcical defences and defences against straw men offered up over the last five years since Puneet was located and arrested in India.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
Cheesewheel
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I notice all through the years of fighting this case that Puneet's lawyers are constantly basing much argument on Puneet allegedly not being fit to be tried. That argument is only offering an (unsubstantiated) defence against Puneet standing trial.

The thing is no-one is seeking extradition to Australia to stand trial. The trial was dealt with in early 2009. It is only for the sentencing of Puneet and the carrying out of that sentence that Australia is seeking his return.

There has been a string of farcical defences and defences against straw men offered up over the last five years since Puneet was located and arrested in India.

I imagine jumping bail of this sort warrants an extra judiciary appearance or two.
Go!Run!GAH!

User avatar
cycles gitane
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby cycles gitane » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm

More of the same delaying tactics. See below

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/ju ... 4zw44.html
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I notice all through the years of fighting this case that Puneet's lawyers are constantly basing much argument on Puneet allegedly not being fit to be tried. That argument is only offering an (unsubstantiated) defence against Puneet standing trial.

The thing is no-one is seeking extradition to Australia to stand trial. The trial was dealt with in early 2009. It is only for the sentencing of Puneet and the carrying out of that sentence that Australia is seeking his return.

There has been a string of farcical defences and defences against straw men offered up over the last five years since Puneet was located and arrested in India.

I imagine jumping bail of this sort warrants an extra judiciary appearance or two.

Granted, though hardly of interest to the Indian courts. Let's get the blighter back to face his greatest fear - being sentenced for un-apologetically and recklessly killing an innocent person and grievously injuring another.

An irony of this case is that Puneet has created a self-fulfilling prophecy by continuously playing the race card. I think his movements in any Australian prison are going to have to be restricted, making any sentence harder than it needed to be. ces't la vie, que ser, sera and so on.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1681
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 pm

I do feel sorry for his lawyer. Imagine taking instructions from him/his family, and having to stand up in court representing him. Or at least NOT turn up as per the latest matter.

I guess if he gets extradited, one of the lawyers income streams will evaporate.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 6098
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

ValleyForge wrote:I do feel sorry for his lawyer. Imagine taking instructions from him/his family, and having to stand up in court representing him. Or at least NOT turn up as per the latest matter.

I guess if he gets extradited, one of the lawyers income streams will evaporate.

Without going back thru everything I've read I have the idea that he has jumped from lawyer to lawyer a bit. With the way that his family helped hide him for four years before arrest and then tried several times to paint Puneet as the victim of bad luck I hope the charlatans have not come cheaply.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users